Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the Romulan ships, I like the heavyiness of the Warbird and the Valdore, the squishy science vessel and bird of prey not so much. I see a need for a mid level Romulan ship, somewhere in the 20 to 26 point range that would allow for a good three ship build with some options. I know I could borrow a Klingon ship or Fed, but I kind of like my ships to match faction, it justs looks better.

I am hoping the Gal Gath'thong will do this, I have no hope for the Vo, being a scout vessel it is just not going to be any better then what the Romulans have now in the lighter vessels.

Rant over for now..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
I like the Romulan ships, I like the heavyiness of the Warbird and the Valdore, the squishy science vessel and bird of prey not so much. I see a need for a mid level Romulan ship, somewhere in the 20 to 26 point range that would allow for a good three ship build with some options. I know I could borrow a Klingon ship or Fed, but I kind of like my ships to match faction, it justs looks better.

I am hoping the Gal Gath'thong will do this, I have no hope for the Vo, being a scout vessel it is just not going to be any better then what the Romulans have now in the lighter vessels.

Rant over for now..

The new Bird-of-Prey is basically a midsized Romulan ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as we know the Gal Gath'thong is a V8 class Bird of Prey. The Praetus was about 100 years before the Gal Gath'thong. (Praetus was NX Enterprise time and the Gal Gath'thong TOS Enterprise time.) So maybe the Gal Gath'thong will be in the 16-18 point range like the Gr'oth/D7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Rant over for now..

The disparity between the Praetus and the K'haraza is to immense for it to be a mid-size ship. Granted the disparity in their ages is immense, somewhat like two hundred years maybe? But that doesn't balance the game right.

YEah, the Gal Gath'thong will be a nice add to the Romulan fleet, it is just too far away for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget; Romulans were using Klingon D-7's too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
jmdt784 wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Rant over for now..

The disparity between the Praetus and the K'haraza is to immense for it to be a mid-size ship. Granted the disparity in their ages is immense, somewhat like two hundred years maybe? But that doesn't balance the game right.

YEah, the Gal Gath'thong will be a nice add to the Romulan fleet, it is just too far away for my taste.

Wrong BoP. The Klingon ship is essentially a baby Valdore with a tech slot. The Praetus is just a glorified mine layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
bird of prey not so much.

I've seen lots of posts lately hating on the BoP and I'm not sure why. I kind of don't get what is scaring people off. I guess the lack of shields and a little bit worse turning radius is what's doing it?

For me, with the extra attack die, extra hull, and better upgrades I think it is a much better fit for aggressive Romulan fleets.

Apnex has only ever been a "nice if it works out" one-trick-pony the times I've run it, whereas with the Praetus I feel like I have many more options.

I have it dropping mines early then going to manage the planet for a couple turns (OP3). Then cloak and watch for a place to wade into battle. Interphase Generator in the extra tech slot alleviates fears of an initial one-shot. It becomes a decent gun boat that can come in from the side once everybody's de-cloaked, catch the enemy off guard, target lock, and blast 'em! Something like this:

I.R.W. Praetus (Romulan 14)
Romulan Captain (Romulan 0) (Maybe Valdore if you've got the points)
Cloaked Mines (Romulan 3)
Interphase Generator (Romulan 3)
Photon Torpedoes (Romulan 5)

Replace Torpedoes with Additional Weapons Array once it's available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:

Romulan Captain (Romulan 0) (Maybe Valdore if you've got the points)

Hmm, nice idea, still a 25% chance of taking a hit when cloaking, and if you do the IG just isn't going to work out ing the long run. I can see the above working though and for 25 points would fit inside a double warbird or valdore build easily. Once againt though you are limiting your options with a squishy ship, whereas a different 20 - 22 point ship would have better shields, guns or hull right off the bat.

I will give your idea a try, the above idea would work better with Valdore to get in the little extra punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Praetus is better, and in more casual games it might be fun. The roll for damage on cloak is scary though, but maybe that's just because of how badly that hurt me when trying to play the science vessel mission. I like that setup a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional Weapons Array?! What is that and when/with what is it coming out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terrakhan wrote:
Additional Weapons Array?! What is that and when/with what is it coming out?

Star Trek: Attack Wing – P.W.B. Aj'rmr Expansion Pack

No target lock = Money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:

Yup.....played with strategies we see a lot for Backstabber in X-Wing.....with less ships it's going to cause more tough decisions when you have the main fleet coming at you 1 way and the Praetus coming from another rolling 4/5 dice (if captained by Valdore, or another effect) at your ships.

I think the main reason we're not hearing more about the Praetus right now is that formation flying with big tanks is an easier playstyle to run and try out of the gate.........when month 3 cards get in hand I think people will just start to try more diverse builds (being more comfortable with the game, for players who are just getting into it) and we will start hearing about how effective it can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Segard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Praetus is better than the Apnex for sure, but it's still very squishy and definitely not a mid-level ship. I rather like it for a cheap flanker/mine layer.

Additional Weapons Array is awesome on it. Doubles the attack dice and doesn't require a target lock. Unfortunately not everyone has access to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe something like this for a pure faction build:

I.R.W. Valdore (Romulan 30)
Toreth (Romulan 4)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (Romulan 4)

Valdore (Romulan 3)
Additional Weapons Array(Romulan 4)

I.R.W. Khazara (Romulan 30)
Donatra (Romulan 4)
Nullifier Core (Romulan 3)

Total Point Cost: 99

In an OP instance this build would give you initiative at least. Give you an extra punch with your mine layer and considerable punch with your battleships. I am not one to use more than one minefield, if placed correctly you can make your enemy run into them or you chase them into it.

If I wanted to remove the mines I could put on a Romulan pilot so that I could make the Praetus that much more escape happy or to get Valdore in to the off arc he needs for his ability and then would have two points to play with, maybe N'Vek (though I find him hard to use in a "cloaked fleet" most of the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love my Romulans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Segard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My new list that I'm pretty happy with is:

Toreth (Romulan 4)
Tactical Officer (Romulan 3)
Romulan Pilot (Romulan 2)

Valdore (Romulan 3)

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (Romulan 30)
Letant(Romulan 4)

Total Point Cost: 100

Each ship has its job. The Valdore is the heavy hitter. 4 Base dice, +1 after a green maneuver, Romulan Pilot to score that green maneuver exactly when I need it, two rerolls after target lock, and convert 1 hit to crit.

The Aj'Rmr is the tank. Only 3 attack dice, but forced crit rerolling, and the once per game Interphase, plus damage rerolls as the hull starts taking damage.

The Praetus takes to the flank, to try and get some good shots in before dropping the mines in the middle of the dogfight between the other ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who worry about the prateus taking a damage when it cloaks I would suggest captaining it with Mirok.

Cloak in first turn with small 1 manoeuvers on your ships.

If you have taken a damage take another round of small 1 manoeuvers that keeps the prateus within range 1 of another ship and repair the damage using Mirok's skill.

Once cloaked without damage you can send it off on a separate flank if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
For those who worry about the prateus taking a damage when it cloaks I would suggest captaining it with Mirok.

Cloak in first turn with small 1 manoeuvers on your ships.

If you have taken a damage take another round of small 1 manoeuvers that keeps the prateus within range 1 of another ship and repair the damage using Mirok's skill.

Once cloaked without damage you can send it off on a separate flank if you want.

With the reinforcement sideboard you can switch him out with Valdore later to get the +1 for flanking...I like it, very Romulan!

Mirok (Romulan 2)

Toreth (Romulan 4)
Tactical Officer (Romulan 3)

Donatra (Romulan 4)

Total Point Cost: 90

Reinforcement sideboard (10 Points for 20 Reinforcement Cards)
Captain "Valdore" 4 points
Elite Talent "All forward disruptor banks" 4 points
Crew ???
Weapon "Additional Weapons Array" 4 points
Tech "Cloaked Mines" 3 Points

Hmmm, not sure what to do about the crew slot, Romulans don't have the greatest crew so far. I was hoping to get faction pure as well, Roms need a Drex or something like him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Stewart
msg tools
Davitch wrote:
Maybe something like this for a pure faction build:

Toreth (Romulan 4)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (Romulan 4)

Valdore (Romulan 3)

Donatra (Romulan 4)
Nullifier Core (Romulan 3)

In an OP instance this build would give you initiative at least. Give you an extra punch with your mine layer and considerable punch with your battleships. I am not one to use more than one minefield, if placed correctly you can make your enemy run into them or you chase them into it.

If I wanted to remove the mines I could put on a Romulan pilot so that I could make the Praetus that much more escape happy or to get Valdore in to the off arc he needs for his ability and then would have two points to play with, maybe N'Vek (though I find him hard to use in a "cloaked fleet" most of the time).

I am similar, however, I chose this instead:

Donatru (Romulan 4)
Plasma Torpedoes (Romulan 5)

R.I.S. Apnex (Romulan 14)
Romulan Captain (Romulan 0)

Valdore (Romulan 3)

Command Tokens 5

Total = 99

The tactic I want to use is drop the mines in front of moving ships. I want the enemy to attack my Apnex to avoid the pulse damage, therefor uncloaking. Then I lock with my cloaked ships and move in to Plasma/Photon and hopefully take out one or two ships if the mines did their job. I get Command Tokens for the free actions to pop on for defense or whatever it looks like I will need. If they don't attack the Apnex, I move it in and pulse then harry their rears. If I can stay in range 1, they cannot photon me and one dice each turn can keep them on their collective toes making them want to take it out. It would probably work with the Praetus as well, but no shields puts me off. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would reconsider the D'Deridex / Valdore combo. Their movement options are quite different, and you may need to split them up when things get really tense. The D'Deridex can go in reverse, but the Valdore has to go forward 3 & turn around. This would put 2 ships starting out side by side with the same facing a movement distance of 5 apart & facing opposite directions. Using 2 of either type would probably be better than 1 of each.

Correction: They would actually be 6 apart given that 1 would go from the front of the base & the other would go from the back of the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the pure Romulan build that I've used for my two OP3s. It has 4 wins & 1 loss so far (my loss was to a Barrage of Fire Klingon build and it came down to 2 points at the end).

Toreth (Romulan 4)

Romulan D'deridex (Romulan 28)
Donatra (Romulan 4)

Command Tokens (5): Battlestations, Scan, Target Lock, +1 Attack Die, Re-roll Attack Dice

I start the two big ships together on one side of planet and the Praetus gunboat on the other side. First turn is planet focused: 4 troops and 1 SAM. Drop both Cloaked Mines at the beginning of turn 2 on opposite sides of the planet.

From there, Praetus stays focused on planet management as needed and cloaks as soon as planet is settled. Then looks for a chance to come in on the side of a ship with target lock and torpedoes. Tends to be a little brazen with that IG.

The other ships slow play turn 3 to see how the opponent reacts to the mines. Four out of five times they freaked and turned their tail to me in some way, allowing me to give chase. Valdore is generally shooting 6+ dice at least once with Battle Stations. DD is of course doing her part as well. Usually able to keep them in synch and only once did they break ranks and fly solo.

Other Command Tokens are huge benefit as long as I remember to use them and not be stingy. Took one Scan just in case I faced another mine layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Here's the pure Romulan build that I've used for my two OP3s. It has 4 wins & 1 loss so far (my loss was to a Barrage of Fire Klingon build and it came down to 2 points at the end).

Toreth (Romulan 4)

Donatra (Romulan 4)

Command Tokens (5): Battlestations, Scan, Target Lock, +1 Attack Die, Re-roll Attack Dice

If you are going to use the D'Deridex / Valdore combo, then I would at least recommend swapping out the 2 captains, putting Toreth on the ship that has a tech slot & Donatra hanging back & harder to reach on the ship with no tech slot. Also, swap the Cloaked Mines on the D'Deridex with the Interphase Generator on the Praetus. The D'Deridex is the target more likely to get the ridgeheads to use their Barrage of Fire card, and the Praetus is your minelayer primarily which means that once you drop your mines, it is a much less tempting target. Another option would be to cut 1 point somewhere and use the 1 remaining point to put Mirok on the Praetus to handle the risk of doing that point of damage that you might take by cloaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

Toreth (Romulan 4)

Donatra (Romulan 4)

If you are going to use the D'Deridex / Valdore combo, then I would at least recommend swapping out the 2 captains, putting Toreth on the ship that has a tech slot & Donatra hanging back & harder to reach on the ship with no tech slot. Also, swap the Cloaked Mines on the D'Deridex with the Interphase Generator on the Praetus. The D'Deridex is the target more likely to get the ridgeheads to use their Barrage of Fire card, and the Praetus is your minelayer primarily which means that once you drop your mines, it is a much less tempting target. Another option would be to cut 1 point somewhere and use the 1 remaining point to put Mirok on the Praetus to handle the risk of doing that point of damage that you might take by cloaking.

Hmm, interesting ideas. I want the Valdore to be my big hitter so having Donatra buff him and having the extra crit is exactly what I wanted. I actually originally was going to play Gen Kahn on the Valdore to assure simultaneous alpha strikes, but my son used him so I had to slum it with Toreth.

I like the Praetus having the IG, otherwise it pops too easy. With it on there it's a fearless little flyer that keeps the opponent distracted. It is not just a minelayer, but a planet manager and sniper.

As far as worrying about taking a Bof....not gonna happen. Those Klingons are pretty easy to predict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I just figured out how to deal with major problems from 2 factions, Barrage of Fire that could amount to 12 attack dice in a single attack + Drex from the ridgeheads & Attack Pattern Omega from the Feds. I need to go cross-faction, but for just 1 card. I have my force ready for OP3. I will post specifics after the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to have some good news, but my mines were basically worthless & my dice were crap all night long. In 1 round, my opponent ended up facing the planet so close that he had to go through it which put him in a minefield, and he then took 2 completely worthless mine attacks (no damage at all). The rest of the ships in all 3 rounds just avoided the mines entirely. Even having them turning around to give me free shots didn't do much for me because my dice (both red & green) were turning up blanks well outside the statistical norm. I also messed up & took some crits that I shouldn't have taken with the Polarized Hull Plating.
Anyway... here is the force I took:

D'Deridex 28
Polarized Hull Plating 2
Toreth 4
Counter Attack 3
Bochra 1
D'Deridex 28
Polarized Hull Plating 2
Donatra 4
Miles O'Brien 3

Praetus 14
Cloaked Mines 3
Cloaked Mines 3
Elite Attack Die 5
TOTAL 100

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.