Popular Tags: [View All]
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game two times and I had problems with the oil springs. It was very hard for me to get one and this ruined my game.
In the last game I even didn't get a oil spring. My opponent got it in the first round and in the second round the commercial news came up where you got $10,000 if a oil spring was rolled. And this news stayed until the end of the game.
And later on the crude oil barrels where almost sold out and I couldn't buy any.

I had no chance to win. Was it just bad luck? Does anyone else had problems to not get an oil spring which ruined the game?

The next time I play again I would houserule that every player gets an oil spring at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you need to begin the game with more rigs if you want to play that strategy. like 10-18 rigs is a good start if you really want an early well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been known to start the game with 36 oil rigs, to guarantee some early wells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
I've been known to start the game with 36 oil rigs, to guarantee some early wells.

But then you are broke and have just $20 left. You can buy 2 oil springs and then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
then you sell off some of your rigs and buy other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Risky to have so less cash when bad news come up, but I will try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:

This strategy actually works quite well. Going for a balance of rigs, refineries and gas stations is ideal in theory, but it can leave you vulnerable if you have bad luck and don't get the crude oil you need refine and sell.

I'll have to play this game a few more times with various set-up combinations, but for now I think a rig-intensive opening strategy is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
Timotheous wrote:

This strategy actually works quite well. Going for a balance of rigs, refineries and gas stations is ideal in theory, but it can leave you vulnerable if you have bad luck and don't get the crude oil you need refine and sell.

I'll have to play this game a few more times with various set-up combinations, but for now I think a rig-intensive opening strategy is the way to go.

I won my last game with the "36 rigs" gambit, so it is effective...but it's not an automatic strategy by any stretch and does carry some risk. As mentioned above, it leaves you cash strapped if a bad event hits early. Another thing to consider is that it robs you of the ability to plan and maximize the payouts of your board. It's a good idea to lay things out so that when rows hit, they hit on all building types. Since every spot on your board can strike oil with the 36 rig strategy, your wells can either clump up causing crude gluts and droughts for you or just simply scatter haphazardly, getting in the way of building your refineries and gas stations in a predictable and productive pattern. I also think it only works if you are going first or second in turn order, because the oil wells get expensive fast and if you try this going late, you might not even be able to afford the wells that drive this strategy, since your opponents will get to buy the cheaper wells first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.