Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » General

Subject: Playing solo with a lone hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen to try this game out solo, and would prefer using just one hero as I don't generally care for keeping track of multiple characters when playing solitaire.

I thought I'd ask those with more AToE experience for their opinions regarding balancing a lone hero solo game. Do you use the standard or co-op shadow track? Do you use the co-op mystery phase chart? If so, basic or advanced? Any other advice/opinions would be welcome, too.

Thanks!



Edit: I'm aware of the official lone hero rules that come with Something Wicked, but I still want to ask you guys what you've found to be the "best" way to play it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Egads.

I tried to solo this as the Shadow vs. the Bog Fiend one time, using the standard shadow track and the advanced mystery chart. The game was brutal.

Shadowbrook used to be so dry, too.



I suggest going with the basic mystery chart.


... And a hero that can safely go into town!

*shudder*
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the feedback. I only have the base game, so no bog fiend for me. I was thinking of trying the spectral horseman, and picking a random lone hero.

Ok, so that seems to be a vote for using the competitive shadow track. How did you play Elder secrets? Were you using the Too many Secrets rule? Also, I read somewhere in the forums that some people reveal elder secrets when the elder is killed...would you recommend that?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I dealt with the Elder secrets as I would in a co-op game - with the 'too many secrets' rule in place.

I tried to maintain the mystery on their deaths. I revealed the 'dead' elder's secrets at the start of the Showdown. If evil, they faked their own death.

Hope this helps. The game can be a lot of fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
The only time I've played I played solo, using the rules in Something Wicked as summarised by Universal Head. At that stage I didn't own the expansion. It worked great. Touch of Evil is now on my 10 Games, 10 Plays challenge. I will be playing exclusively solo using those rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Honestly I'd just go with 2 heroes. The game works better (things like werewolf bite are pointless with only 1 hero) and it's easy enough to do. Certain villans are impossible with only 1 hero.
If you do insist on 1 hero, don't use any mystery chart,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not generally a fan of the headaches that sometimes come with multiple characters either. But most of the Flying Frog co-op games are not so fiddly with two or even three characters. Just be sure to remind yourself of each character's abilities and items often (good advice, even if you just have one character and are playing non-solo). Also, play your Event cards pretty regularly rather than waiting for the perfect moment to play them; otherwise, you'll just get so many it will be hard to keep track.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Even when playing qwith mutliple characters you only have 1 'hand' of event cards so it's not really an issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't Ichabod Crane mostly solo?
Playing solo I only ever use one hero + the basic coop mystery chart. Only use the advanced chart if you want Nightmare difficulty. zombie
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I almost always play solo with 2 characters. It's not fiddly at all. Just make sure you combine your event cards into one hand like Mr. Skeletor said. I also don't bother tracking who is "first player" -- if a mystery card comes up that affects the player who drew it, then I treat it as a tactical decision for myself (or sometimes I roll randomly).

However, the game still works fine with one hero, especially with the villains in the base set. (The expansion villains get harder.) I would recommend playing with the standard (non co-op) shadow track, but using the basic co-op mystery table. If it feels too easy after a game or two, you can upgrade to the co-op shadow track, and then to the advanced mystery table.

Another thing I like to do is play with a solo hero, and then play with a different solo hero. And then have those two heroes team up for a 2-hero game. I'll use the same villain if they lose (or if one of them loses), or move to a new villain with a difficulty upgrade if they won. Basically, you can just make up your own little campaigns, etc.


Mr Skeletor wrote:
If you do insist on 1 hero, don't use any mystery chart,


I don't suggest that. The basic table is good because it causes extra rolls on the villain's minion chart. This is a nice addition because it brings the villain into the game more. If you're not making those extra rolls every turn, you will find some games where minions are few and far between, and you can hardly even tell what villain you're facing.

jda1974 wrote:
Also, play your Event cards pretty regularly rather than waiting for the perfect moment to play them; otherwise, you'll just get so many it will be hard to keep track.


I don't really recommend that either. You'll want to save most of them for the showdown, or if you absolutely have to avoid getting KO'd. Of course, every player has their own tactics, so maybe using them more freely will work for you. I tend to hoard them so I can unleash a huge strike at the showdown, and also to make sure I survive to the second or third round.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Wasn't Ichabod Crane mostly solo?


Are you talking about the Washington Irving story? If so, Ichabod Crane was a frightened wimp, and was actually the victim of that story.

If you're talking about the Fox TV series, then that is clearly a 2-hero game, where Ichabod Crane is a heroic warrior who gets mysteriously time-shifted to the present day, and teams up with a police officer. He has no resemblence to the character in the story (although he can't be bothered to change into modern clothing, for some reason).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
Wasn't Ichabod Crane mostly solo?


Are you talking about the Washington Irving story? If so, Ichabod Crane was a frightened wimp, and was actually the victim of that story.

If you're talking about the Fox TV series, then that is clearly a 2-hero game, where Ichabod Crane is a heroic warrior who gets mysteriously time-shifted to the present day, and teams up with a police officer. He has no resemblence to the character in the story (although he can't be bothered to change into modern clothing, for some reason).


I, um, was talking about the Tim Burton movie. The TV series sounds horrific.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Solo with one Hero almost exclusively, & it works great. Co-op Shadow Track. Sometimes I use Co-Op Mystery Phase Chart, sometimes not. When I do, it's usually Basic. Advanced is brutal. Sometimes use the Showdown Chart too, or not as the mood strikes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I, um, was talking about the Tim Burton movie.


Oh, I forgot about the movie. I haven't seen it, but if Capt. Sparrow was portraying Ichabod Crane as courageous or decisive in any way, then it is nothing like the character in the story, solo or not. Off topic: is the movie any good?

Quote:
The TV series sounds horrific.


Yeah, but see, the Headless Horseman is actually one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Because, you know, they're both "horsemen". So there's that.


M00NSYLVER wrote:
Sometimes use the Showdown Chart too, or not as the mood strikes.


I use the Showdown Chart infrequently. I haven't really seen it produce an exciting ending though. It seems to add more frustration than excitement, but I haven't used it very often.

Actually, I tend to forget that I was planning to use it. I'll start a game thinking I will use it, but a session usually takes place over a couple of days. So by the time I get to the showdown, I forget to apply the chart.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
I track first player by simply putting the first player marker above the sheet who is the first player. Move it in the mystery phase. Easy.

I don't user the showdown chart. It's just randomness for the sake of randomness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
I, um, was talking about the Tim Burton movie.


Oh, I forgot about the movie. I haven't seen it, but if Capt. Sparrow was portraying Ichabod Crane as courageous or decisive in any way, then it is nothing like the character in the story, solo or not. Off topic: is the movie any good?

Quote:
The TV series sounds horrific.


Yeah, but see, the Headless Horseman is actually one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Because, you know, they're both "horsemen". So there's that.


Ugh. I think I just did a mouth sick.
Off topic cntd, if you're not burnt out on the latest string of Burton/Depp team ups (Alice, Sweeney, Chocolate Factory) Sleepy Hollow is eminently watchable, with Depp on fine form as the wimpy, fainting Ichabod, with some classic, creepy, gothic set pieces, and some good ham from Christopher Walken as the villain (pre-head loss).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
I, um, was talking about the Tim Burton movie.


Oh, I forgot about the movie. I haven't seen it, but if Capt. Sparrow was portraying Ichabod Crane as courageous or decisive in any way, then it is nothing like the character in the story, solo or not. Off topic: is the movie any good?

Quote:
The TV series sounds horrific.


Yeah, but see, the Headless Horseman is actually one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Because, you know, they're both "horsemen". So there's that.



The Tim Burton movie is almost required watching before playing AToE I agree with ninjadorg, it's eminently watchable.

The TV show isn't too bad. (I think Crane should change his clothes too.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WizardHowl wrote:
The Tim Burton movie is almost required watching before playing AToE I agree with ninjadorg, it's eminently watchable.


Thread necro!

I just wanted to add that I have now seen the movie. It was pretty good. You are definitely not kidding about "required watching". It's like FFP lifted the plot and setting straight out of that movie when creating this game. The Town Elders are clearly characters from the movie, including the reverend, magistrate, lord and lady, and even a midwife. And some are evil. Ichabod Crane himself is basically Inspector Cooke. There are murders, Tools of Science, a servant boy, a stage coach chase, the Olde Woods, a character named Katrina, and a bunch of other stuff. Half way through the movie, I told my wife "I bet there will be a scene in a windmill". Sure enough....

How did I not know about this? It's A Touch of Evil: The Movie! Anyway, while it was entertaining, it's basically World War Z when it comes to similarity with the Washington Irving story. Same title is all. And they don't know how to pronounce Hessian.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good movie - not amazing, but what it lacks in story it more than makes up for with its great visual style. I'm going to have to watch it before my next session of AToE.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
WizardHowl wrote:
The Tim Burton movie is almost required watching before playing AToE I agree with ninjadorg, it's eminently watchable.


Thread necro!

I just wanted to add that I have now seen the movie. It was pretty good. You are definitely not kidding about "required watching". It's like FFP lifted the plot and setting straight out of that movie when creating this game. The Town Elders are clearly characters from the movie, including the reverend, magistrate, lord and lady, and even a midwife. And some are evil. Ichabod Crane himself is basically Inspector Cooke. There are murders, Tools of Science, a servant boy, a stage coach chase, the Olde Woods, a character named Katrina, and a bunch of other stuff. Half way through the movie, I told my wife "I bet there will be a scene in a windmill". Sure enough....

How did I not know about this? It's A Touch of Evil: The Movie! Anyway, while it was entertaining, it's basically World War Z when it comes to similarity with the Washington Irving story. Same title is all. And they don't know how to pronounce Hessian.



I love Sleepy Hollow. Saw it in theaters when it first came out, & many times since.

Yeah, at its core ATOE is basically "Sleepy Hollow: the Game" BUT took that core inspiration and ran all kinds of other directions with it, with all the other Villains besides the Horseman, Something Wicked & The Coast, many of the other characters BESIDES Cooke, etc. all of which drew inspiration from lots of other sources into a lovely mash-up. For which I am very glad.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.