Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was played between Glen, Dave and myself. We used both the main expansion and the new character expansion - Krang. I played Krang, and the game was full of Krangness for me as a result. I started the game, and surveyed the board...

My first objective was the monastery, as I had some nice influence cards in hand. The other two, playing Tovak (Dave) and Arythea (Glen) moved past me, Glen taking the orcs adjacent to the monastery. Dave then entered the shrine only to find two monsters... one of which summoned a medusa which destroyed his hand. Abandoning that as a bad idea, he moved forward.

Glen and I discovered some monsters. The first day ended with Glen on 3 Fame, me on 2 Fame and Dave yet to gain any Fame. It had been a quiet day, but the night promised to be busy.

Well, busyish. Forest slowed us down (especially Dave), and the major points of interest were some orcs and a maze that Glen entered, although he misinterpreted how it worked (he thought he could enter more than once, clearing out each of the sections); I advised him otherwise once he realised.

I ended the turn on a monastery, improving my units. I wasn't going to make the mistake of my last game where a poor selection of units doomed me to poor results!

Dave and I pushed forward through the next day, finding the first city. It proved tricky to approach with water and wasteland surrounding it. Glen decided not to push forward and instead explore some of the areas in the first part of the territory that we'd ignored. Dave captured a keep, and was happy.

Dave captured a second keep and ended up with quite a few cards in hand. Admittedly, several of them were wounds, and he was having trouble healing. Glen burnt down a monastery and returned to the first ruin. I captured a keep and prepared to assault the white city.

I captured the white city and went into a serious recruiting drive. Glen continued to visit far parts of the map (at least compared to where I started), and we discovered where the other two cities were.

And Dave got very frustrated from a lack of movement cards with a lot of difficult terrain to get through!

In the last stages of the game, Dave had a great run, capturing both the Green and Red cities! I was astonished. Glen came back our way, taking control of Dave's keeps on the way. And I made sure that I had the best units by far (and killed a few other monsters on the map).

The final scores were good: Merric 92, Glen 66, Dave 64. Dave lost a lot of points for wounds, despite the bonuses for city control. My units took me over the top. Just look at them!

That's 16 victory points there. I was happy. I had expected to use Krang's crystal-generating powers more than I ended up doing, and in the end played a game that I think was somewhat atypical for Krang's strengths, but I couldn't argue with the result. We're really enjoying Mage Knight - we'd probably play it more often, but player numbers are often too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take it personally, but I think you should read a post here on BGG how to play more efficiently.
I'm writing this because you didn't level up on Day 1.
I also noticed you didn't burn that monastery down.
It probably paid off for your recruiting, but good players won't leave those walls standing and bells calling for night prays.
Mage Knights like Artifacts and when they smell it nearby they do everything to take it!

But you probably had great fun - that's important!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rojas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
Don't take it personally, but I think you should read a post here on BGG how to play more efficiently.
It probably paid off for your recruiting, but good players won't leave those walls standing and bells calling for night prays.
Mage Knights like Artifacts and when they smell it nearby they do everything to take it!

Mage knights LOVE artifacts Id say! LOLO and true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the wrong thread to discuss strategy. Take it somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Artifacts are a bit over rated.

I would take just about anything over an artifact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

I disagree with all but the last sentence. In most cases, I'd rather explore the game-space on my own than read strategy articles - at least until I get to a certain level. My goal is not to be the champion [insert game here] player, but to explore the game space and improve on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right!
I'm sorry for my remark.
but I told you don't take it personally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
In most cases, I'd rather explore the game-space on my own than read strategy articles ... to explore the game space and improve on my own.

This entirely. I'm far more interested in exploring the options available in a game rather than finding the One Killer Strategy. Especially as most of my friends also play relatively casually. (We like winning, but the pursuit of it isn't all-consuming).

For that reason, I can still play games like War of the Ring (original) and A Few Acres of Snow - they may be "solved" by experts, but not by us, and we still have a lot of exploration to do.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
This entirely. I'm far more interested in exploring the options available in a game rather than finding the One Killer Strategy. Especially as most of my friends also play relatively casually. (We like winning, but the pursuit of it isn't all-consuming).

FWIW I don't think that there is a OKS for this game anyway. Even the "burn monasteries for artifacts" idea isn't universal depending on the scenario and situation. It's a fantastic game space to explore and have fun with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.