kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Who dares disturb the Hobnob Goblin?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a Geeklist that includes a step-by-step guide for people who use different browsers. Each browser has its own block of 5 or 6 items in the geeklist, and on the last item I include a link so the reader can click to be taken (past parts of the tutorial that are irrelevant to them) down to the next step of the tutorial, which is the same no matter what browser people are using.

For instance, the person is reading item #19 of my geeklist and sees this text:

kataclysm wrote:
After that, you can continue on to the rest of the tutorial. Everything from this point is non- browser-specific.

But instead of just skipping the person down to item #25, which is on the same page, the behavior that I have observed is that the whole page reloads in a new tab. This reloading (whether new tab or same tab) is a problem because the geeklist is incredibly image-intensive.

So is there a different way of formatting the link such that people are simply skipped down to the geeklist item (which, after all, has already loaded in their browsers)?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Just in case it looks like I'm crying for help at the drop of a hat, I really did search for a solution before asking here.

I searched for a long freaking time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works the way it works. However, I external links open a new tab (your browser link does so for me) so the first thing is to use a Geek Link. It acts just like URL, except you use Insert Geek Link and pull down to Custom Link. Instead of:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165200/item/2920691#item2920691

use:

/geeklist/165200/item/2920691#item2920691

You might also try:

#item2920691

I haven't tried this, but give it a shot. This may be your best chance.

Also, Insert Geek Link has a specific GeekList Item selection, which you would feed 2920691 -- that gives BGG the maximum amount of information, still I expect it will just convert to acting like a Custom Link. Keep in mind that these specific link numbers are not unique across BGG, so making the wrong pick on the Insert Geek Link list can lead to unpredictable results. The key is to look at the words in the BGG URL:

/geeklist/165200/item/2920691#item2920691

Pro tip: the underlined number can be selected with a double-click; the number at the end, not so much. (Same number.)

Note that the purpose of Custom Links is to keep the user in whichever of BGG, VGG, or RPGG he started in. (He might not be logged in to all of them.)

All the things we discussed in the other thread should work no matter what kind of link you use. The problem before was that the BGG image was putting in a link to the image's BGG home. You recall the difference between the image's logical home and actual storage address, I'm sure.

Let me know what happens. I'm comparatively ignorant about GLs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Well, it's unfortunate to hear that there probably isn't a way to do what I'm trying to do.

I'm pretty sure I'm making them internal links, since I'm going up to Insert Geek Link > Geeklist Item, so that the actual code just looks like

[listitem=2920953]the rest of the tutorial[/listitem]

I thought those were internal--maybe I'm mistaken, and "inserted using Geek Link tool option specific to BGG site" ≠ "automatically internal."

In either case, making them internal will make them more polite to VGG / RPG users, but I still need to find a way to keep readers of my Geeklist from having to load all those pictures so many times. I'll try to find out if there's a way to limit the number of Geeklist items in a list; that way, when I link to a particular item, I can just make sure that item is at the top of that page of the Geeklist so people will only have to load what they already would have, and only once.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem is that the pages are dynamically generated, and perhaps need different advertising for each view. Looking at the HTML source, the crucial difficulty is that #item2920691 isn't actually an HTML label, just a link into the GeekList Item darabase. It just looks like a label. Sorry.

You might consider just cutting and pasting to replicate the common instructions rather than trying to do it through linking. Or, you could have a master GL (or forum message) and link to a different GL for each browser. Either will allow the reader to go up and down through the instructions without page changes; that might make it easier to use. People will make mistakes and need to backtrack.

Of course, these mean you'll have to be careful to propagate any changes through each set of instructions.

Good luck with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Walt's right, a geeklist per browser and a metalist is probably the simplest solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally a metalist would be fine, but the geeklist is a tutorial where the readers will be following some fairly complicated instructions that are specific to one of five situations, and I don't want to heap upon them the added difficulty of having to switch between geeklists.

I dealt with the problem by applying the effective if inelegant solution of padding each page with items that wouldn't load any pictures (every item was a blank Geeklist I made for the purpose). Took a long time but got the job done.

Thank you for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.