Neuroshima: Convoy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is this combo legal ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ter Molda
France
flag msg tools
Hi dear players,
I've heard about a combo for Convoy and i would know if it works as well as it seems, and above all if it's intended or a bug...

Scout [x2] - each time Scout enters an undestroyed city, you may move
another Soldier already located in this city to one adjacent city forward
or back. The selected soldier can be moved to a destroyed city,
but never out of the card area.

Kid – each time Kid enters an undestroyed city, you may use the ability
of another Soldier located in the same city, but only if it’s an ability
activated on entering a city.

If I manage to put one scout in two adjacent Moloch-free cities, can I use Kid's ability on Scout then on Kid to move between this two cities to gain infinite strenght ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgard Massot
Spain
Borrassà
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems. Even if you do it like Kit has the exact power of the scout so you have to move another soldier you could go infinite moving the scout that moves the scout that moves kit that moves the scout...

So the 3 of them would get infinite strength but then again you should have the 3 cards, and have at least one future city without opposition and then enters a Hunter or the Clown and the party is over.

Let's see what does Ignacy thinks about it. Great game by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Molda
France
flag msg tools
Indeed. The second question is to know how Kid's ability works and if this combo allow one or three infinite strenght.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Molda
France
flag msg tools
Nobody to answer to my question ?cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you only get a +1 token once. Once the unit has the token, he does not get an extra one...even if you move him back and forth.

So the infinite moving combo does not make much sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Cunningham
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
No, you only get a +1 token once. Once the unit has the token, he does not get an extra one...even if you move him back and forth.

So the infinite moving combo does not make much sense

UNDEFENDED FUTURE CITIES
Each time a Robot card is played from the Moloch player’s hand or moved (due to unit’s ability, playing an Instant card or moving to New York as a result of the battle’s effect) to any future city where the Outpost is not located (there are no Soldiers or Buildings at the city), it receives a +1 bonus to its strength, as the player has strengthened his position in the city before his opponent did so. To reflect this, add a +1 strength marker(in the proper colour) to the Robot’s card. It’s recommended to put this marker above the place where the basic unit’s strength is shown. If a Robot that has already acquired a strength bonus is moved to another future city with no Outpost cards, it gains the strength bonus again. There is no limit to the amount of strength bonuses a unit can receive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jian W
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I may be interpreting it wrong, but Kid's ability enables you to use the ability of another Soldier already in the city, not copy the ability and make it his own.

Therefore, when Kid enters the city, you can use the Scout's ability to move a soldier ALREADY IN THE CITY. Since Kid just entered the city and we are still resolving the entering effects, he is not eligible to be moved. It must be another unit that was already there when Kid enters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grill Murray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since these cards haven't changed in the new edition I assume there is some rule that prevents this? Be nice to get an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems completely legal to me, but it is not necessarily as powerful as it sounds. It is not that hard for moloch to kill single strong targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fortunately the rule book (second edition) is completely clear about this.

Page 10: Undefended Future Cities

"Each time a robot or solider card is played from the player's hand or moved (due to a unit's skill or playing an instant card) to any future city where the opponent is not located (there are no cards on the other side of the city), it receives a +1 to its strength."

It then goes on to say:

"If a card that has already acquired a strength token is moved to another future city with no opponent cards, it gains that strength bonus again."

There is no limitation on how many it can gain. There is no limitation on how many it can gain on a per-turn basis. If the criteria is satisfied the effect occurs.

I hope this helps you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Almeida
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nevhirion wrote:
Hmm, I may be interpreting it wrong, but Kid's ability enables you to use the ability of another Soldier already in the city, not copy the ability and make it his own.

Therefore, when Kid enters the city, you can use the Scout's ability to move a soldier ALREADY IN THE CITY. Since Kid just entered the city and we are still resolving the entering effects, he is not eligible to be moved. It must be another unit that was already there when Kid enters.

Considering that the ability is trigged after the Kid enters in the city,
doesn't matter if the ability is trigged by Kid or the Scout, because the both will be avaliable to choose to move and then starting the loop.

The Kid will work almost like the "3th" scout, and it will make the "3 scouts" gain infinity strength tokens.

If Ignacy confirm that the combo is illegal for another reason, I would like to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would also like official conformation if this combo is allowed/intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot believe that one has not been given yet :s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's just one of the reasons I seldom buy portal games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
^ :-) .

There is absolutely no question that soldiers would gain tokens if they're moved endlessly. That's pretty clear from the manual.

However, after thinking about it, I think the way it's intended to work is like this:
If there's a scout in a future city, and the kid enters, the kid doesn't "become a copy of the scout" but simply triggers the scout ability again. It's as if the scout is doing its own ability for a second time.

By strict reading of the card, the scout has the ability to move another soldier ALREADY IN the city (arguably not "just entering" the city). That would mean that the kid is ineligible for this movement. (what nevhirion said above)

So the kid effectively triggering the scout could only move the other scout (if the kid entered a city with 2 scouts already placed) and the other scout would move, and the "combo" would end there.

It's worded a little weird, but this is the rule that I'll propose on my copy of the game, and IMO it makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiśniewski
Poland
Gliwice
flag msg tools
Hello, everyone. Yes, it appears there a loophole in the rules, one that was missed during playtesting. We apologize for it and thank you for drawing our attention to the problem.

I talked to the designer of the game. To fix this infinite loop, he decided to amend one of the rules. The Undefended Future Cities box on p. 10 of the manual reads:

Quote:
If a card that has already acquired a Strength bonus is moved to another future city with no opponent cards, it gains the Strength bonus again.

This rule now receives the following change:

Quote:
If a card that has already acquired a Strength bonus is moved to another future city with no opponent cards, it gains the Strength bonus again (max. 5 tokens on a single card).

Again, please accept our apologies. Thanks for being with us!

- Peter
www.portalgames.pl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.