Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Mann
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously it's really too early to ask and I'm not entirely to sure on the legality of Vassal but do you guys think this game could be made into a vassal module? I ask because obviously I want the game and will buy it when it's available but as I move around a lot I don't get to see my group regularly. Vassal would allow me to play/run the game without having to worry about where everyone is. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I know I can't imagine why not.
That said i don't know the limitations of vassal.
Theres a lot of info to keep track of.
The settlement.
Each character as far as gear, stats, etc
Combined inventory
Keeping tracking of the progression of a u
And then the actual combat of the hunt phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very possible, maybe even likely. I imagine though that it would make Adam very unhappy. He's rather gung-ho about protecting his intellectual property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the genie is out of the bottle it will be very difficult to control the future... That being said it will take a huge effort to scan or remaster all the printed cards, tokens and other components.

I have been surprised by the number of non-public games created for vassal

This means someone out there will likely create a module or two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, it's possible, sure, it's pieces on a board. There are a number of things to consider though:

1) This is a campaign style game. Maintaining the status of your settlement along with the gear of your survivors and their personal progression, it's going to be a lot to keep track of and save from play session to play session.
2) Perhaps more limiting is the fact that the game contains some 90+ story events, which are in the rulebook, and notably verbose. You can't include a full rulebook's worth of story events and maintain the event's flavor, let alone the rules of it. At least not without stepping on Adam's legal rights.

I don't think you can sue anyone for fake pieces on a fake board since the game REQUIRES the rulebook during play. You have to own this game to play it. I think that's the only thing that would stop Adam from taking legal action against a KD:M module, the fact that the story rules require you to have the rulebook and thus own the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grigori Borta
Moldova
Chisinau
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Grounds is probably a better choice for KD:M, IMHO.
But I'm pretty sure that Vassal will have fan-made modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
Very possible, maybe even likely. I imagine though that it would make Adam very unhappy. He's rather gung-ho about protecting his intellectual property.

To the point of keeping the playtesting to controlled groups when I expressed interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xenwall wrote:
I don't think you can sue anyone for fake pieces on a fake board since the game REQUIRES the rulebook during play. You have to own this game to play it. I think that's the only thing that would stop Adam from taking legal action against a KD:M module, the fact that the story rules require you to have the rulebook and thus own the game.

If someone scans all the boards, cards, etc. etc. Then they can have the text of the encounter pop up when you roll a specific number on the encounter dice. Heck they could go ahead and have a scan of the rulebook pop up to the appropriate page.

Where I'm hoping Poots will give us some lee-way is the idea of creating a module that doesn't have this or the text of some specific cards. This is how a lot of Fantasy Flight Games modules have an unofficially official status, the released versions have the text of some important cards blanked. So you have to keep those specific cards in front of you in real life to properly play the game.

In theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
LL6869 wrote:

To the point of keeping the playtesting to controlled groups when I expressed interest.

I'm more than miffed that after giving the man a half a grand I don't get a preview copy of the rulebook, this is true.

He's really into this denial of digital assets, which makes distribution of pirated copies much more likely when the game comes out. I'll certainly scan my own copy of the rules for my personal use. I'm not having a rogue cup of cola destroy my sole copy of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.