Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by user Oyrren, though I don't have as much of a story as Yaren's Session Report, this weekend I set out to record a 3-scenario session of the Perils of the Lost Coast using 2 standard characters and 2 custom characters made by others. Specifically, the Treasure Hunter and the Half-Orc Shaman. Feel free to check out those guys as they were very fun to use. I call this the SETH party and will keep them running through Burnt Offerings and beyond, though I probably won't continue the detailed turn report (link below) as that added quite a bit of extra time.

Each character begins with the suggested deck (custom characters also) and I have a detailed turn-by-turn log posted here: http://asherzone.com/ftp/boardgames/SETH%20Game%20Log.pdf (9 pages, 317KB) - it didn't seem appropriate to upload to the "files" section here as it really is just a session report. I'm sure there are a few clerical errors in the transcript such as COM values of some monsters - I went mostly from memory. A summary of some of the highlights will follow...

Hopefully all the shorthand I used in the detailed report makes sense...but here are some definitions:
rch = Recharge
dsc = Discard
bsh = Banish
drw = Draw (usually from character Deck)
BotG = Blessing of the Gods

Brigandoom!
Sajan: Start at Waterfront. Initial Hand: Potion of Glibness, BotG (3)
Ezren: Start at Academy. Initial Hand: Bracers of Protection, Sage, Invisibility, Detect Magic, Lightning Touch, Levitate
Treasure Hunter: Start at Farmhouse. Initial Hand: Blast Stone, Bracers of Protection, Dagger, BotG (3)
Half-Orc Shaman: Start at Academy. Initial Hand: Strength, Codex, Mace, BotG (2)

After a rough start failing many checks (the Treasure Hunter damaged basically his entire starting hand), the team started to synergize and was quickly able to recover and start knocking out Bandits. The Treasure Hunter used his Thorough Search power to help explore for the others, revealing some useful information (particularly the Hillgiant) to allow the team to regroup for the coming fight. After his first mishap with the Bugbear (he drank too much at the send-off party the night before) Sajan rather quickly thinned his deck and was the main brute of the team, knocking out baddies left and right with his leg sweeps and knife hands, recharging and drawing blessings as if they were candy. Ezren didn’t contribute much other than busting through the Academy finding tons of spells (though missing an opportunity to pick up Charm Person doh!) and pretty much single-handedly closed the Academy even after a few fails. This brings us to the main hero of the day, for beating Jubrayl Vhiski: the Half-Orc Shaman. Acquiring the Holy Light gives him an outstanding weapon, and his constant healing lets him cycle cards and help out everyone else through discarding the junk items and such. Never low on life and usually plenty of options at his disposal.

Rewards
Sajan: Potion of Ghostly Form
Ezren: Masterworks Tools (woot!)
Treasure Hunter: Potion of Energy Resistance
Half-Orc Shaman: Potion of Healing

Ending Decks
Sajan: Amulet of Mighty Fists, Potion of Ghostly Form, Potion of Glibness, Potion of Hiding, Guide, Sage, Troubadour, BotG (8)
Ezren: Quarterstaff, Acid Arrow, Arcane Armor, Detect Magic, Force Missile, Invisibility, Levitate, Lightning Touch (2), Bracers of Protection, Codex, Masterwork Tools, Father Zantus, Sage, Standard Bearer
Treasure Hunter: Dagger, Sling, Leather Armor, Wooden Shield, Bracers of Protection, Caltrops, Holy Water, Potion of Energy Resistance, Potion of Healing, Thieves Tools, Crow, BotG (4)
Half-Orc Shaman: Mace (2), Cure (2), Holy Light, Inflict, Strength, Codex, Luckstone, Thieves Tools, Blessing of the Gods (5)

The Poison Pill
Half-Orc Shaman: Start at Sandpoint Cathedral. Initial Hand: : Holy Light, Luckstone, Thieves Tools, Mace, BotG (2)
Sajan: Start at General Store. Initial Hand: Amulet of Mighty Fists, Sage, BotG (2)
Ezren: Start at Town Square. Initial Hand: Quarterstaff, Bracers of Protection, Standard Bearer, Detect Magic, Lightning Touch (2)
Treasure Hunter: Start at Village House. Initial Hand: Dagger, Wooden Shield, Crow, BotG (3)

The Shaman, once again, was the big hitter, knocking out Podiker AND helping the others temporarily close their locations, and throwing stuff throughout the journey to help in various checks. Even limiting his discard power to once per round (in order for him to keep up with his trickle healing) still lets him be quite versatile. Now, with acquiring Aid & a Desna he will continue to be the party’s “go to guy” for beating any checks. After slugging it out in Brigandoom! Sajan was practicing his archery skills and proving his worth in that arena. Dropping his Amulet early, he picked up not 1 but 2 Light Crossbows, and the Deathbane, Shaleu, AND an Archer. Though he won’t keep the crossbows (or probably the Archer), he just wanted to show-off for the team. Ezren overheard him talking to one of his evil victims, “yes, I know how to use weapons – I just prefer to use my hands and feet.” Ezren performed adequately, helping to run out the Shadows and other magical foes. Plenty of new acquisitions will keep him busy back at the tavern. Finally, the Treasure Hunter was very active moving around, quickly scavenging through his locations, and picking up some nice boons – all in a good day’s work.

Rewards
Sajan: Deathbane Light Crossbow (woot!)
Ezren: Short Sword
Treasure Hunter: Scimitar
Half-Orc Shaman: Greataxe

Ending Decks
Half-Orc Shaman: Greataxe, Mace, Aid, Cure, Holy Light, Inflict, Strength, Blast Stone, Codex, Spyglass, Blessing of Desna, BotG (4)
Sajan: Amulet of Mighty Fists, Potion of Energy Resistance, Potion of Ghostly Form, Potion of Hiding, Guide, Sage, Troubadour, Blessing of Iomedae, Blessing of Erastil, BotG (6)
Ezren: Quarterstaff, Acid Arrow, Augury, Detect Magic, Force Missile, Invisibility, Lightning Touch (2), Mirror Image, Bracers of Protection, Codex, Masterwork Tools, Father Zantus, Sage, Standard Bearer
Treasure Hunter: Deathbane Lt. Crossbow, Sling, Leather Armor, Wooden Shield, Bracers of Protection, Caltrops, Holy Water, Luckstone, P. of Healing, Thieves Tools, Shalelu Andosana, Blessing of Calistria, BotG (3)

Black Fang's Dungeon
Half-Orc Shaman: Start at Shrine to Lamashtu. Initial Hand: Greataxe, Cure, Blast Stone, Spyglassow, BotG
Sajan: Start at Desecrated Vault. Initial Hand: Amulet of Mighty Fists, Guide, Iomedae, BotG
Ezren: Start at Temple. Initial Hand: Quarterstaff, Standard Bearer, Father Zantus, Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Invisibility
Treasure Hunter: Start at Throne Room. Initial Hand: Deathbane, Leather Armor, Thieves Tools, Calistria, BotG (2)

Extra location spying and information gain yielded more active movement than previous scenarios. The Shaman proved his worth early on, constantly healing the Spyglass to help uncover/shift cards in various locations. His Minor Healing power proved well in keeping Spyglass in the discard pile (not using his Voodoo power to grant 1d4) and in his hand, at least in the early game. Once his discard pile got thick, it simply kept him alive – a very cool power and very well used. Sajan reverted to his “bare bones” combat in this scenario and was rarely unprepared. At the final hour, he nearly used his last breath exploring but his devotion to the cause yielded many rewards from the gods, which he was able to use in the final battle. Ezren stepped it up a notch this scenario and not only closed the Apothecary (gaining one or two useful spells), but also appeased the gods and was able to grant their blessings to the team on more than one occasion. The Treasure Hunter found himself scavenging and once or twice helping the others with searching, but mostly just grunting it out and beating whatever came in front of him. All the heroes need some time to assess their new skills and acquisitions – but don’t despair! They will surface again to face any dangers that may befall upon Sandpoint!

Rewards
Half-Orc Shaman: Find Traps, WIS+1
Sajan: BotG (yay), CHA+1
Ezren: Augury (woot!), INT+1
Treasure Hunter: Holy Water (meh), CON+1

Ending Decks
Half-Orc Shaman: Greataxe, Mace, Aid, Find Traps, Holy Light (2), Strength, Codex, Potion of Glibness, Spyglass, Blessing of Desna, Gorum, Irori, Pharasma, Sarenrae
Sajan: Amulet of Mighty Fists, Blast Stone, Boots of Elvenkind, Potion of Energy Resistance, Guide, Sage, Troubadour, Blessing of Calistria, Erastil, Iomedae (2), Sarenrae, BotG (3)
Ezren: Quarterstaff, Acid Arrow, Augury (2), Force Missile, Lightning Touch (2), Mirror Image (2), Bracers of Protection, Codex, Masterwork Tools, Father Zantus, Sage, Standard Bearer
Treasure Hunter: Deathbane Lt. Crossbow, Sling, Elven Chain Skirt, Magic Leather Armor, Caltrops, Holy Water, Luckstone, Mattock, P. of Healing, Thieves Tools, Shalelu Andosana, BotG (4)

Thanks for reading and happy gaming,
--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice
I am sooo looking forward to this game ... my copy is currently in transit; 9 days since dispatch (with a 7 - 10 day delivery estimate) ~ so I'm twitching at every noise hoping it's a courier! heh ... it's so draining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chilson
msg tools
Great read! Inspired me to do one soon; using a few custom characters including the Shaman I made. I'll finally sit down and edit a proper looking sheet with all his powers I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Shaman...he's cool

Now I need to print our your cards, etc. for him and make a standee lol

Or I can harvest one-fist or somebody from Runebound!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.