Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my current game the following situation happened:
I attacked a colony hoping to capture it. It was defended only by SYs, but since my fleet was mainly boarding ships I had a hard time hitting them. I retreated in the 3rd round after deploying my ground troops. The troops took over the planet, which destroyed the SYs.
The problem is that there was also a pipeline in that hex. The rules don't cover this situation, presumably because this is probably the only way you can get a pipeline without combat ships over an opponents colony.

My question now: does the colony count as blockaded? Can I built SYs, a base, or a research/industrial center?

The ruling we agreed on for this game is that it does not count as blockaded and I can build a center, but I can't built an SY or a base while the pipeline is there.
This seemed like a fair way to settle it quickly, but I was wondering what everybody else thinks how this situation should be treated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you can build anything you want there. The pipline ships are unarmed so I would say that they would not be able to interfere. Especially since the same ground force ability that allowed you to destroy the SYs would be able to keep the pipeline ship at bay while the building takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Wow, I can honestly say that I never encountered that situation. blush

Joseph's answer is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the situation I described is literally the only way that this can happen, so no surprise it didn't come up before.

In retrospect this is how I would interpret RAW as well; The pipeline can't blockade, therefore you can build whatever you want.

Thanks for the quick answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't the Shipyards have to be destroyed BEFORE you can land troops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zerstorer88 wrote:
Don't the Shipyards have to be destroyed BEFORE you can land troops?
No, the last paragraph of rule 14.9 talks about this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.