Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: Third Pack in Cycle Announced - Knowledge and Defence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tilden
United States
Marana
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4495

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or are Hired Hands totally ridiculously good? EDIT: Like, power creep good... I keep thinking about how strong those stats are for 1 cost, combined with the Objective card and Hyperspace Marauder... even with the penalty they are incredibly strong allies for 1 cost in a game with no "summoning sickness".

I'm liking the increased focus on the Force Struggle, it seems like some of these pods will contribute very nicely to broadening the variety in the meta.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they include at least one major character/unit from the original movies per pack. I guess the General card in the link could be considered one (?) but he's not a "major" character. Give me a variant C3-PO, Ewoks, or AT-AT or whatever. I realize we are seeing only a part of the pack so maybe they will have more vehicles or characters I will get excited about.

Either way I will buy the expansions for at least this cycle just to add depth and options to what I already have. I am just not a big fan of the EU so if they veer too strongly in this direction I may decide to opt out. Don't get me wrong, I actually find the EU somewhat cool as they open up new possibilities and add variety, I just don't want to dilute my game too much with it where it becomes barely recognizable as Star Wars to me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:

Either way I will buy the expansions for at least this cycle just to add depth and options to what I already have. I am just not a big fan of the EU so if they veer too strongly in this direction I may decide to opt out. Don't get me wrong, I actually find the EU somewhat cool as they open up new possibilities and add variety, I just don't want to dilute my game too much with it where it becomes barely recognizable as Star Wars to me.


Same here, this force cycle is starting to delve into quite a bit of EU.

I mean, I do like the General Rieekan card, a nice character, much like how we'll see Admiral Piett in Balance of the Force. But who the heck is Sariss, and why is she a Sith with a blue lightsaber? That's Anakin's territory. Confusing stuff. We'll see.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
But who the heck is Sariss, and why is she a Sith with a blue lightsaber? That's Anakin's territory. Confusing stuff. We'll see.

I feel the same about the EU stuff. I don't mind a little bit, but I don't want it to overwhelm the game.

I've never heard of Sariss either, and I've read a fair amount of Star Wars books and comics. Turns out she's from the Dark Forces II video game. I guess you and I are the only SW fans who've never played those.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sariss
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
why is she a Sith with a blue lightsaber? That's Anakin's territory. Confusing stuff.


Way back when the video game Sariss was featured in released, it wasn't yet established canon that Sith always used red lightsabers. If I recall correctly, they still referred to them in game as "Dark Jedi". In the game there is a group of Sith and they use a variety of colors - yellow, green and blue sabers in addition to red.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The light side set is interesting to me. I've never played nor played against a light side deck that focuses first on controlling the Force and using that as a primary source of damage. Objective sets like this one could make that a viable strategy. The downside to that strategy in tournament play would be that it's likely too slow for tiebreaker purposes, but if it proved to be more reliable than blitz attacking, then it might be worth playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BakaMattSu wrote:
mpappy wrote:
why is she a Sith with a blue lightsaber? That's Anakin's territory. Confusing stuff.


Way back when the video game Sariss was featured in released, it wasn't yet established canon that Sith always used red lightsabers. If I recall correctly, they still referred to them in game as "Dark Jedi". In the game there is a group of Sith and they use a variety of colors - yellow, green and blue sabers in addition to red.
To add to this point, Sith and Dark Jedi aren't the same thing (though it appears the LCG will treat them as such for the sake of simplicity). The latter is merely a Jedi who turns to the Dark Side; the former is a separate tradition with entirely different training and teachings. The villains of the video game series in question were never Sith.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.