Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the newest (13th) Firefly bgg site video, the presentation from the Essen show, the speaker talks about how the first expansion will have more cards ("that we couldn't fit in the first box"), and further expansions will allow "different styles of play." What could this mean? Unfortunately, this could be almost anything, and he can't say more at this time. Here are a few guesses, just for fun:

1. New Story Cards with alternate ways to fulfil Goals, so its not obvious what a player is up to.

2. New Story Cards allowing cooperative play.

3. New mechanisms for greater player interaction.

4. More Game Start options with various amounts of money, crew/items, and different ships (or ship upgrades).

5. Allowing one to play as the Alliance or the Reavers. I love this one. Yikes!

Any other guesses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope a lot more player interaction. To me it feels very bad when you play a game with up to three friends for 4-6 hours, and there is not much interaction in it. So I look forward to seeing decent co-op as well as competition rules, in which players' actions have impact on other players' games.

I could also imagine that - like with Battlestar Galactica or Fortune of Glory - the NPC powers (Reavers, Alliance) might get extensions - like more fleets, a new deck of event cards which may be played to interrupt other/ players' actions or with special NPC entities being played with kind of a game-IQ or maybe even avilable as playable forces in the game.

A bounty-hunter theme would suit the game well as well - you know, like with the end of the only season of "Serenity" ...

Best wishes!
Mad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
MaddockKrug wrote:

A bounty-hunter theme would suit the game well as well - you know, like with the end of the only season of "Serenity" ...

"Serenity" was the name of the movie. The TV show was called "Firefly."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think a bounty hunter expansion is in order (and, as I've noted elsewhere, the two most prominent omissions seem to be Jubal Early and Dobson).

The core game favors crime. It would be nice to see an expansion with options to level the playing field a little for someone who wants to play more on the straight and narrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
MaddockKrug wrote:

"Serenity" was the name of the movie. The TV show was called "Firefly."

I Always confuse them. Sorry. I like the TV-Show and movie, but I am far fromb eing a fan-boy ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One player is a sleeper agents who pick a word at the start of the game. If anyone at the table says that words, they must perform kill rolls for their entire crew.

Seriously though, a nice (and maybe slightly brutal) touch would be a nav card called Miranda. Pick a crew to discard (they were the sleeper) and perform a check for the rest to see if they survive.

Basically I'd like to see a little more hidden information/back stabbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George,

Glad to hear you say that about 'playing it straight,' since my thought about having some legal jobs that pay better was not well received on another thread. Guess the Whedon 'Verse is supposed to be really hardscrabble--more like moonshine running in general! At least, that is, away from the core planets. But I like any design element that lets you try different things, which is a good feature of the game already. In something like my ninth game (counting solos) a pal pulled off a 'brand new' tactic none of us had tried before and won handily, so there is more to explore in the original box than some people realize...

Of course, in the historic Old West, the largest 'robber baron' fortunes were made "legally" (according to the often corrupt or non regulated standards of the time--hmmm, not so different from today or all periods, eh?) Maybe we could see more of that, say an Alliance sponsored sub contractor competing with the independents. I'm sure with eight expansions the designers have things up their sleeve, and I hope they will not be just cosmetic additions.

Bounty Hunters we'll probably see in some form, but will we see Bounty Hunter players (or Alliance or Reaver players)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.