Subject: Rich space adventure games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Looking for a space adventure game in the vein of Runebound in space, or Roger Wilco (SpaceQuest). Character driven/advancement...less space economy / warp speed more exploring alien planets and creatures....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several that may fit you well.

Eclipse - This is the one you will receive the most reccomendations on this thread because it is very popular. It is a 4X game and a key component is exploration. I am not a huge fan but it is a very good game (it just reminds me of space Agricola with battles).

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - This is a HUGE game, I have no reccomendation for this since I have never played it, the very long play times have always scared me off. I do need to give it a try as I have heard it is remarkable.

Rex: Final Days of an Empire - this is my personal reccomendation since I really like this game. It is a area control, slight economic with some diplomacy and some war game feel. This is set in the Twilight Imperium universe (so the characters and setting are very rich) but it takes less time for an entire game than TI3 does so that is a winner for me! It is also an inexpensive reskin of the Dune boardgame which is a highly regarded game in it's own right.

Merchant of Venus - I have only played this once and it is more of a pick up and deliver than an exploration but it is a good enough game that I would never not play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eldavicho wrote:
Looking for a space adventure game in the vein of Runebound in space, or Roger Wilco (SpaceQuest). Character driven/advancement...less space economy / warp speed more exploring alien planets and creatures....

As far as I know, none exist. The closest I could think of are Gears of War: The Board Game or Star Wars: The Card Game.

In January, Chaosmos will go up on Kickstarter, which is a strategy game that often has the feel of a space adventure game and can be compared to a "cosmic treasure hunt". Except the goal isn't just to find the artifact, but be holding it when the turn timer runs out, leading to many different strategies and player interactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at Firefly: The Game or Xia: Legends of a Drift System. (Xia isn't out yet, though.)

Free Trader is a print and play that might fit what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires of the Void is interesting in that the planets you conquer give you unique tech and abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
What you want is Relic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Phantom League this is Merchant Marauders in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
"...less space economy / warp speed more exploring alien planets and creatures" doesn't sound like any of the games already suggested, here.

The closest I can think of is an older mini-game from SPI, called Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora. You control a Biologic Survey Mission ship, travel to different planets, and using the assets you have on your ship (crew, robots, scanners, etc.), attempt to identify and safely capture indigenous lifeforms on those planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.