Caylus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gold as substitute? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Brooks
United States
California
flag msg tools
I remember reading in the rules that a gold cube can be used as a substitute for any other resource cube for any purpose. I can no longer find that in my rulebook. Is it there, or was I dreaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a rule in Keyflower, but has never been a rule for Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joymaker wrote:
I remember reading in the rules that a gold cube can be used as a substitute for any other resource cube for any purpose. I can no longer find that in my rulebook. Is it there, or was I dreaming?

It is not there.

Gold is a resource like any other so if a building or other use (market, building a section of the castle) requires a cube of any kind, gold is a kind and can be used. But it's not wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, that is a rule in Caylus Magna Carta (the card game version), but not original Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
That is a rule in Keyflower, but has never been a rule for Caylus.

The Brussels bureaucrats will doubtless be turning their attention to that anomaly as we speak, and they'll issue directives on standardisation of such issues across all Euro games very soon - probably before you can memorise the Maastricht treaty in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:
If I remember correctly, that is a rule in Caylus Magna Carta (the card game version), but not original Caylus.

This. I think you got confused between this and CMC. Gold is wild in CMC but not Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or perhaps you had this idea because in the castle you can build with any 3 ressources (including gold) ... this is also the case for building that need a ressource you choose (white cube on the tile)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
LudoH wrote:
Or perhaps you had this idea because in the castle you can build with any 3 ressources (including gold) ... this is also the case for building that need a ressource you choose (white cube on the tile)

What is scary is that I immediately began thinking of scenarios where using a gold cube to build the castle would be worthwhile. They all start with, you need one more section to win a favor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly when you'd do it. Or to deny an opponent a favor. Or to fill a section of the castle and force the end of the phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.