Subject: Getting repeatedly stomped by Gabe & Sneakdoor Beta as HB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Downey
Canada
KITCHENER
ON
flag msg tools
I'm trying to make an ice-heavy HB deck, but my friend always runs Gabe with Sneakdoor Beta. The obvious solution is to play super slow and ice up all three central servers, but I end up with a handful of Agendas that way, and a stimhack really ruins my day.

Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
use rototurret and aggressive secretary to get rid of the sneakdoor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
use rototurret and aggressive secretary to get rid of the sneakdoor
This times a million. Lately I have been a huge proponent of putting strong, yet porous, program trashing ICE on Archives. People only run archives because they usually have a program like Datasucker or Sneakdoor. It has become quite popular in NY to drop a Grim or an Ichi down there guarding your archives. Works wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that shuffle agendas back into R&D help slow the game down when you're fighting gabe. If you can just keep Gabe from winning for a while, then you can get your defenses up and ready to go. Jackson Howard is, as always, a superstar. Just draw with him until you have 8 cards, and then discard 3 agendas into archives. If gabe ever runs archives, shuffle them into R&D when he's about to access.

Rework can do the same thing on a smaller scale.

Generally speaking, if you put one or two ice on Archives, even relatively small ice, it isn't worth using sneakdoor. Drop an Eli 1.0 and a rototurret over there, and there's a good chance that he'll trash his sneakdoor for the memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
i have flare'd,ichi'd,and archer'd archives when i knew it was essential to the runner's strat. it can be a bad play, but when it's the play that lets you win, it's the right one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could you post your deck maybe? I think a lot of big ice decks neglect the importance of cheap ETR ice to prevent snowballing success early. Gabe yes, and Datasucker decks on particular. Roto it's fun if you are playing against people who take too many chances but 4 cost and its weakness to Parasites can make it really unreliable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Downey
Canada
KITCHENER
ON
flag msg tools
I can't post it right now, but it does have a bunch of cheap ice. From memory, I think it has Ice Wall, Wall of Static and Enigma. Other higher cost ice includes Rototurret, Ichi 1.0, Heimdall and Tollbooth. I just picked up Future Proof and Creation and Control (the only data packs/expansions I have so far), so Eli 1.0 might make his way in.

I'll definitely try throwing Rototurret or Ichi on there. I never have any luck at playing Aggressive Secretary - I seem to always have it in my hand when they get through to HQ. That's probably just a coincidence though, so I'll keep it in mind for future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had that exact same problem until I discovered the wonders of cheap ETR ice.

Then my opponent adjusted, so I just switched to Jinteki and all of her Gabe-running skills backfired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Downey
Canada
KITCHENER
ON
flag msg tools
So do you ice up archives in advance of Sneakdoor being played? I find if I don't, I'll have been tempted to use that ice elsewhere when Sneakdoor finally shows up. I suppose I could keep it in hand and wait, but then it's taking up room there, which might not be ideal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always, always ICEd Archives ASAP against Criminals. I find it's worth the 1-2 turns slowdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
The Rototurret on archives is a good idea. Forces your opponent to at least have out a sentry breaker, Crypsis or SMC before running Sneakdoor.

If it is the Desperado + Gabe ID economic advantage you are worried about, get a piece of cheap EtR ICE on archives so that he breaks even at best. With a breaker like Corroder, a Wall of Static takes 2 to break. If Gabe gains 3 credits for the successful run and bricks on HQ, he basically spent a click for a credit and will lose money on any subsequent runs that turn.

If it is agendas you are worried about, Jackson Howard works very well here. Over-draw, discard agenda[s] into archives, use Jackson Howard cycle back into R&D. This will buy you more time to set up your defenses while Gabe keeps pulling nothing from on HQ.

Finally, don't be afraid to give Gabe access to R&D. I'm not saying "don't ICE R&D", but if you see Sneakdoor, defend Archives first and relax on R&D defense. It is ok. You can always out-draw the runner if you have them locked out of HQ and they are only accessing one card from R&D at a time. That's a race you can win, especially if you are playing fast advance without many trashable assets.

You want to keep R&D ICEd but don't necessarily drain your economy to rez until you see a splashed Indexing, Maker's Eye or R&D Interface, at which point you rez. This will allow you to keep enough money around to out-draw the runner while keeping the spare cash to score a Biotic labor/3 advance agenda after you draw into it, or to be able to econ up to mid-range ICE and start playing and rezzing those. You get into a Rhythm of "0]Mandatory Draw 1]Draw 2]Credit or Play 3] Credit or Play." Jackson Howard helps you do this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Program trashing on Archives is great. Big ICE is one of Gabe's best matchups, though, so there's only so much you can do there.

You can try the opposite, where you rush agendas in a remote with minimal central defenses, but that requires a good starting hand, so it's not always possible. Rush HB does it more consistently than Big ICE, not sure which you're running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.