Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing I thought of, when I came across the description of this game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
GROWL Kickstarter LIVE - TinyUrl.com/GROWLKS
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
First thing I thought of, when I came across the description of this game..

Very sharp! Interstellar Pig is a great book, a huge inspiration. We actually knew William Sleator in the years before he sadly passed away in 2011, and he was a continual source of imagination and support for us.

I'm really interested in the "macguffin" plot device. It's also used to great effect in Harlan Ellison's story "Grail" and the Robert A. Heinlein story "We Also Walk Dogs" - I definitely recommend those to anyone who enjoyed IP.

-joey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macguffin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back on it, my love of that book was probably an early warning sign of my future board game addiction.

Anyway, I always thought Interstellar Pig would be a fun game to play so thanks for giving me the chance to vicariously live out my childhood dreams through your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know you actually coordinated with Mr. Sleator!

My love of the book (and its sequel, Parasite Pig) drove me to back your kickstarter.

Cosmic Encounter and Race for the Galaxy scratched the Interstellar Pig "itch", but Chaosmos is going to be the definitive Interstellar Pig experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jakusotsu wrote:
I did not know you actually coordinated with Mr. Sleator!

My love of the book (and its sequel, Parasite Pig) drove me to back your kickstarter.

Cosmic Encounter and Race for the Galaxy scratched the Interstellar Pig "itch", but Chaosmos is going to be the definitive Interstellar Pig experience!

Wow this is so amazing! I keep meeting people who have read Interstellar Pig! I think it is one of those books that just sticks with you.

Article on Race for the Galaxy and Interstellar Pig:
http://gameshelf.jmac.org/2008/08/race-for-the-piggy/

Article on Cosmic Encounter and Interstellar Pig:
http://www.ludism.org/scwiki/CosmicPig

My detailed article on the origins of Chaosmos if you haven't already read it:
http://chaos-cast.blogspot.com/2013/12/studies-into-dark-for...

thanks for the positive vibes!

-joey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! I also thought of Interstellar Pig when I watched your Kickstarter video just now!!

As a kid in the late 80s, I promised some teachers I'd make a real game version of Interstellar Pig for a project we had to do, but the only games we'd heard of in those days were Cluedo, Monopoly and D&D so the game mechanics required were way outside anything I ever knew so I had to give up in the end.

goo

I particularly like the sense of the all-important object being actually useless *during* the game, taking up space in which you could be carrying a useful item, just as in Dominion how the Title/VP Cards you possess are the basis for winning the game, but during the game they're useless and stop you from being able to do as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! It's simple to learn how to play, but the complexity comes from the strategic use of the cards (and the strategic decisions NOT to use them sometimes), and of course from the psychological aspect. By giving the major weapons and effects corresponding counter cards, there is a continuous fluidity about the board-- players dump off weapons they think are no longer effective in exchange for things on the planet they are discarding into. Then other players can swing by and get those discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simon
United States
flag msg tools
designer
I too love Interstellar Pig as well! I was also inspired to create my own board game from it, it is called Extraterrestrial Grail.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/extraterrestrial-grail

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144732/extraterrestrial-g...

I first made a video game version of Extraterrestrial Grail which can be downloaded for free here:

https://sites.google.com/site/extraterrestrialgrail/

I'm glad to meet other Interstellar Pig fans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan I Finally took the time to look into your game more. I love the dice and the planets in a ring, much more faithful to Pig. I will try to remember to give you a shout out if I do any more interviews that mention Pig. There's at least 10 people that have said they made games or variants inspired by Pig. Great job and good luck with everything!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simon
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you very much for the compliments! I appreciate it!

Your game looks very compelling as well!

Sure, if you want to name/link drop Extraterrestrial Grail if any future interviews then that would be awesome.

Good luck!

cannibalkid wrote:
Dan I Finally took the time to look into your game more. I love the dice and the planets in a ring, much more faithful to Pig. I will try to remember to give you a shout out if I do any more interviews that mention Pig. There's at least 10 people that have said they made games or variants inspired by Pig. Great job and good luck with everything!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just listened to the episode of Little Metal Dog show and as you were describing the game, I started thinking "Interstellar Pig" about 30 seconds later you mentioned it as an inspiration.

Love love love that book.

Now I really wish I hadn't pledged to my wife (and baby and self) not to back any projects or buy any games for 6 months. Guess this will have to go on the list to buy when it comes ou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
back us for a buck and stay in touch with the community!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you reference the Interstellar Pig inspiration in the main description of the Kickstarter. When looking at your game, I kept thinking it sounded like IP, a book I read and loved in middle school. Acknowledging the influence probably would have convinced me to back on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I wrote a huge long blog post about it and listed the link on the page.

http://chaos-cast.blogspot.com/2013/12/studies-into-dark-for...

joey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.