Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I cannot win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I have played Brigandoom 7 times now by myself playing three characters and cannot win.

I have played with 2 different types of character combinations. I played four times with Lem, Ezren, and Valeros. I switched Lem for Harsk and played 3 times with Harsk, Ezren, and Valeros.

Every time I have tried I have failed. My card counter of 30 always runs out before I can close all 5 spots (as stated for three characters). I came close to winning once with Harsk, Lem and Valeros, by closing three sights when I defeated the bandit henchman, but I never made it to Vishyl in time...

It seems impossible to get through all of the location decks in order to close them before time runs out, so is it just luck whether one encounters the henchmen in time?

The enemies have been tough. I was raped by the Werewolf and by the Giant Ogre. The Bunyip is a pain too. Am I only supposed to be fighting basic enemies in the beginning?

Are the card deck suggestions for the characters at the back of the rule book the best decks to build?

Also, when I play Ezren's Lightning Touch, and use his Arcane Intelligence do the two extra 4 sided dice apply although Ezren does not have the electric ability?

Is anyone else struggling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, when I play Ezren's Lightning Touch, and use his Arcane Intelligence do the two extra 4 sided dice apply although Ezren does not have the electric ability?

Lightning Touch *gives* your attack the electricity trait. It doesn't require it. You always get +2d4 when using Lightning Touch.

Quote:
Are the card deck suggestions for the characters at the back of the rule book the best decks to build?

No, but they are usable. You'll do better building your own decks.

In general, the more characters you have, the more extra explores you need to do - using blessings, allies or Ezren's special ability to get extra explores is what gets you past the timer. You mustn't be doing very many if you're running out of time with 3 characters.

Also, you don't have to close all the locations. If you can close 2, you can use the temporary closing ability when you encounter the villain (and have your characters on the other locations) to prevent his fleeing, and win the game then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb question on my part, but you are having characters help each other from different locations...aren't you?

Early on, I forgot to allow assistance from one character to another and struggled quite a bit. Adding dice to your rolls is the key to defeating checks and moving on in a timely manner vs. the blessings deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
Hello.
It seems impossible to get through all of the location decks in order to close them before time runs out, so is it just luck whether one encounters the henchmen in time?

Pretty much. The other evening, my wife closed two locations and defeated the villain, before I could get through my one location. At least I was able to temporarily close my location while she defeated the bad guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very rare to be able to empty every location. Sometimes even though you know there might still be good loot there you just don't have the time to keep searching and need to take the opportunity to close the location early when you defeat the henchman.

You will need to use the extra search ability of blessings etc. without using extra searches for characters, it becomes extremely rare to get through in time. Yes, this does in effect mean in most cases you are spending life points to do additional searches.

Where the henchman and villain appear order wise, will make the mission either really quick or really long, it's a luck thing. If your lucky you'll knock out all the henchman (close locations) and then find the villain last. That'll give you an almost perfect run. If you stumble across the villain first and early, I'm yet to complete the mission yet when that happens.

The timer for this game is really what makes it hard.

Anyway good luck on your next run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
The enemies have been tough. I was raped by the Werewolf and by the Giant Ogre. The Bunyip is a pain too. Am I only supposed to be fighting basic enemies in the beginning?

For Perils, you technically should have only the banes (and boons) with a B in the upper-right corner (also C if you have the character add-on). Some people have probably added in the Adventure Pack 1 (Burnt Offerings) cards, but to each his own.

How many cards (roughly) are left in each characters deck when the timer runs out? if they're not close to death then, as others suggested, you might need to spend them for extra searches. Once those cards are discarded, each has a built-in recharge mechanism:
Valeros with recharging weapons, Harsk with the +1d4 attack at another location, Ezren with the spell recharging...

and if a particular monster is always giving you trouble, just leave him in the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly they have all be close to death. I do share cards (mostly blessings) and use abilities when available but no luck.

I have not added any decks in. I own the Character Expansion and Burnt Offerings but have not included them to the original deck yet.

It is frustrating.

Watch out for the the werewolf....

I saw a video of a couple playing and could not understand how they were able to close a location without defeating a henchman or clearing out a deck, but they did. I do not want to cheat while playing solitare. What's the point then?

I was wondering if there were cards that negatively affected one's characters such as a charm spell or a frightened effect that makes them run away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
I saw a video of a couple playing and could not understand how they were able to close a location without defeating a henchman or clearing out a deck, but they did.

Were they playing the "Local Heroes" scenario? In that one there are no villains or henchmen. Instead you can attempt to close a location when you acquire an ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
I saw a video of a couple playing and could not understand how they were able to close a location without defeating a henchman or clearing out a deck, but they did. I do not want to cheat while playing solitare. What's the point then?

I haven't seen any videos, but if you encounter the Villain and beat him, you auto-close the location.

I don't know...I would keep at it - they will only gain better boons, or maybe drop down to 2 characters...or try with Merisiel and/or Seoni...but Ezren can usually plow through spell/item heavy locations with his ability.

But I can see it being frustrating always running out of time...hopefully it's at least fun playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#Tips
1. look at close locations requirements only send characters with those skills to those locations, or its its discard and ally or blessing keep one on hand!,

e.g it requires Survival to close send some one with survival or high base dice at least

2. explore twice or more each turn, spend a blessing or an ally /spell to do this if possible
( your NOT running down the timer each explore are you?)

3. are you doing the maths right and adding the correct +3's etc..most main skill stats or +3
Str 1d8 + weapon 1d8 + str stat (+3) + maybe you discard/recharge the weapon add blessing etc..
minimum roll would be 5 "average" roll would be 12 which kills most monsters thats with out the extra effect and blessings (not were wolf and orge but ...most)

4. are you using the temporary closing the locations method, cut of the escape routes,

( if you beat a villain and he has no where to run to hes dead, if you beat a villain and there are some open locations you now have better knowledge of where he his..hopefully only 1-2 open location)

5.if you fail to close after beating a henchman you know the villain is not in this deck, so either keep a character here to try the temporary close option and start looking though the other decks, or abandon the location and chase the villain here, , to me its all about how to trap the villain with the temporary close option,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My Tips
1)Discard Blessings and allies for extra explores in a location. Burning through these helps with making sure you have enough time.
2) Try not to keep an "ideal" hand, make sure you occassionally discard or recharge cards. I recommend making sure you have at least 1 new card every turn. (Ideally most of these should be recharges). This makes sure your blessing and allies turn up.
3) If the Holy Candle appears make sure you get it. This gives you an extra 1-6 turns every game.
4) When fighting the Villian dont lose. Burn through cards to win. If you lose you lose time (unless only one location is open).
5) Use characters abilities when necessary. Ezra's ability to reexplore every time he gets a magic item or spell is brilliant. Harsk can see what the next card is at the end of his turn, meaning you have an idea who to send to that location to either beat it or gain it. If he sees the Villian you can then rearrange your party to maximise the chances of defeating him (or to grab as much loot from other locations before you take them on).
6) Match up the location to the characters. I generally split my party of 4 (Kyra to Blessing heavy locations, Ezra to spell heavy, etc). Also take into consideration the adventure goals, villians and location condition (later missions are harder if you split the party too much).
7) Make sure you shuffle each of the location decks. Having the henchmen/villian as your last encounter is always going to be a long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you have to close two locations minimum, not all. After that, you can just spread out and temporarily close locations if someone happens upon the Villain. Of course this assumes that people are actually able to close their location, which definitely is not always the case, but it should at least make it easier to find the Villain again. And hopefully you know that defeating a Villain will close that location automatically. But just keep in mind that you don't HAVE to close all locations (strictly speaking, you never close that last one anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your advice. I am actually doing everything everybody suggests. Maybe the dice are not going to my advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
Maybe the dice are not going to my advantage.

That, and the henchmen/villain are always appearing on the bottom... I guess for every "I beat the scenario in 5 turns" there is your party creating the balance...

Have faith...they will prevail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
But just keep in mind that you don't HAVE to close all locations (strictly speaking, you never close that last one anyway).

Sure you do. You beat the villain, then close the location (checking for other villains, as always), then the villain has no open location to escape to, so you win. The last location is permanently closed for the last couple of seconds of the game... strictly speaking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time I have used up all of my good cards trying to get to the Villan. I often fail in being able to close the locations. Yes, the cards are shuffled.

During one game Harsk was killed with three time keeping cards left and two locations closed...

No one else is struggling with the game at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
Most of the time I have used up all of my good cards trying to get to the Villan. I often fail in being able to close the locations. Yes, the cards are shuffled.

During one game Harsk was killed with three time keeping cards left and two locations closed...

No one else is struggling with the game at all?

I'm not sure what you mean by struggling. I have never lost or had a character die after my first few play throughs (and the subsequent "reboot"). But, most every game so far has been a real nail-biter with more than a few near misses. I find this game to be challenging but not impossible. I do wonder if there isn't one fundamental thing that you are not doing right and that's what's putting your game off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I think you are doing something wrong.

There is no way the game could be that harsh... And the fact you did lose a character, especially Harsh is an indication something isn't working as intented.

Could you please post a quick report of one of your game turn ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
Gawain wrote:
But just keep in mind that you don't HAVE to close all locations (strictly speaking, you never close that last one anyway).

Sure you do. You beat the villain, then close the location (checking for other villains, as always), then the villain has no open location to escape to, so you win. The last location is permanently closed for the last couple of seconds of the game... strictly speaking ;)

The location isn't closed before you check if there is any Villain there. As soon as you see there is no more Villains there, (is there even a scenario with more than one Villain yet?) you have won. You don't then bother with closing it ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really would avoid Ezren for your first play-through. He can be a difficult character to master if you're not used to the basic, core elements of the game, and it sounds as if you really aren't. For once, I agree with the Frenchman: it sounds as if you're doing something wrong. I struggled a bit early on, but that was because we weren't properly utilizing all characters' powers...some people would forget to do so (e.g., using Harsk's scouting power). I / we have never, ever had a character die. We only had to "run out the clock" once and not explore due to risk of death. In 30-40 games multi-player, we've run out of time only twice. Generally, the players "get it" and improve their game after losing once on time, realizing that beating the clock > getting the treasure and adjusting strategies accordingly.

To begin with, I would mix in the Character Add-On. There are several very useful cards in there that you could encounter & keep. If you're going to be "grinding" through a scenario, you may as well try to get good loot. You ARE rebuilding your decks after every playthrough...getting rid of cards with the "basic" trait when you have better options available...aren't you?

Are you actually trying to close the locations immediately after defeating henchmen - not running through the entire location deck? It's difficult to imagine you're having time issues with only three characters...with that few characters, I generally defeat the scenario on turn 20-25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Doffing

California
msg tools
Honestly the best thing you can do is reread the rules. In terms of strategy, defensive cards suck, toss them for anything you can like lem's trading ability or merisiel's combat ability. Failing an important roll is inexcusable, you should fail 1-2 at most a game. The average time to go through a location is 5 1/2 turns so 5 locations is 27 turns. You should use most your blessings to succeed on rolls. When you are down to 10 time cards left, it is a good time to evaluate if you need to blow through extra explores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted it already several time on other thread but here is the basic method to win the game :

1- Split the heroes, each one on the location s/he have best chance to close.
2- Use your allies for extra-explore, same for blessing.
3- If you encounter the vilain and can beat him, beat him. That is one locatin autoclosed, your team is in position to corner it in a few optionnal retreat.
4- When you can close, close. Dont be greedy, dont try to get that cards, just close. The campaign is long, best cards appear all the time. You always have the lost games to stuff, concentrate on winning.
5- Do the math. Compute your basic average roll and decide if you need to add cards or not.
6- You DONT have to close all locations. You have to close 2 location, only two. The others just need one hero to temporaly close it when the vilain show up.
7- Dont stack heroes unless there is less location open than heroes.
8- Dont create support heroes. If a heroes is not able to beat the vilain then you play with one more location open. This is often more costly in game turn than what the support character could provide in help.
9- When a heroes is low on health, retreat him to a safe location and stop exploring with him. Let him just play the picket so the vilain can't escape there.

Question to the OP : is there others games you found difficult ? what are games you won easily ? What are you usually playing ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your strategy advice. I have been following a very similar path.

I have occasionally stacked heroes against something like the Giant Ogre in order to beat it.

Yes, I have burned cards to keep exploring.

Yes I have read the rules carefully.

No, I do not always get the auto close because the dice roll is low and I have no extra blessings.

A hero does not stop a Villain from fleeing to a location if he is unable to close it? I had a situation where I had tow closed sites and heroes in the two other locations, but they both failed to close it.

I played Star Trek Fleet Commanders the other day. I am going to play Fog of War Strike of the Eagle this weekend hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:

I have occasionally stacked heroes against something like the Giant Ogre in order to beat it.

This is troublesome...

How did you do that ? and why do you think this could have helped you ?

There is very little card that help in a combat that require for you to be present at the same location.

And usually you dont have time to plan that you are going to encounter a peculiar monster, especially as it is shuffled after encounter if undefeated.

I agree that some of the tutorial campaign monster are very hard for beginner party, and somewhat AP1 is easier because it dilute thoses extra high test monsters with less powerfull goblins et al.

WLMIV wrote:

No, I do not always get the auto close because the dice roll is low and I have no extra blessings.

A hero does not stop a Villain from fleeing to a location if he is unable to close it? I had a situation where I had tow closed sites and heroes in the two other locations, but they both failed to close it.

Autoclose by defeating the vilain doesn't require a check.

If your heroes failed to close the location, especially in brigandoom then I think either you didn't take enough care of assigning the right people to the right location, you didn't play check correctly or you are indeed extremely unlucky. Brigandoom location are usually easy to close, requiring simple 6 roll or discard or beating a 8 combat bandit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:

As others have said, it is extremely beneficial to not lose against the Villain, especially if there are failed attempts to temporary close locations. If my party only has one blessing available, I will opt to save this blessing to help beat the Villain's combat check instead of using it to temporary close a location. The Villain may escape, but at least if I beat the combat check the extra blessings come from the box and not the Blessings deck. The Auto-close and beating the villain are more important than almost anything else, in my opinion.

I understand if it can't always work like that, and sometimes dice just have a "1" magnet or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.