Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, I was able to play both the Bakehouse and the Market Woman, two cards which really seemed to work well together. All of a sudden, by picking only one vegetable, I received two free grain which I turned into ten pieces of bread which in turn allowed me to max out my family to five members without having to worry about feeding them.

Off the top of your head, what two or three card combos have you seen in play that really work well together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RVS70 wrote:

Off the top of your head, what two or three card combos have you seen in play that really work well together?

I've got Clay Pit and Quarry into play in the same game before. With one of those cards in play, Day Labourer is a very good square. With both of them, it's a monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 cards are great combo but considering you will be able to play them in mid-late game since the bakehouse cost 3 stones...i really don't know if they are worth the pick in a draft ...plus veggy is not always a free 1st action spot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
RVS70 wrote:

I've got Clay Pit and Quarry into play in the same game before. With one of those cards in play, Day Labourer is a very good square. With both of them, it's a monster.

So by placing one worker on the Day Laborer space, you come home with two food, three clay and three stone! Nice! What did you do with all those goodies? Pottery major improvement? The Well? Maybe a five or six room stone house?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RVS70 wrote:
JackRudd wrote:
RVS70 wrote:

So by placing one worker on the Day Laborer space, you come home with two food, three clay and three stone! Nice! What did you do with all those goodies? Pottery major improvement? The Well? Maybe a five or six room stone house?

I forget; the game was a long time ago.

(This is, of course, one of the common types of combos: two cards that both fire when you play onto a particular space.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RVS70 wrote:
JackRudd wrote:
RVS70 wrote:

My favorite Clay Pit/Quarry game was the one where I got them out on turn three. (http://www.boiteajeux.net/jeux/agr/partie.php?id=686411) I went first in a 5er game, and my first 6 actions were:

1) Academic
2) Take 3 Wood
3) Start Player + Writing Desk
4) Day Laborer
5) Businessman + Berry Picker (If I had played Constable instead of Berry Picker here, I probably break 60.)
6) Start Player + Clay Pit + Quarry

That game went well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we encountered another nice little food engine combo:

The Potato Dibber (where you get an extra vegetable when you sow)
Spices (When converting veggies to food, you get one extra food)
Lettuce Patch (Veggies on this card can be converted to four food)

Unfortunately, Wifey only managed to get two of these three into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lettuce Patch + Gardener (harvest veggies from supply instead of from field) is a pretty nice way to get 4 food a harvest and still have end game Veggie points in the ground. Gardener is a great Occ in general if you can get early Veggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On BaJ, 5 player, why play one broken card when you can play two.

Turn 1 - wet nurse and 4 wood.
Turn 2 - RSW and 3 wood (sadly start player was taken)
Turn 3 - start player with wooden hut extension.

Total bull, basically lover without the food and house limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:

And still having the Wet Nurse available if you build again. That's pretty sicknasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
scott3387 wrote:

And still having the Wet Nurse available if you build again. That's pretty sicknasty.

I am amused that after having witnessed your play of the Wet Nurse, your opponents failed in every way to delay or otherwise interfere with your assembling the goods for construction. Tough luck for them, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
thenobleknave wrote:
scott3387 wrote:

I am amused that after having witnessed your play of the Wet Nurse, your opponents failed in every way to delay or otherwise interfere with your assembling the goods for construction. Tough luck for them, eh?

I'm particularly interested in what player #5 did on turn 1. Assuming players 1-4 took Occupation, Occupation, 3 Clay, and RSW, what did he take? He didn't take 4 Wood (because player 1 took it), he didn't take 3 Wood (because 4 Wood is strictly better), so he must have picked something that's not a standard pick in the first set of actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually remembered it wrong on recheck.

4 wood, RSW
Wet nurse, 3 wood
Start player.

Yes it appears I'm playing with some interesting people...
They took occupation x2, 3 wood and start player. Not sure what that start player was about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Using the gamer's deck as well, I recently had the following nice combination in a five-player game:

storehouse keeper - gain a grain or clay when you take reed and stone. Nice to have anyway as I was planning to bake, although I actually rarely managed to take the RSW spot.
+
Raft - gain a reed or food when you take fishing. Again, nice card to play anyway, worth a point for a few wood
+
Pearl Diver - gain a stone when you take fisihing.

This gave me a fishing action from which my opponents would get 1 food (and so would never take it) and I would get 1 food, 1 stone, 1 reed and (usually) 1 grain. This was then generally my last play every round (as there was no competition for it) and gave me a great baking set-up and plenty of stone and reed for improvements and rooms. A significant step-up in a five-player game where the last play each round is usually just clearing up the dregs of the board.

I also found it useful that at the least the first two cards here also gave me a benefit I wanted in any case. This meant I didn't have to rush all three cards out, which I would if the cards were not useful in themselves.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesR wrote:

This gave me a fishing action from which my opponents would get 1 food (and so would never take it) and I would get 1 food, 1 stone, 1 reed and (usually) 1 grain.

Actually, you would not get a grain, only food + stone + reed.
Storehouse Keeper, as other cards like Woodcutter or Berry Picker, only works on the resources you get from the space itself, not from other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Gaehtgens
Germany
flag msg tools
Quote:
Lettuce Patch + Gardener (harvest veggies from supply instead of from field) is a pretty nice way to get 4 food a harvest and still have end game Veggie points in the ground. Gardener is a great Occ in general if you can get early Veggies.

There's another Minor Improvement that lets you collect those Veggies every round (meaning also in between the harvests), don't know the name right now - I'm afraid you need animals to build it though, so it's a bit of a way to get there. With Occupation Distiller (only a translation from German, but that's what it should be) you can turn that into another 5 food at Harvest. Also there's various ways to get that Veggie early in the game, like the Hobby Gardener (or so...).
I am just trying this combination in one of my games over at boitajeux.net.

Get drunk and enjoy your crudités...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game was one where I broke 70, because of a pretty sweet combination of cards.

Player 4 had:
Occ - Dancer (Whenever you use "Travelling Players", gain at least 4 food)
Occ - Magician (Whenever you use "Travelling Players" as your last action, gain an additional 1 food and 1 grain)

I had:
Occ - Puppeteer (Whenever another player uses "Travelling Players", you may spend 1 food to play an Occupation)
Occ - Street Musician (Whenever another player uses "Travelling Players", gain 1 Grain)
MI - Bookshelf (Whenever you play an Occupation, gain 3 food before paying the costs of the Occupation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I suspect you were also the beneficiary of the one opponent who had no clue what they were doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I'm going to finish on 60 in this game, again with a ridiculous combo: Patron (+2 food before you play an Occupation) + Bookshelf (+3 food before you play an Occupation) + Reeve (varying lump sum of wood; +3 VP if you end with the most Occupations in play). And a load of strong minors with no costs and only VP prereqs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Last night my son played Manufacturer (pottery, joinery and basketmaker workshop are all minor improvements and cost 2 less resources of your choice) and Guildmaster (when you build each of these you get a pile of bonus resources of the proper type). This is a killer combo because it's not really easy for your opponents to prevent you taking those 3 Majors, especially early in the game before stone is available. You have lots of flexibility about which resources you need, and it's hard to block all the possible minor improvement actions.

Oh, and he added on the Braggart who netted him an extra five points since he had a total of seven Improvements. He got style points for having two occupations wearing giant floppy purple hats too.

Combos that give you a single super-powerful action square (like quarry + clay pit powering up Day Laborer) can be blocked by determined opponents, especially if several of them collude against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is a great combo. Its hard to pull off because you have to renovate first, and that gives other people a chance to snag your improvements before you get a chance. And you have to play 2 occs that give away your plans. But if nobody else is making a run for your workshops, then its great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.