Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flower Power and UN Intervention rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing some research on this one, and the answer is not explicitly stated anywhere that I've found, though this canNOT be the only time that this situation has happened:

I'm a US Player under the effects of Flower Power. I have a war card in my hand (Arab-Israeli), and I also have UN Intervention. Can I avoid the 2 VP penalty by playing Arab-Israeli war with UN Intervention? Nothing explicitly says that I can or cannot, but Jason Mathews does state:

"Put another way, after this event is played, every time a war card is played by the US player, the USSR scores 2 VP. This does not apply to war cards whose affects have been cancelled by another event."

Source:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@158.kVChbRa1KB8.14@.1dcf...

But the FAQ only delineates cancellation of the event by Space Race or other event (e.g., Camp David).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could read this one either way but given that UN Intervention explicitly says 'the Event is cancelled' I'd go with no VP being awarded for Flower Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caerid is just some guy
United States
Cannon Falls
MN
flag msg tools
Can't I even get privacy in the bathroom?
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it this way: Would the peace-niks be upset at the government if we used our influence in the U.N. to stop a war from happening? Nope. The event being played is U.N. Intervention, not the war, and the U.N. event gives you the ops. No VP for USSR in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Your responses are certainly intuitive, and my opponent agreed that cancellation of the event, via any manner, is sufficient to negate the points award to the Soviets.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
butik man
msg tools
Well I am not rules officials but i think you are wrong. The printing on the card may be updated after this but here is how it stands

Flower Power*:
USSR gains 2 VP for every subsequently
US played "war card" (played as an event
or Operations)
unless played on the space
race.

There is noting about cancellation of the event.
The FAQ implies that if playing the card can be cancelled somehow then the VP is not awarded. Of course playing on Space Race doesn't reward VP as it's explicitly says on the card.

59. Flower Power
Q. When exactly does the USSR gain victory points based on this card?
A. Because of the high ops value of the card, all war cards played for Ops or the EVENT will be subject to the 2 VP penalty unless made
unplayable by a subsequent card. War Cards played on the Space Race will be exempt from the penalty

I would say, that the peace-niks are also upset regardless of the use of the card. The mere word "WAR" gives them creeps.
So UN interventon or not, playing for OPS (other then the sapce race), or playing the event, US is punished with 2 VP. Camp Davis accord doesn't help with the Arab-Israeli WAR card. If played by US, they get punished
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
Could read this one either way but given that UN Intervention explicitly says 'the Event is cancelled' I'd go with no VP being awarded for Flower Power.

The more I think about this, the less I'm sure about the answer. The USSR gets the VPs whether or not the event is triggered and UN Intervention technically does not cancel the event, it merely allows you to play the card without triggering the event.

I'm going with butik man on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the crux of the issue is whether the event is "played." I agree, I'm not 100% sure, but I would tend to say that a canceled event is not played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
I think the crux of the issue is whether the event is "played." I agree, I'm not 100% sure, but I would tend to say that a canceled event is not played.

Flower Power doesn't care whether the event is played or not, just whether the card is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Flower Power doesn't care whether the event is played or not, just whether the card is played.

Hmmm, good point, but in game terms, I thin we also need to figure out if UN Intervention is the official event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

According to Jason's quote below, it cares if the card is played as long as the event is playable (which I find weird, but what are you gonna do.)

"Put another way, after this event is played, every time a war card is played by the US player, the USSR scores 2 VP. This does not apply to war cards whose affects have been cancelled by another event."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:

According to Jason's quote below, it cares if the card is played as long as the event is playable (which I find weird, but what are you gonna do.)

So the next question is, does UN Intervention cancel the event? Or does it merely bypass it.

The reason I mention this is that "Cancelled" is always permanent in TS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card uses the word "canceled."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
The card uses the word "canceled."

That kind of settles it, doesn't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.