Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far there has been very little (if anything on here) about 4-5 ship type builds. I don't feel like providing a complete rundown. However, I went to Month 3 with the following 4-ship build:

Kronos One
Martok (6SP version)

Ch'tang
GenKhan
Klag

Generic B'Rel
Gowron

Romulan Science Vessel
Donatra
Cloaked Mines

I finished 2-1, losing in the finals. I was the only person with a 4-ship build. I controlled the planet all 3 matches. The problem came in the finals. The Ch'tang got one-shot on turn 2 thanks to some God-awful rolling. I tried to pay chicken the rest of the time and run him back around chasing me into my lone cloaked mines. If I had gotten one of his ships, I would have won on tiebreaking fleet points (thanks to 10 troops on the planet) and almost succeeded, but thanks to some more terrible rolling (i.e., no hits on 6 and 7 die attack rolls, and also whiffing completely with no evades on a couple 5 and 6 die defense rolls), it did not work.

Over all rounds, even with all my ships cloaking and without hitting a single Cloaked Mine, I was still subject to getting ships one-shot. I believe it happened twice to my 'attack' ships, even in the absence of Barrage of Fire or any obsurd modifying combos. Therefore, I am supremely confident that, without massive luck and failures by an opponent, a 5-ship D7 or 5-6 ship Praetus/Apnex swarm would get slaughtered more than it would win.

The good part is that I should all but have the final DS9 wrapped up. I got the max 7 Battle points (1 for participation, and 3 x 2 for wins) in months 1 and 2. I got 8 Battle points in Month 3 (1 for participation, 3 for 2 wins with the planet both time, and 1 for a loss). So I have 22 Battle Points. The next closest person is my wife who has 15 points, followed by what I believe is around 11 points in third (DonMegel)(didn't attend month 1). Everyone else left has only played 1 out of 3 months. Therefore, I'd have to just not show up to not win the DS9.

For Months 4 and on, without something seriously new coming out, I am sticking with 3-ship Klingon builds (Something like Maht-H'A, Kronos One, Ch'tang plus captains)...especially since I am going to have to pull 10 points for the Reinforcements Sideboard resource. I would welcome the opportunity to play something different, but the synergistic "adding attack die" combination of Martok (6), Gowron, and Donatra is too much attack value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:

The good part is that I should all but have the final DS9 wrapped up. I got the max 7 Battle points (1 for participation, and 3 x 2 for wins) in months 1 and 2. I got 8 Battle points in Month 3 (1 for participation, 3 for 2 wins with the planet both time, and 1 for a loss). So I have 22 Battle Points. The next closest person is my wife who has 15 points, followed by what I believe is around 11 points in third (DonMegel)(didn't attend month 1). Everyone else left has only played 1 out of 3 months. Therefore, I'd have to just not show up to not win the DS9.

For Months 4 and on, without something seriously new coming out, I am sticking with 3-ship Klingon builds (Something like Maht-H'A, Kronos One, Ch'tang plus captains)...especially since I am going to have to pull 10 points for the Reinforcements Sideboard resource. I would welcome the opportunity to play something different, but the synergistic "adding attack die" combination of Martok (6), Gowron, and Donatra is too much attack value.

You actually get 10 Battle Points for winning a month. There's 3 bonus Battle Points for taking first place, since more than 1 person could go 3-0 in a month. I didn't realize this until I won a tournament last month.

I was worried about this happening in our local tournaments. I'm glad that so far (between month 1 & 2) it isn't a run away. At both my primary stores we had different winners for each month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
[q="drscottkelly"]You actually get 10 Battle Points for winning a month. There's 3 bonus Battle Points for taking first place, since more than 1 person could go 3-0 in a month. I didn't realize this until I won a tournament last month.

I didn't remember that either. So that should give me 6 more BP, up to 28 total.

We had a new guy come in this month that hadn't played in OP1 or OP2. He should be right at 11 BP too since he won 3-0 and controlled the planet once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw one D-7 swarm in the two OP3s that I have played in this month and saw it win maybe twice. Both times it had control of the planet, mainly due to the amount of dice it was throwing at the other side. That taking into affect though it was harder for the swarm player to take the orbital battle because of the fact that he would lose ships fast.

Swarms work, but not as effectively as they do in X-Wing. Which is fortuanate because I don't want to see it as a tactic used all the time.

The reinforcement sideboards are nice, but are going to be a nightmare to make sure that they work right. I can see a lot of table side decisions coming in my future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won OP1 and OP2 at one place I play at... but don't ever get complacent. Wizkids has shown us with "extra battle point" for winning a round that they can allow stuff like this to happen. At another store I closed the gap while still missing month 2, I'm only barely behind the top 2 guys there now. And I completely missed a month!

Don't miss a month, and don't get complacent and DS9 could be yours We have yet to see how scoring will go for months after this and I can totally see Wizkids doing something crazy like allowing +2 points, +3 points per round just to give others the same chance as the guys doing very well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B L
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it confirmed that BP's are what you need to get the DS9? I can't seem to find anything official, and i contacted the guy who runs our OP and he said he doesn't know and wasn't told anything official from WizKids ... Also, where does it say you get 10 BP's for winning? Just checked the rule sheet from wizkids and it says nothing about that ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beltenebros wrote:
Is it confirmed that BP's are what you need to get the DS9? I can't seem to find anything official, and i contacted the guy who runs our OP and he said he doesn't know and wasn't told anything official from WizKids ... Also, where does it say you get 10 BP's for winning? Just checked the rule sheet from wizkids and it says nothing about that ...

Look at the any months instruction sheet, not the "Special Rules". At the bottom of the score sheet (2nd page) is this:

One (1) Point for Attending the Event
One (1) Point per LOSS
Two (2) Points per WIN
Two (2) Points per BYE
Three (3) Points for winning the Event

So that's 10 points for coming in first place. And the Admiral Token for a free reroll next month.

I thought I saw the rules for OP6 up somewhere that confirmed the BP over the entire 6 month tournament got the DS9 model, but they're not on the WizKids site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beltenebros wrote:

Cumulative Battle Points over all 6 months are what determines the DS9 with Fleet Points serving as the tie breaker.

The 10 points for winning comes from:
1 point for participating
2 points for each win (x 3 = 6 pts)
3 points for winning the month

...then, you can also take into account the bonus points for controlling the planet with a win in Month 3 for a max of 13 in Month 3 only.

To add, months 4 and 5 don't have any of the Bonus Battle Points like in month 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B L
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thanks guys. found it all in the judge score sheet rules on wizkid site. bottom of second page indicates everything. cheers!

and to contribute to this thread, the list i'm thinking of running for op3:

Ch'Tang (22)
-Toreth (5)
-Attack Pattern Omega (4)
-Drex (4)

K'Tinga (22)
-LE Martok (6)

Vorcha (26)
-Gowron (4)
-Miles O'Brien (2+1)
-Cloaked Mines (3+1)

Total 100 points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like this build overall:

Vor'cha Class (26)

Vor'cha Class (26)

Vor'cha Class (26)

K't'inga Class (22)

No tricks or gimmicks, just gobs of firepower and hull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
keokiyoung wrote:
I rather like this build overall:

Vor'cha Class (26)

Vor'cha Class (26)

Vor'cha Class (26)

K't'inga Class (22)

No tricks or gimmicks, just gobs of firepower and hull.

Aren't you worried about losing all the ships by being shot first by higher skill captains? Looks like you might lose one or two (maybe three with bad luck) by a higher captain 3 ship combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had an idea for a 5-ship "swarm" build for OP3. The idea is to grab all the cheapest ships with 3 attack or more, no captains, no upgrades.

I ended up with:

D7

Jem'hadar Attack Ship

U.S.S. Enterprise (Constitution)

Ferengi Marauder

Klingon K'Tinga.

The idea is to dominate the planet in the first turn or two, then hopefully overwhelm the opponent with lots of attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its a valid strat in X-Wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
I had an idea for a 5-ship "swarm" build for OP3. The idea is to grab all the cheapest ships with 3 attack or more, no captains, no upgrades.

I ended up with:

D7

Jem'hadar Attack Ship

U.S.S. Enterprise (Constitution)

Ferengi Marauder

Klingon K'Tinga.

The idea is to dominate the planet in the first turn or two, then hopefully overwhelm the opponent with lots of attacks.

If you are expecting to go against a cloaked fleet your attack power will be diluted, and you will score hits sporadically. That gives you opponent plenty of time to lock on to you fleet's ships and destroy enough for youto lose the match. You might even lose the planet depending on timing. If the opponent holds attacking the planet until enough of your ships are down he could conceivable win the planet when you have fewer ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:
its a valid strat in X-Wing

As people are so fond of observing, Doctor, This is not X-wing.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eris lulz
msg tools
how about:

5x D7s with
Terrell
Nudaq
Donatra
Martok (chtang)
Gowron

So you get three D7s with 5 attack dice and two with 6. Plus the extra evade for all, not much but it's something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eristicle wrote:
how about:

5x D7s with
Terrell
Nudaq
Donatra
Martok (chtang)
Gowron

So you get three D7s with 5 attack dice and two with 6. Plus the extra evade for all, not much but it's something.

Which all roll a mighty 2 evades if you can keep them in Range 1 of Terrell. And only take 4 hits to kill. Valdore class + Target Lock + Tactical Officer has a high chance of scoring 4 hits out of 4 base dice.

I just don't see any swarm tactics really working in STAW. Even 4 ship fleets are really 2 medium/big ships & 2 small science vessels. That's not a swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.