Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was playing the tutorial out of the playbook for single player, and I noticed that the very first thing the Coalition player does in the walkthrough is Surge and then Train.

This confused me, because I was working with the understanding that you had to do your operation first, followed by a special activity (if able). Is that not true? Can you do them in any order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it for the first time today and had the same question. See the bullet under 4.1. "A faction may execute its special activity at any one time immediately before, during or immediately after its operation"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that was quick. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, with a caveat -- note that some of the special activities (as noted on the player aid sheet) can only be done in areas where an op was performed. So, in general that is true, but keep in mind if you do an op after a special activity that you may somewhat restrict your choice. (That is, you may have to do an op in the area you also did a special activity in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

Not only can you do the Special Activity before and after, but also don't forget you can do a Special Activity during the execution of a chosen OP. I've asked for a rules clarification from Volko, but based on an illustration of a Rally-Extort chain combo in the AA Playbook, I've suggested a potential mega Sweep-Airlift combo for the Coalition that relies upon the "during" feature of the Special Activity where you can essentially Sweep with the same Coalition Troops (including picking up additional Coalition Troops and even some Government Troops) in 3 different spaces by "hopping" via an 2-part Airlift (still technically treated as "at a single point" during the Sweep Ops). Last night in a 1-player game, I executed this mega Sweep-Airlift combo for a Coalition turn with eventually devastating effects on the Taliban (10-11 Guerillas, 3-4 Bases eventually "killed"), plus a couple of Warlord Guerillas that were in the way as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The clarification (sorry for the delay!) was that Special Activities can only occur at one point during (or immediately before or after) an Operation (4.1 bullet). So no triple duty by Operating forces, but double duty using Air Lift or Transport, yes. vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.