Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Cary (My 4 year old daughter) for the last few months or so has been helping my wife and I play Ra: The Dice Game she usually rolls the dice for her Mom or places cubes on the board for her or I, never has played on her own or had the rules explained to her before today. (She also helps us play various boardgames but that doesnt apply to this tale.)

Anyways today she requests that she and I play, I asked if she wanted to wait for mom to come out on break, she told me "No, I want to actually play with you." I told her ok and got the game out, explained the basics of the die rolling, and when she rolled would tell her what symbol meant what and how many points it was worth, never once told her what to choose or what was most advantageous. And she didnt just roll the max 3 times each turn either, sometimes she would stop after one roll, etc.

I didnt coddle her on my plays either, I played to win. Regardless I lost by 10 points. She at 60, I at 50. My 4 year old wins board games now...that she's playing, on her own, that arent pure luck (Like Trouble). Lord help me, I wish I was making this up, Im proud of her and sad inside at the same time. laugh

Is there a 'My kid beats me' microbadge? I cant seem to find one, I need it though.

Just found it:
mb
I'll be buying it shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been happening to me for a couple years now. Nothing but fun. The real challenge is showing them how to lose with grace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
It's been happening to me for a couple years now. Nothing but fun. The real challenge is showing them how to lose with grace.

Definitely, she seems to handle it fine when she loses at Trouble, or Dig & Play Dinosaurs, will definitely keep cultivating that as she gets older.

She won with grace too, after she counted out her score on the board (I told her how much she had) she went "I won! Good game daddy!" Made me happy. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the day... My 3-year-old is just playing Candy Land right now, but hoping to move up to some choice-based games soon! (The 8-month-old is still dealing with the urge to put the pieces in his mouth. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My youngest son, who is now 22, still talks about beating me at Firepower over a decade ago.

My three infantrymen were about to kill his sole survivor. Instead he rolls critical hit-critical hit-critical hit and kills all three of my men with one round each. He made a gun with his hand and blew the smoke away, the little smart-aleck.

I couldn't believe it, but it was good to see the kid so thrilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the day... My 3-year-old is just playing Candy Land right now, but hoping to move up to some choice-based games soon! (The 8-month-old is still dealing with the urge to put the pieces in his mouth. )

I snagged a copy of "Hey, That's My fish" in a math trade specifically because it came highly recommended for small kids. The Munchkin (age 3.5) loves it, although we don't always make it through a full game. She also enjoys Qwirkle, with the same caveat. It's been a while since I've pulled Carcassonne to try my hack for 4-year-olds that I got her brother started on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
I snagged a copy of "Hey, That's My fish" in a math trade specifically because it came highly recommended for small kids. The Munchkin (age 3.5) loves it, although we don't always make it through a full game. She also enjoys Qwirkle, with the same caveat. It's been a while since I've pulled Carcassonne to try my hack for 4-year-olds that I got her brother started on.

I have HTMF, and it's a good option to get her started on early... Carcassonne is one I've also got in mind for an early game (probably with some sort of variant).

I have an 8-year-old niece and a 6-year-old niece that enjoy playing games, so I've got lots of opportunity for advance test runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Cary (My 4 year old daughter) for the last few months or so has been helping my wife and I play Ra: The Dice Game

I first read this as she's only been your daughter for the last few months or so.

Congrats on having a gamer kid though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
jsdougan wrote:

I have HTMF, and it's a good option to get her started on early... Carcassonne is one I've also got in mind for an early game (probably with some sort of variant).

I have an 8-year-old niece and a 6-year-old niece that enjoy playing games, so I've got lots of opportunity for advance test runs.

My hack of Carcassonne for 4-year-olds: Draw a tile. Play a tile. If you complete a road/city/abbey, score 1 point per tile.

Hack of Qwirkle: tiles played must all be either the same symbol or the same color, but the restriction on identical tiles in a line is lifted. (Think of the old Popcap game Alchemy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it only gets worse (or better, depending on your point of view). My 13 year old son spanks me regularly, so much so that he has nicknamed me Wil Wheaton!!

Congrats on losing. May you enjoy many more losses with your daughter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When i was 7 i beat my dad a Chess, by 8 i was winning regularly, by 9 and older we never played chess again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nine year old beats me at Qwirkle. Every time.

Every. Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Baxter
United States
Bourbon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played MAGBLAST with my son and daughter and they both ganged up on me and took me out right away and I sat there watching them play each other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6-year old trounced her mother and I at A la Carte recently. It was fast and brutal. I was proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary, Carcassonne, Zombie Dice, Uno… The list of games my 6-year old trounces me at gets longer and longer every day. I wouldn't change it for the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
...I didnt coddle her on my plays either, I played to win.

I do not take prisoners when I am playing with my kids. I believe in teaching them to enjoy the game and at the same time realise that Dad is treating them with respect and not lowering his play to give them an easy win. They would regard this as condescending.

About two weeks ago my 16-year-old beat me at chess for the first time ever (we have been playing since he was about eight) and hasn't stopped talking about it. And how do I feel? PROUD.

Looking forward to the 12-year-old doing the same.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
osaekomi wrote:
My nine year old beats me at Qwirkle. Every time.

Every. Time.

Yes the 5 year old beats us in Small World with a disturbing frequency. I also second HtmF!, but I use the app on my phone it makes it great in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Dixit with younger kids, too. I don't have my own, but when friends come over, that one is universally loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got king of tokyo 2 days ago and my 10 yo beat me at it twice and she loves it.

BRILLIANT!!

I'm so excited she likes something decent that I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.