Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Let's discuss this BGG post rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/24552/new-game-round-up-tw...

Now I'm thoroughly confused as to how this game works.
Quote:

In this game, each player fields one of the superhero teams, with each hero — Captain America, Wolverine, Spider-Man, and more — being represented by custom-tooled dice; each team must be composed of 15 dice, and a player can "purchase" dice only from his team. Each hero also has one or more character reference cards, which show the special abilities for the characters based on the die rolls. Different versions of these cards will be available in booster packs, allowing for more customization of your team. Players use these dice to collect energy, recruit new heroes, and battle head-to-head. In addition, each player brings two basic action cards to the game, which are placed in the center of the table; both players can purchase these cards. A player wins once the opposing player has been reduced to zero life.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well these aren't rules but more a not very clear short description. I must say that the main attraction for me in this game is the dice combined with marvel, I never bought Quarriors because someone else in my game group already owns it, so this will be my "dice building game" so to speak.

As for the rules, if I understand correctly (skipping some parts):

Both players make up a deck consisting of cards and 15 dice. Within the card deck there should be exactly two basic action cards that both players put in the middle of the table. This means there are four basic action cards in the middle of the table, I assume the actions of which can be "bought" by the correct dice roll by either player. This means that chosing a strong card not only benefits you, but your opponent as well.

I need the rest to sink in a bit before I comment on that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm imagining it like so:

1) Players bring up to 15 dice. Each die corresponds to a card, but I can bring various amounts of dice for each card. For example, maybe I bring 5 wolverine dice, 3 spider-man dice, 3 Captain America dice, 2 Thor dice and 2 Cyclops dice. I also bring 2 basic action cards that have corresponding dice as well.

2) the basic action cards are placed in the middle of the table between the two players, and the other cards are placed on their owners side of the table, along with their corresponding dice

3) much like quarriors, you roll and spend energy or whatever to buy dice from either a character card or a basic action card, bring characters into play, play basic action dice (much like quarrior spells), etc.

4) when a character is rolled and brought into play, it deals damage. I am assuming that since each player has a life total, if the damage is not blocked by an opposing character, the player takes damage

5) whoever is reduced to 0 life first loses.

Pure speculation on my part, but that's my guess.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
1) Players bring up to 15 dice. Each die corresponds to a card, but I can bring various amounts of dice for each card. For example, maybe I bring 5 wolverine dice, 3 spider-man dice, 3 Captain America dice, 2 Thor dice and 2 Cyclops dice. I also bring 2 basic action cards that have corresponding dice as well.


I suspect the "Max:" number on the character cards limits how many dice you can bring for this character.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I just find it weird that it says you MUST bring a team with 15 dice, even though we're told there are only 16 Hero dice in the starter. Maybe the starter rules are simpler, like in the intro Vs. decks? It also reads like they all have to be on the same team (i.e. all X-men), but I hope/think I'm misinterpreting that.

I also kind of don't like that you can only by dice from "your" characters. As if you set up a game of Legendary but limited yourself to only buying Black Widow and Thor cards.

So what does a starting deck look like? I was thinking 8 Sidekicks and 4 "action" dice, but if you have to buy the action dice ....

Obviously, I've never actually played Quarriors, only read the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
I just find it weird that it says you MUST bring a team with 15 dice, even though we're told there are only 16 Hero dice in the starter. Maybe the starter rules are simpler, like in the intro Vs. decks? It also reads like they all have to be on the same team (i.e. all X-men), but I hope/think I'm misinterpreting that.

I also kind of don't like that you can only by dice from "your" characters. As if you set up a game of Legendary but limited yourself to only buying Black Widow and Thor cards.

So what does a starting deck look like? I was thinking 8 Sidekicks and 4 "action" dice, but if you have to buy the action dice ....

Obviously, I've never actually played Quarriors, only read the rules.


16 hero dice, but there is 44 dice total, so you can both take 8 hero dice and 7 sidekick dice I assume
and that's also assuming the 16 hero dice is correct information.

EDIT: better question, why 44 dice if you can only use 15 and there are only 16 hero dice (assumably the "better" dice)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each card has a Max amount of dice you may have in your army. You can NOT bring more than that. If the public info is correct the rules will be out on Dec 4th with the starter set!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BorisjeNL wrote:
EDIT: better question, why 44 dice if you can only use 15 and there are only 16 hero dice (assumably the "better" dice)

You can 'buy' additional dice during the game to add to your dice pool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
BorisjeNL wrote:
EDIT: better question, why 44 dice if you can only use 15 and there are only 16 hero dice (assumably the "better" dice)

You can 'buy' additional dice during the game to add to your dice pool.


I was assuming, perhaps wrongfully, that 15 was the max your deck could have. And you start of with say 5 and buy the other ten.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ImDoneItsOver wrote:
Each card has a Max amount of dice you may have in your army. You can NOT bring more than that. If the public info is correct the rules will be out on Dec 4th with the starter set!


According to a BGG admin it's moved back to january 2014
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I saw that as well.. hummm my how things change lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I only vaguely know the rules from a description I got the other day and that was one of the things I was told. I guess it may just give you more variety over what you can use, so the game isn't the same every time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
I'm imagining it like so:

1) Players bring up to 15 dice. Each die corresponds to a card, but I can bring various amounts of dice for each card. For example, maybe I bring 5 wolverine dice, 3 spider-man dice, 3 Captain America dice, 2 Thor dice and 2 Cyclops dice. I also bring 2 basic action cards that have corresponding dice as well.

2) the basic action cards are placed in the middle of the table between the two players, and the other cards are placed on their owners side of the table, along with their corresponding dice

3) much like quarriors, you roll and spend energy or whatever to buy dice from either a character card or a basic action card, bring characters into play, play basic action dice (much like quarrior spells), etc.

4) when a character is rolled and brought into play, it deals damage. I am assuming that since each player has a life total, if the damage is not blocked by an opposing character, the player takes damage

5) whoever is reduced to 0 life first loses.

Pure speculation on my part, but that's my guess.


I'm playtesting Yugioh Dice Masters, and as all of the Ice Masters games are interchangable, Im assuming the rules will stay the same, in which case, you are correct.

I cant add more, but I can say that is all correct.

If youve played Quarriors, youll be excited by the changes and variations made here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with the exception of the 5 Die mentioned in the #1 slot Max die count seems to be 4 At this time
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
knatebaker wrote:
Praxus wrote:
I'm imagining it like so:

1) Players bring up to 15 dice. Each die corresponds to a card, but I can bring various amounts of dice for each card. For example, maybe I bring 5 wolverine dice, 3 spider-man dice, 3 Captain America dice, 2 Thor dice and 2 Cyclops dice. I also bring 2 basic action cards that have corresponding dice as well.

2) the basic action cards are placed in the middle of the table between the two players, and the other cards are placed on their owners side of the table, along with their corresponding dice

3) much like quarriors, you roll and spend energy or whatever to buy dice from either a character card or a basic action card, bring characters into play, play basic action dice (much like quarrior spells), etc.

4) when a character is rolled and brought into play, it deals damage. I am assuming that since each player has a life total, if the damage is not blocked by an opposing character, the player takes damage

5) whoever is reduced to 0 life first loses.

Pure speculation on my part, but that's my guess.


I'm playtesting Yugioh Dice Masters, and as all of the Ice Masters games are interchangable, Im assuming the rules will stay the same, in which case, you are correct.

I cant add more, but I can say that is all correct.

If youve played Quarriors, youll be excited by the changes and variations made here.

So it's up to 15 dice, not exactly 15 dice?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"each team must be composed of 15 dice" I wish us PTers could go into more detail as a lot of the currently mentioned concerns COULD be remedied
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Local gameshop guy (not sure if he works there or hangs out there) told me a few things about it. I don't know how much is accurate and how much he skipped over. I know nothing of Quarriors, which we discussed briefly, so he may have gotten confused by what I asked and told me those rules by mistake, and I might have misunderstood some bits too. Each player starts with 10 points, which get reduced by attacks. If you get to zero then you lose. You roll a few dice each turn, and the results either give you energy or fighting powers. Energy is used to perform the fighting or buy more dice. Some dice give you other actions. The dice fight each other and then the players work out who loses points. Used-up dice are recycled when you run out. You need playmats to keep track of everything. If there are several cards for the same character then you can only use one of them in the game, but you can use several dice for it if you want. I forgot to ask how many dice and of what kind you start the game with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That basically sums up Quarriors. However, 10 life points and each hero being unique (for each player) are two things we hadn't heard yet. Though I guess hero uniqueness should be obvious since you would have to know which hero you were rolling for when you rolled a given die.

Edit: 10 life points seems awfully low though, given the shots of the dice that we've seen. One die could be as much as 8 attack all by its lonesome. If that die wasn't blocked, that would pretty much be game over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
Edit: 10 life points seems awfully low though, given the shots of the dice that we've seen. One die could be as much as 8 attack all by its lonesome. If that die wasn't blocked, that would pretty much be game over.


Wouldn't this mean 10 life points per hero or something like that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you aren't familiar with Quarriors, there are three numbers on a creature, or in this case, hero die.

The number in the upper left is its "level" or how much quiddity/energy/whatever it costs to summon it

The number in the upper right is the attack value of the die, how much damage it deals

The number in the bottom right is the defense or health of the die. Once it takes this much damage from an attack, it is discarded to your used pile.

Now if you look at the images on the wolverine dice below, you'll see what I mean that the attack value on there doesn't seem like it would work with 10 life points per player

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe it's something like "endurance" loss in Vs. If Wolverine attacks for 8 and your guy only has a defense of 6, you lose 2 life points.

Pure speculation, of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Maybe it's something like "endurance" loss in Vs. If Wolverine attacks for 8 and your guy only has a defense of 6, you lose 2 life points.

Pure speculation, of course.


it could be, but even then a lucky roll of one player and a bad of the other could mean the game would be over in one roll? That doesn't seem quite right (or I'm not following, lol)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BorisjeNL wrote:
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Maybe it's something like "endurance" loss in Vs. If Wolverine attacks for 8 and your guy only has a defense of 6, you lose 2 life points.

Pure speculation, of course.


it could be, but even then a lucky roll of one player and a bad of the other could mean the game would be over in one roll? That doesn't seem quite right (or I'm not following, lol)


No the game will not be over in one roll I can promise that(though you can end a game in such a manner but that will take awhile)there are no FTK or OTKs because you must "purchase" your units before use. So many of you are so very close to the basic rule set up. Im hoping that Wizkids/Neca will announce the rules before the game actually gets released in Jan 2014.. but hey keep on speculating guys you may stumble on the rule set yet
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised they haven't already released the rules, given that the game is only weeks away it should be at the printers already.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm guessing "FTK" means "first turn kill" and "OTK" means "one turn kill." Although Google thinks "FTK" means "fuck the kids."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.