Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was playing Conflict at the Carrock last night. In one hand I had Aragorn(lore), Elrond, and Glorfindel(sp). The other had Legolas, Elladan and Elrohir. In my opening lore/spirit hand I managed to get Vilya and Asfaloth; sweet right? I buy Vilya with my first purchase, use it and pull up...you guessed it Vilya! Guess which card I picked next turn...yup, Asfaloth (of course after purchasing it). The 3rd Vilya card was Light of Valinor which of course I had drawn and played the previous turn. After that Vilya redeemed itself by marching out a couple of rock stars (Unexpected Courage and Haldir).

Not sure if anyone else has had that before but I certainly haven't, 3 unusable cards in a row. Maybe a deck building mistake including so many doubles of uniques, but I was sick of not getting any in previous games. I did manage to do quite well (I think, not sure what a good 2p score is) and finished with 165pts. Legolas was roasted however...slowly.

Crogstad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually hold off on Vilya'ing until I get a deck scryer in play (usually Imladris Stargazer) with my current Elrond/Glorfindel/Frodo deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
I actually hold off on Vilya'ing until I get a deck scryer in play (usually Imladris Stargazer) with my current Elrond/Glorfindel/Frodo deck.
Yep, using Vilya blind is generally a recipe for frustration. Likewise, I generally avoid it unless I have a Stargazer in play, or at least an Unexpected Courage on Elrond so he can still do something useful if Vilya draws an unusable card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
Yep, using Vilya blind is generally a recipe for frustration. Likewise, I generally avoid it unless I have a Stargazer in play, or at least an Unexpected Courage on Elrond so he can still do something useful if Vilya draws an unusable card.

Agreed. Now that I think about it, I don't have much enthusiasm vilya'ing until Elrond has an Unexpected Courage on him either. After the Stargazer and Unexpected Courage are deployed, it's on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
scwont wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

Agreed. Now that I think about it, I don't have much enthusiasm vilya'ing until Elrond has an Unexpected Courage on him either. After the Stargazer and Unexpected Courage are deployed, it's on.
Or use the new plan B: Elf-Stone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Elf Stone, it's too inconsistent for me and there are other cards with the same effect but you can more directly target which player benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Anatole69 wrote:
I don't like Elf Stone, it's too inconsistent for me and there are other cards with the same effect but you can more directly target which player benefits.

Up to you but Elf Stone is perfectly neat Elrond Vilya Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:

Same here, i use vilya only after i get imladris stargazer or gildor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I used to hate this happening, and it just seemed to be happening a lot. My most usual pull was A Test of Will.

I think there are two good approaches, one as the above suggest: with Gazer or Gildor. The other, in a deck that doesn't use extra unique copies. I had a decent mono-Lore deck with Elrond, and the only card that Vilya wouldn't put into play were the other two copies of Vilya. 47 out of 49 made it pretty sweet. But even then, you need to fill the deck with cards that count, because you still lose Elrond's action which is so valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will never trust Elrond and his Ring again after what he cold-heartedly did to his daughter.

The scenario is Return to Mirkwood and I desperately need to bring an ally into play to feed a hungry Attercop.

You can guess the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Pulling unusable card with Vilya does sucks, but when you think about it it works out in your favour.

If you hadn't Vilya, you would've drawn unusuable card after another for 3 additional turns.

Sounds like a good thing Vilya pulled those cards to the bottom of deck so you can get closer to useful cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
Pulling unusable card with Vilya does sucks, but when you think about it it works out in your favour.

If you hadn't Vilya, you would've drawn unusuable card after another for 3 additional turns.

Sounds like a good thing Vilya pulled those cards to the bottom of deck so you can get closer to useful cards.
Not if the "unusable" card is something like A Test of Will or Hasty Stroke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vilya is borderline broken, so yes, it is a good thing that it doesn't work all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.