Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this question bubbling for a while, but I've only just thought to ask it here.
I'm a relatively young gamer (high school- no more!) and I'm working on my own collection of games (currently at 21 games it looks like). However, I have a problem. I have a very limited pool of people I game with: my dad and a couple of my friends. My dad seems to like more strategic, lightweight games (Pandemic, Dominion, he even considers Agricola relatively lightweight). My friends, on the other hand, love theme-dripping games with a lot of depth and action (Merchants and Marauders, Eclipse). I, on the other hand, personally like heavy strategy games (Le Havre, Power Grid-ish, not enough opportunities to play Twilight Struggle or Puerto Rico yet), although I'll generally play anything. I'm also trying to get shorter games with more theme for when I don't feel like doing something huge.
How do I cater to obviously different tastes without running out my wallet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
How do I cater to obviously different tastes without running out my wallet?

Replay games you already own and enjoy.

Don't feel obliged to be the sole purchaser of games among the people you play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
consider looking for groups of local gamers to,

a) meet new players and expand your player base
b) try new games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You all like strategy games, where's the problem?? The difference between your tastes seem to be so slight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Buy the games that best suit YOUR tastes. Let those who
want different types buy to their tastes. Of course, part of
your tastes has to include likelihood to play something, so
you may want things that bridge the gaps, but I wouldn't work
too hard at trying to please others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice guys! But, I have a couple of clarifications.
1. I do buy games online- but they're still not very cheap.
2. I'm the only one of the aforementioned people that really like games. None of them would actually get a game for themselves.
3. The "likes" and "dislikes" are kinda extreme; my friends hate Pandemic, Le Havre, and Dominion, and my dad really doesn't like Merchants and Marauders, Eclipse, or Twilight Struggle.
4. If my friends don't like a game, there isn't much I can do to get it played. They'll just vote to play video games instead. Also, my dad has a limited schedule due to work (making him like shorter games) and, as a side note, we can't play games meant for more than 2 people.
I am looking into joining a local gaming group, so I'm not sure how that will affect my problem. Part of my problem has been complete lack of access to other gamers, but that might change.
I've gotten 5 very good answers to my problem, but I'm not sure if I can put them into practice due to my situation. Ugh. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Miller4h9 wrote:

2. I'm the only one of the aforementioned people that really like games. None of them would actually get a game for themselves.

4. If my friends don't like a game, there isn't much I can do to get it played.

Really sounds like they're not terribly into gaming.

Quote:
I am looking into joining a local gaming group, so I'm not sure how that will affect my problem. Part of my problem has been complete lack of access to other gamers, but that might change.

If that works out, it's probably a better solution than trying to
convince your non-gaming friends to do something they just ain't that
into. Chances are, what you already own is enough to satisfy whatever
real desires they have for this pastime. Probably the same goes for
your father. And, you might be able to get some overlap - wherein you
can introduce (new) gaming group friends into your current circle, bringing
more options into the mix.

Another option is to learn to solo games. I find this brings out the real
pleasure of the games themselves. It fails utterly in regards to gaming
as a social activity - but delineates what one is looking for.

One more though - Twilight Struggle is not a terribly 'heavy' game.
I'd say the decisions aren't too much more complex than those in Pandemic.
The rules are longer, but can be explained pretty easily, once you've
gotten some familiarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys! But, I have a couple of clarifications.
1. I do buy games online- but they're still not very cheap.
3. The "likes" and "dislikes" are kinda extreme; my friends hate Pandemic, Le Havre, and Dominion, and my dad really doesn't like Merchants and Marauders, Eclipse, or Twilight Struggle.
4. If my friends don't like a game, there isn't much I can do to get it played. They'll just vote to play video games instead. Also, my dad has a limited schedule due to work (making him like shorter games) and, as a side note, we can't play games meant for more than 2 people.
I've gotten 5 very good answers to my problem, but I'm not sure if I can put them into practice due to my situation. Ugh. shake

Maybe the way to go is either middle of the road, thrift, or even Print and play.

I take it your father doesn't care one way or the other about theme, and prefers gameplay over aesthetics? So if you can find a strategy game that's theme heavy you may be on to a winner. To my mind maybe Zombicide (which I feel plays like a modern day Space Hulk)? It's not cheap, but it is worth it and new (free) material gets released frequently. Also if you don't like it, you'll have little to no problem selling it on, as it's still quite popular.

I've had some amazing finds in thrift stores (£2.49 for a mint edition copy of Ticket to Ride: Europe), so it's option that doesn't hurt to check out.

Then there's always print and play is money becomes too much of an issue (most of them are free), and I can highly recommend "Good Little Games". Some excellent material there!

Hope that helps you some. :0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
The actual answer here does not cost money, just time, effort and compassion: Make more friends. Preferably gamer friend, but really any friends who are willing to try things because you are into them can be just as good here. That way you don't have to meet everyone's preferences at once and will be able to play different games with different subsets of your friends.

If you have friends who also like to play games, then at least some of those friends will have their own collections of games, and those are games you can play without having to buy them yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
use a meetup website and join a gaming group. After meeting enough people you'll probably find some players that enjoy the games you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.