United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! I'm working on an RPG sci-fi adventure game which is going to feature miniatures as well as distinct alien characters. There will be a unique storyline to go with the game, and there will be missions that are optional in the game (as it will be a sandbox style), but not necessary to gain power. There will be many things going on in the game, including battle. Nevertheless, the missions will be a large part of the game, so I want to mention something regarding missions in the title.

I am brainstorming some ideas for names to call the game. I'd like your opinion in deciding the final name for the game. I am going to run a campaign for it on Kickstarter sometime in early 2014. Once I have decided on the name, I am going to create a listing for it here on BGG to get some hype going before it hits Kickstarter. I will keep anyone who subscribes to this threat updated on the progress, and I will continue to ask for feedback along the way. While I have my own unique visions for this game, your feedback and opinions are ultimately going to be the driving force behind the decisions I make.

Here are a few name ideas I have at this point. Keep in mind, some of these names don't necessarily have a meaning, they are just meant to hopefully catch your attention and signify that this is a cool space game. So far, #3 is my top choice but let me know that you think..

1) Astrolysium
2) Astralyceum
3) Astrolysium: The Missions of Alpha Centauri
4) Alpha Centauri: Disturbances from Beyond
5) Qyar
6) Atolis: Missions of Alpha Centauri
7) Centauri Armada: Interstellar Missions
8) Zorhkon
9) The Orion Clandestine
10) Xuno: Beyond Tau Ceti

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
msg tools
designer
1) Astrolysium decent and original
2) Astralyceum don't bother going with this over #1 imo
3) Astrolysium: The Missions of Alpha Centauri This is needlessly long and really generic
4) Alpha Centauri: Disturbances from Beyond "Alpha Centauri" in general is very overused
5) Qyar [b]nein. Too unpronounceable.

6) Atolis: Missions of Alpha Centauri See #3
7) Centauri Armada: Interstellar Missions "Interstellar missions" also sounds really phoned in
8) Zorhkon nein. Too... kinda dumb?
9) The Orion Clandestine

Nailing down a premise for your game's story or system can really help with naming a game. Many games have missions but I think it'll take something creative to make it sound good in a title, at least in my opinion. I'll spitball some things too:

Astral Orion
Star Operations: Tau Ceti
Astral Mission/s (this is surprisingly not taken by anything except for an indian rap song or something)
Missions of the Qyar Codex ("Kee-Ar?")
Exit Sol
Missions Beyond Orion?

I tend to think of names that are simple, but potentially memorable without making words up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two suggestions:

- names that people can't figure out how to spell are harder to Google. It can be an original word but don't make it too weird a spelling.

- just my opinion but subtitles after colons sound a little cheesy, as in something you see in a bad movie like "Friday the Thirteeth: Triskadecaphobia". Which is fine if campy is what you're after but not so good if it's supposed to be serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZephyrW wrote:
1) Astrolysium decent and original
2) Astralyceum don't bother going with this over #1 imo
3) Astrolysium: The Missions of Alpha Centauri This is needlessly long and really generic
4) Alpha Centauri: Disturbances from Beyond "Alpha Centauri" in general is very overused
5) Qyar [b]nein. Too unpronounceable.

6) Atolis: Missions of Alpha Centauri See #3
7) Centauri Armada: Interstellar Missions "Interstellar missions" also sounds really phoned in
8) Zorhkon nein. Too... kinda dumb?
9) The Orion Clandestine

Nailing down a premise for your game's story or system can really help with naming a game. Many games have missions but I think it'll take something creative to make it sound good in a title, at least in my opinion. I'll spitball some things too:

Astral Orion
Star Operations: Tau Ceti
Astral Mission/s (this is surprisingly not taken by anything except for an indian rap song or something)
Missions of the Qyar Codex ("Kee-Ar?")
Exit Sol
Missions Beyond Orion?

I tend to think of names that are simple, but potentially memorable without making words up

Those are fantastic suggestions.. thanks! I appreciate your analysis and you've got some great name ideas too. I really love "Star Operations: Tau Ceti" and "Missions of the Qyar Codex". One thing is for certain, I don't want this to be just another space game, I want something big, memorable and original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Just two suggestions:

- names that people can't figure out how to spell are harder to Google. It can be an original word but don't make it too weird a spelling.

- just my opinion but subtitles after colons sound a little cheesy, as in something you see in a bad movie like "Friday the Thirteeth: Triskadecaphobia". Which is fine if campy is what you're after but not so good if it's supposed to be serious.

Thanks for the suggestions, I kind of see what you're saying now about the colons. I definitely want to keep it serious, so I'll probably opt out of that. Appreciate the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think you already have a winner on your hands with astrolysium, I would definitely be a little interested in that game based on the title.

I'd like to second what was said about alpha centauri... It's been overused. It's other name is: Rigil Kent you might use that but people might not have a clue what that is.

However if you want a star name in there there are other cool ones like:

- Betelgeuse
- Antares
- Pollux
- Arcturus
- Deneb

Or use a Bayer designation after all...

- Alpha Leonis (has a cool ring to it imo)
- Mu Cephei

and many more
http://www.obliquity.com/skyeye/misc/name.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ZephyrW wrote:
1)I tend to think of names that are simple, but potentially memorable without making words up

I agree strongly with this. Though I can't think of any suggestions of my own, I would highly recommend something simple and memorable, which means don't make up unrecognizable words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Matthews
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree Centauri references are overdone; but I do like the star angle; Arcturus, as mentioned above, instantly came to mind for me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a more vague recommendation, I work for a consulting company that manages national 5Ks, and we have investors all the time coming to us with off the wall names. Names that to them, sound good because they have been immersed in the idea for some time. We have seen amazingly produced events fail because people didn't know/understand what they were buying so they just didn't buy it.

My suggestion would be that your title needs an anchor. A word or phrase that the common man can look at and relate to. Keeping the words "mission"/"objective"/"control" along with other ideas presented here would be my best recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Mission: Arypozition

Cool! Like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folilo82 wrote:
I think you already have a winner on your hands with astrolysium, I would definitely be a little interested in that game based on the title.

I'd like to second what was said about alpha centauri... It's been overused. It's other name is: Rigil Kent you might use that but people might not have a clue what that is.

However if you want a star name in there there are other cool ones like:

- Betelgeuse
- Antares
- Pollux
- Arcturus
- Deneb

Or use a Bayer designation after all...

- Alpha Leonis (has a cool ring to it imo)
- Mu Cephei

and many more
http://www.obliquity.com/skyeye/misc/name.html

Great suggestions! As much as I like the name Alpha Centauri, I realize that it probably is overused and I wouldn't want to be cliche. Thanks for that link, some really great sounding star names in there.. "Altair" stood out to me in particular, but there are so many others too.

How does this sound.. the main title as "Astrolysium" with an anchor name "Missions of Arcturus" or "Missions of Altair".

Here is a quick and very generic example of how the title might look, what are your first thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is an Astrolysium? Is it supposed to be a combination of astro- and Elysium? So, essentially "Star Heaven"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
What is an Astrolysium? Is it supposed to be a combination of astro- and Elysium? So, essentially "Star Heaven"?

Actually the name has no official meaning, but I am going to tie the name into the story somewhere. The game will come with an artbook with a short story which will be centered around the word Astrolysium, once players read the story they will understand what it means. That is my plan at this point. I like your deciphering of it though, "Star Heaven" might work if I can relate it with the story of the game. Speaking of the story, I will give a very brief and basic idea of the game without spilling too much info.

500 yrs into the future, 8 or so alien races have come together from neighboring star systems, and make up sort of a council who's mission is to promote stability and peaceful trade in the region. They will each vie for power, and will achieve this through helping others and doing good things, or by sabotaging others, stealing, etc. Their will be a definite RPG element in the game of good vs bad. The focus will be on a series of cataclysmic events that have recently started occurring on various planets in the region. Who or what is causing them? Who will stop them? I'll elaborate some more later on once I get close to finishing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I love the name Atrolysium

@logo: In smaller versions it's not well-readable. I would drop the glows, at least the top one, it makes it blurry. I'm not comfortable with main title in italics, but that's more subjective. I'm afraid the subtitle font is contributing to worse readability too, "s" is kinda confusing ... on large it's ok, on medium it's ok-ish. I'd drop the lens flare inside symbol.
I know 'm critical, that's what one gets for looking through logo galleries, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion Horizon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Astrolysium is ok, but not great.
I much more prefer the sound of Tau Ceti.
If i imagine my friend saying "Hey, let´s play Astrolysium!" that sounds a bit clunky to me.
"Let´s play TAU CETI!" has more snap.
So I´d favor something like:

Missions Beyond TAU CETI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxArt wrote:
I love the name Atrolysium

@logo: In smaller versions it's not well-readable. I would drop the glows, at least the top one, it makes it blurry. I'm not comfortable with main title in italics, but that's more subjective. I'm afraid the subtitle font is contributing to worse readability too, "s" is kinda confusing ... on large it's ok, on medium it's ok-ish. I'd drop the lens flare inside symbol.
I know 'm critical, that's what one gets for looking through logo galleries, sorry

Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate your critique.. that's what I need. I want to know what works and what doesn't. While this is a very generic idea it's not anywhere near final. So I will definitely take all these things into consideration when I work on the final title and logo. I'll probably use a different subtitle font as this one can be difficult to read sometimes, especially if it's smaller. I'll lose the glow on the word Astrolysium, as well as the lens flare on the logo. I would like to make the logo look somewhat metallic by giving it some reflective properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is to only have one "made up" word in the title and subtitle. Astrolysium: Missions of ________ makes me cringe if the blank is another word I don't understand.

Based off your storyline and the group's leaning towards Astrolysium I would go with, The Council of Astrolysium or The Astrolysium Council.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yshild wrote:
For me Astrolysium is ok, but not great.
I much more prefer the sound of Tau Ceti.
If i imagine my friend saying "Hey, let´s play Astrolysium!" that sounds a bit clunky to me.
"Let´s play TAU CETI!" has more snap.
So I´d favor something like:

Missions Beyond TAU CETI.

I see what you're saying, Astrolysium has 5 syllables and Tau Ceti has 3. It's challenging trying to find a word that is unique but sounds catchy and has a nice snap as well. I'll give it some considerations, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
If its an adventure game, give me a coined title that tells me either:

1) What is the invasion/macguffin causing the adventures (macguffin)
2) Who I'm playing the adventure as (role)
3) Where these adventures are taking place (setting)

So, if the game centers on Runners chasing across the Lost Worlds in order to scavenge the Relicons...

1) Relicon (macguffin)
2) Runners (game role)
3) Lost Worlds (game setting)

Then as you involve story/world-building you can add the ever-popular subtitle to it:

1) Relicon: The Golden Nodex
2) Runners: Stig Hunt
3) Lost Worlds: World's End
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D4RKSH33P wrote:
My opinion is to only have one "made up" word in the title and subtitle. Astrolysium: Missions of ________ makes me cringe if the blank is another word I don't understand.

Based off your storyline and the group's leaning towards Astrolysium I would go with, The Council of Astrolysium or The Astrolysium Council.

I was kind of thinking that too actually, because I'd like for the main title to stand out. Having another unknown word in the subtitle could take some of the emphasis away from the title. I like "The Astrolysium Council" - I actually have a council in the story which at this time I am referring to as "The Interstellar Commission of Alpha Centauri (ICAC)". Although I may change the Alpha Centauri to something else as it seems to be an overused word, maybe I'll change it to Tau Ceti (ICTC). If I wanted to use "missions" in the subtitle perhaps "Missions of Tau Ceti" or "Missions of Orion" might work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gsimpson wrote:
If its an adventure game, give me a coined title that tells me either:

1) What is the invasion/macguffin causing the adventures (macguffin)
2) Who I'm playing the adventure as (role)
3) Where these adventures are taking place (setting)

So, if the game centers on Runners chasing across the Lost Worlds in order to scavenge the Relicons...

1) Relicon (macguffin)
2) Runners (game role)
3) Lost Worlds (game setting)

Then as you involve story/world-building you can add the ever-popular subtitle to it:

1) Relicon: The Golden Nodex
2) Runners: Stig Hunt
3) Lost Worlds: World's End

That really helps, thanks! In this game, the (Runners) will represent ALL the characters in the beginning, but some may turn bad throughout the game depending on their strategy (Relicons), and the setting (Lost Worlds) will be Alpha Centauri, Tau Ceti or something like that.

The term Astrolysium will either be a "place", "thing" or a "level of power" that everyone is competing for, that will represent a large part of the whole story. So essentially, Astrolysium could be used to describe all the star systems in the group, or the cause of the adventure/invasion perhaps?

Astrolysium (setting) - Missions (role) of _______ (characters)

Maybe something like "Astrolysium (group of alien races) - Missions (the adventure) of Orion (setting)" or "Astrolysium (level of power) - Missions (the adventure) of Tau Ceti (setting)

This has me thinking, thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason your description made me think of the United Nations. There could be some terms that work in a Sci-Fi setting.

United Systems
Security Council
Galactic Security Council
Permanent Member
Peacekeeping Force
IFOR (NATO)
I-4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incase anyone is interested, I've added another thread regarding some concepts about this game.. feedback is much appreciated..

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1070374/need-feedback-on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to go with "Astrolysium - Missions of Tau Ceti". Here is the link to my first official post regarding the game in case anyone would like to track its development.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1088434/wip-astrolysium-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.