Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I have an idea of a fun way, I think, to help balance the game and aid the detectives. In the handful of games that I've played we have found it very difficult to pinpoint down to one exact number where Jack is. What if when a clue is found a colored clue token is placed there and it's color is dependant on how old that clue is. Say if Jack is within one move away from that found clue it is orange. If Jack is two to four moves away it's yellow. And anything five moves away and older it's blue. Or something to that effect. Any ideas? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Kelleher
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That strikes me as an extreme advantage to the detectives.

Many times while playing as Jack I have been right next to a Police, and if they asked, and received a time-specific colour, they would never, ever start going down a wrong trail and instead become bloodthirsty. The best feeling is when I am almost caught, but then they go in a different direction because they think the clue is too old (usually because I enjoy double-backing on my route).

I usually find with my games, if I as Jack win, that the Police had a pretty strong idea where I was (ie a 3 - 4 circle cluster) and just needed to close in on me properly. It's been very rare that they had no idea at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also find it harder for the detectives to win. So we play with the 3 official variants in the rules.

1) If an investigator doesn't search, they can move a 3rd space.
2) You can once per game guess the hideout space of Jack. If you do so, you win.
3) Area arrest. When you arrest you arrest at each space that you could normally ask for clues about (adjacent).

Uses these 3 variants seem to make it a 50/50 proposal now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
"Too late, you took your finger off the piece..."
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
We also find it harder for the detectives to win. So we play with the 3 official variants in the rules.

1) If an investigator doesn't search, they can move a 3rd space.
2) You can once per game guess the hideout space of Jack. If you do so, you win.
3) Area arrest. When you arrest you arrest at each space that you could normally ask for clues about (adjacent).

Uses these 3 variants seem to make it a 50/50 proposal now.

We use variant 1 & 2. Number 3 has been brought up but we've never used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggested variant would make it way too easy to pinpoint Jack's location.

When you play as the police you may find it useful to note which locations you search on which turns. Information on where Jack hasn't been and when is also very useful.

Try the official variants before going here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the creativity but it would break the game too far the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the theme and the suspense of being hot on Jacks trail as you get closer and Jack having to duck down a dark alleyway to escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, points for creativity, but alas....WAY too strong an aid for the detectives.

The only way I would even consider a mod like this, is for a daring, experienced Jack player vs a horde of newbie or younger players and even then..it is just too strong.

The mods proposed in this very thread as well as this game's subforum are already excellent and balancing IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input all! Hopefully will get to try out the mods this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.