Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
149 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Lord of the Rings LCG Quest Companion Full Rules, FAQs & Questsheets Reference rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I fancy having resources right under my nose when playing LOTR LCG so I figured I'd create a little website of my own to compile information. It's an online resource so accessible from any device connected to the internet.

This website is not meant to replace by any means full-content website like cardgamedb. I designed it as a tool to use alongside gaming sessions. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Last updated for FAQ 1.8 and Temple of the Deceived, as of 21st of september 2016.

In this online rulebook, you'll find every rule for every rulebook / questsheet (see below) for our beloved game.

That, comprehending, Saga Expansions, FAQs and even GenCon Scenarios rules.

All in one comprehensive reference you can search using a browsing field or tags.

The research will take you to the rule articles you need, point at you the player card, quest sheet or encounter card you might want to check.

If you just wish to have a quick reference when playing a game, you might want to use the Round Sequence Summary. These Setting the game and Round sequence summary references may help beginners (and not beginners) to cope with the learning curve.

The Setting the game section guides you through setup. I find this is the most important add-on here, considering I often get lost on what to do when preparing the game, especially when playing Nightmare mode and Campaign mode which adds several Setup actions to perform in the right order.

The Round Sequence Summary contains most information new players will need to cope with the learning curve of the game, before moving to advanced notions.

Additionnaly, it's got for each published quest in the game :

-- a reminder of the Encounter Sets you'll need

-- all the quests and related Keywords, Rulings and Strategy Tips found on the Adventures Pcks Inserts and Expansion Rule Booklists.

-- the Encounter Cards erratas and Q&A related to each quest

-- Official FFG difficulty rating and possibility for players to give their own perception of the difficulty.

-- A quick card reference referencing (only) player cards erratas, Q&A and rulings, all official by FFG. You'll find a great ressource for card search at hallofbeorn.com

-- Browse the quest by cycle, official difficulty, player rating difficulty, Saga Expansions from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings:

-- You can also record your Campaign progression in the online Campaign Log:

Erratas and Q&A for Quests and Encounter Cars

Home page goodies

The home page displays the hardest and easiest quests according to players. So that's a good entry point for one who'd like to buy adventure packs with an easy quest for example.

The home page also features a quest at random. I'm often a bit overwhelmed by the amount of quests available, so having a random choice is nice. And if you really don't like what's proposed, just refresh the page and a new quest will be presented to you.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lord of the Rings LCG Quest Companion
Very useful, and dead sexy to look at. I'll be using this for my games. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing! I don't have a tablet, but I can honestly say this is the first thing I've ever seen that makes me wish I had one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sechen_rob wrote:
This is amazing! I don't have a tablet, but I can honestly say this is the first thing I've ever seen that makes me wish I had one.

Oh, just to be sure, it's an online resource. So any computer or smartphone will do. (Well maybe not all smartphones, don't have one myself so I did not test compatibility).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Very pretty and extremely useful. Pretty intense graphics. I'm unsure that will work with my old tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Piemonte
Germany
munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
very nice, yet another use case for my tablet ...shake
ok, seriously, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Is it possible to turn off the fade-in of the links? Or at least speed it up a little? (I personally prefer my apps to be as instantaneous as possible) I really like the track back of the cardsets...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
The link seems to be broken (for me anyway), anyone else having trouble (it doesn't seem like it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The site looks great (good design, really easy to navigate) but:
Spielguy wrote:
Pretty intense graphics. I'm unsure that will work with my old tablet.

is true.
The banner is a 4MB image 7xxx pixel wide. Thats too big for slow conections and old devices. Scaling it to 1600 px wide and reducing the quality to 75% should look nice enough and save a lot of bandwidth (very good for 3G or 4G users). I tried it and it's size is 90KB.
The background saved at 75% reduces the size from 1MB to 112KB.

You can download the result of the pictures I tried here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/27icjdnT/_online.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karagh wrote:
The site looks great (good design, really easy to navigate) but:
Spielguy wrote:
Pretty intense graphics. I'm unsure that will work with my old tablet.

is true.
The banner is a 4MB image 7xxx pixel wide. Thats too big for slow conections and old devices. Scaling it to 1600 px wide and reducing the quality to 75% should look nice enough and save a lot of bandwidth (very good for 3G or 4G users). I tried it and it's size is 90KB.
The background saved at 75% reduces the size from 1MB to 112KB.

You can download the result of the pictures I tried here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/27icjdnT/_online.html
Yikes, yes a 4MB banner image could be very nasty on a mobile data connection.

Easily fixed though, and the idea is great. I have all the rulebook PDFs on all my devices, but this website could be more convenient for looking up scenario-specific rules, especially from a smartphone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:

Don't the service providers downgrade graphics on the fly to make them faster to load on mobile devices?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aeladru U
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Test
Awesome work but as others have mentioned it would be great to reduce the payload of the images. I shall be making good use of this though during my sessions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not opening for me (DSL), what am I doing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
scwont wrote:

Don't the service providers downgrade graphics on the fly to make them faster to load on mobile devices?

Bye
Thanee
No idea, but I wouldn't assume it to be true for every service provider everywhere in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
scwont wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Not here in the U.S. I don't think. That is the responsibility of the content creator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, I'll be reducing the images size as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

Can you print-screen it and send it to me by private message? I don't understand what's going on either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banania wrote:
John85 wrote:

Can you print-screen it and send it to me by private message? I don't understand what's going on either.

Sure, it's just the typical "Connection was reset" message. I'll send it in a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dickey
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, I love the look of the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something that FFG should have done themselves... There are so many scenarios and rules allready that nice looking collected rulings and scenario PDF would have been most welcome a long time ago...

So this is nice to have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys would like to see included the rulings of the FAQ that concern special situations that can emerged from the Encounter Deck?

I'm thinking about including the errata (text-like) for encounter cards and the Q/A section from the FAQ dispatching them by quest of course.

EDIT: well, it's done. Still have to tweak the images size though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very nice, as the other mentioned. The only thing you need to do is to optimise it by first reducing image sizes, not only the staggering 4MB banner, but many pics (such as the AP box images and the background).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zebulon_ wrote:
It is very nice, as the other mentioned. The only thing you need to do is to optimise it by first reducing image sizes, not only the staggering 4MB banner, but many pics (such as the AP box images and the background).

You're right about that. I already reduced the banner. I'll make up to the other images probably this week-end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banania wrote:

You're right about that. I already reduced the banner. I'll make up to the other images probably this week-end.

Sounds great!
Another suggestion: the fact that people can vote for difficulty is a very good idea. However, it would be good to have two difficulty categories: one for solo and one for multiplayer. We know that the difficulty is quite variable depending on the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow!!!! What a resource!!!! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.