Small World 2» Forums » General

Subject: Is it just me or is the 48 hour timer on iPad far too short? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all really. I love Small World, own the physical game too of course. I was so excited to play it on the iPad, but I have literally never been able to finish a game of more than two players. Someone always forgets to take their turn (never me, of course whistle).

And I'd say about a third of my 2P games go the same way.

Plus, I believe it doesn't notify you if someone challenges you to a game, right?

Is there any indication that these might be patched and improved? It pretty much ruins the app for me. I thought this would be played as much as Ascension has been, but instead I've been failing to get much online play going at all.

Sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
The title says it all really. I love Small World, own the physical game too of course. I was so excited to play it on the iPad, but I have literally never been able to finish a game of more than two players. Someone always forgets to take their turn (never me, of course whistle).

Plus, I believe it doesn't notify you if someone challenges you to a game, right?

Is there any indication that these might be patched and improved? It pretty much ruins the app for me. I thought this would be played as much as Ascension has been, but instead I've been failing to get much online play going at all.

Sad.
I'm not a huge fan of any in-game timer for async games. Even PlayDek, with the 28 day Ascension timer, has caused a few games to be forfeited. I'd much prefer a simple "If (X time) goes by and no turn has been taken, the game ends" kind of timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Buttonmen website, if someone didn't take a turn for two weeks, you had the option of forcing them to concede. SW could do that, and give you a limit to how many games you could have running at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Small World for iPad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:

Sad.

The game does tell you that you've been invited to play, as long as you have that turned on! DoW hasn't said if they will be changing the time limits but now that all the versions are out they might have time to look into things like this.

poshniallo wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of any in-game timer for async games. Even PlayDek, with the 28 day Ascension timer, has caused a few games to be forfeited. I'd much prefer a simple "If (X time) goes by and no turn has been taken, the game ends" kind of timer.

I might be missing something, but this game timer is exactly like what you describe...If a player doesn't take their turn in 48 hours the game ends. Each player gets that 48 hour timer, so if I take my turn...you have 48 hours to take yours. Once you've taken your turn, I have 48 hours to take my turn. How is this different from what you're talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:

I might be missing something, but this game timer is exactly like what you describe...If a player doesn't take their turn in 48 hours the game ends. Each player gets that 48 hour timer, so if I take my turn...you have 48 hours to take yours. Once you've taken your turn, I have 48 hours to take my turn. How is this different from what you're talking about?

Bit of an old thread, but just thought I'd chime in and say that amazingly I just realized this is how the timer works, lol. It never came up because I stay very on top of my games, and until recently my opponents have too.

But I recently started playing with a couple of family members who only check in a couple times a week, so sadly, with the current timer option, playing with them isn't going to work.

Timers are a very important option, but I definitely think a player should have more control over how their games run. Options for a very long timer, and most certainly no timer at all if they desired, would be a very welcome addition.

(as far as the confusion of exactly how the timer works, other asynch games I play give you X number of hours/days to take ALL of your moves... so the timer only runs while it's waiting for you to take your move, and never resets. I actually prefer the way DoW does it, but at least a 7 day timer would be preferable for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.