Jeff Zeitler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello, gamers. First post in the forums.

So yesterday, I was playing a 5-person game of Ticket To Ride: USA with my friends. My friend defeated us by a ton of points because he started with and/or drew into all three 20-point destination tickets (LA to NY, Vancouver to Montreal, and Seattle to NY). It's easier to see if you have the tickets in front of you, but even if you look on a map, you can see that these routes are very similar, so he was able to easily complete all three and the game wasn't even close. I am aware that there should be an element of chance with what tickets you draw into, but this was just a ridiculous thing to happen in my opinion, and I would like to remedy it if at all possible.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has tweaked the rules in their own way where the long-route tickets are dealt out first, followed by the remaining tickets, similarly to the rules in Ticket to Ride: Europe.

I would classify USA's long-route tickets (based on the edited ticket scores from the 1910 expansion) as:

- LA to NY (20)
- Seattle to NY (20)
- Vancouver to Montreal (20)
- LA to Miami (19)
- Portland to Nashville (17)
- San Francisco to Atlanta (17)
- LA to Chicago (16)

Should I exclude any of these tickets from the long-route designation? If the long-route tickets are discarded, should they be put into the game box (like in Europe) or should they be bottom-decked (as normal)? Is this idea a farce? Has this idea been discussed before in a previous thread?

I'm looking for anyone's opinion or experience with this, so please feel free to chime in however you please!

Thank you!

JZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is about synergistic tickets, so the track you build pays off multiple times. I think your friend just got very lucky.

However, I prefer TtR:Europe's stations over the original. You need to draw more tickets to get a high score, but even an synergistic draw can be turned against you in TtR.

Once I had completed a northern coast to coast route and drew more tickets. I happened to get three that all to around New Orleans. Naturally, I kept them all.

But, I couldn't possibly disguise that I was headed south, so I was blocked (somewhat unfairly by an organized alliance of players). If I were playing with Europe's stations, that blockage would have just cost me 8 or 12 points. As it was, +25 points became -25 points, a 50 point swing. Too harsh!

And the effect on the game is very bad: everyone is afraid to commit to new tickets since even a single ticket blocked is a 15 to 40 point swing. So my suggestion is to play all TtR games with Europe's station rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Beck
United Kingdom
Addlestone
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it might be fun to give it a try but one of the charms of TtR for me is the way each board gives you a slightly different game. The original is the simplest but does have a greater amount of luck as you showed, that makes it a good one for people to play on their first game or two. Europe and the other extra maps each add different twists to the game making it feel different enough whilst still being the same basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But, I couldn't possibly disguise that I was headed south, so I was blocked (somewhat unfairly by an organized alliance of players). If I were playing with Europe's stations, that blockage would have just cost me 8 or 12 points. As it was, +25 points became -25 points, a 50 point swing. Too harsh!

I think this is an important point.

I think different groups each have their own ethos when they play TTR. This guy's routes were all in one spot, so he probably could have been blocked.

If you are all just playing to complete your tickets, then something like this can happen. TTR, though, can be a pretty vicious game. Having all your tickets in one geographic region can be a handicap if the ethos is very competitive.

On a personal level, I'm always afraid of making changes to a game based on an anomaly. Something like this probably won't happen too often and I think the changes would be too much for me.

Give it a shot though...if it works for you and your group, that is all that matters.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.