Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World was/is one of my favorite games, but due to the theme I ended up trading it away because it simply wasn't getting played within my circle of friends. I'm curious if there is a similar-enough game that also...

- Has asymmetry
- has area control and non-combat methods of gaining points
- has a different theme than "Prime Demons destroying the face of the earth"
- has a similar weight to CitOW (something like Small World or Condottiere is a bit too light)

Kemet and El Grande are two of the area control games that've caught my eye, but I confess I don't know enough about the genre to make comparisons.

Thanks thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars.

The theme is totally different, "ancient elder gods destroying the face of the earth."

-Dave devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Cthulhu Wars.

The theme is totally different, "ancient elder gods destroying the face of the earth."

-Dave devil

I watched that one closely during its KS stage with the exact thought "dang, this looks like CitOW...but with Shub-Niggurath."

What held me back was the immense cost of getting half of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would something like Small World be a better fit for your group? There's still some combat but it's much more whimsical IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it's on the second page of your collection.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Would something like Small World be a better fit for your group? There's still some combat but it's much more whimsical IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it's on the second page of your collection.

-Dave

Yeah, that's a bit too light, and my wife and I already own it. *Editing the OP because "similar in weight to CitOW" seems like a crucial part of the question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never having played CitOW I'm fumbling in the dark a little here, but maybe Cyclades might scratch a similar itch?

The asymmetry comes from the different gods you bid for, or mythological creatures you hire to assist you.
Area control - check
Non combat methods of gaining points - check

Or maybe Mare Nostrum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps take a look at City of Remnants. I think it would meet most of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure this is pointing you in the right direction, but you might want to take a look at Belfort. It is a game that looks pretty interesting to me and is about area control. I've heard it compared to a board game version of Warcraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, i know of a great one, but there are 2 reasons why it might not work.

Rex: Final Days of an Empire

Asymmetry? Check. About the same weight? Check. Theme isn't QUITE as brutal? Check.

Only downsides are that it relies more on combat for victory. Also, I'm not sure if you're playing CitOW with 3, but I wouldn't play Rex with less than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers with the Factions expansion to give it the asymmetrical powers might do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet

It's not area control (like El Grande) though. It's more king-of-the-hill. In El Grande, players in second place get a benefit, and more than one player can be in the area at once, so it comes down to counting the "control" markers a player has there.

In Kemet, there will never be two players in the same region at the end of a turn/round/phase. When a player moves in, they battle and the one left standing is the only player who gets the benefit of the area.

Battles in Kemet are non-random. Players all have the same 6 battle cards at the start of the game. When two players are involved in a battle, they each choose two of their cards from the 6: once is discarded immediately, the other is used in the battle. After a player has been involved in three battles, his 6 cards will be used up, so he reshuffles his cards and cycles through them again. There are NO DICE in resolving battles. It's a brilliant mechanic and makes the timing of battles even more important than it already is.

And as for ways to score points besides attacking, Kemet has it in spades. Attacking may be the most common way to get points, but it is critical to be getting them in other ways, or you will lose.

Chaos has been my go-to hybrid of choice for a long time. The only thing I didn't like about it was its strict requirement for exactly 4 or 5 players. Now that I have Kemet, which plays well at all playcounts (haven't tried 2 yet, but I've heard from multiple trusted sources that it's still great with 2), it will probably be the game that finally fires Chaos for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet and El Grande are both fine choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Kemet as a A game of throne the board game on a diet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

Asymmetry? Check. About the same weight? Check. Theme isn't QUITE as brutal? Check.

Only downsides are that it relies more on combat for victory. Also, I'm not sure if you're playing CitOW with 3, but I wouldn't play Rex with less than 4.

This is a good answer. (Caveat: I've only played the original implementation in Dune).

Side Note @ OP: Your review of Chaos and your farewell to Chaos is what spurred me to buy both CotW and CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

This is a good answer. (Caveat: I've only played the original implementation in Dune).

Side Note @ OP: Your review of Chaos and your farewell to Chaos is what spurred me to buy both CotW and CE.

Nice! Glad to see my review is still doing some good for my fellow BGGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures? 4X game, plenty of ways to get points outside of military, area control by building cities (which give you points), theme of ancient civilizations beginning and expanding, tons of fun, scales well 2-4, great bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infamy
City of Remnants

Both are new, so I havent played them, but they look somewhat similar. Infamy has really caught my eye, Mercury games seems like they have some good stuff published. (The Capitals by them also looks great.)

I hear El Grande being comparable quite often, so you may want to try that first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is another possibility - varying victory conditions, area control, somewhat cuddlier than demons doing demonic stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love area control games!

el grande is the um grand daddy, but i believe it's OOP, :/

i know u noted non-combat way of getting vp's but i would strongly take a look at Wallenstein or it's brother Shogun.

it's mostly euro but with some 'combat' elements. at most though each player can only have 2 combat rounds in one turn, out of i think 8 actions.

King of Siam is a fun area majority game that works well for 3 players.

i've played kemet about 2 or 3 times and i know people love it, but i personally don't. i would try b4 u buy. maybe it plays better with 4 players but with 3, it seemed a bit broken in that one player attacks someone, the winner is left weak thus allowing the 3rd player to swoop in. i'm sure people will argue, but 2 other people i played with walked away with the same feelings.

good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.