U-201, Type VIIC, KPTLT Greim
War patrol # 4: THE MED
Scorecard: 8 Ships, 88,400 BRT
La Spezia, IT: War with Russia! Those Panzer Junge are really stealing the show.
Orders from Kerneval: interdict shipping in support of General Rommel’s Afrika Korps
Transit Box 1: calm and warm Mediterranean seas as we begin our patrol
Transit Box 2: nothing to report except for a surprise birthday cake for Herr Kaleun by Matrosengefrieter Willi Thomsen, our Smutje (cook)
Med Box 1: Two ships with an Escort sighted! A Tanker and a Lg Freighter.
• Night, Surface action at Medium Range: G7a x 2 at the 10,000 t Tanker (Regent Tiger) = HIT x 2 = SUNK; G7a x 2 vs. the 8,700 t Freighter (Port Hardy), HIT = DUD and a MISS
• DETECTION #1: Escort = GREEN: UNDETECTED
• We pull away, reload the forward tubes, but lose the Freighter in a sudden Fog out of nowhere (FOLLOWING ATTEMPT: unsuccessful)
Med Box 2: no contact, empty seas
Med Box 3: surprisingly, no targets in this bathtub of an ocean
Med Box 4: Alarm, Britisher Swordfish out of the sun; Crash Dive: SUCCESSFUL
Med Box 5: Smoke on the horizon; we give chase = Small Freighter at 4,700 t, no escort
• Attack: Day, Submerged, Close Range : Tubes 1 and 3 (G7a and G7e) Los! = HIT= Damage x 1 and Miss (electric eel, porpoised and missed !). SURFACE, Battle GUN action! = GUN x 2 = HIT = Damage x 2 = SUNK (Dutch Steamer Woensdrecht sinks by the stern. Lifeboats away; we pass some canned herring and provide them with a bearing towards Malta)
Transit Box: low on fuel; on the way back to port
Transit Box (home): safe return
REFIT: one month
Scorecard: Ships x 2, 14,700 (new total: 10 Ships, 103,100)
Promotion Check (12 months of operational combat tour: Successful)
Telegram from Admiral Dönitz: ‘Congratulations! Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes has been approved for the new Korvettenkapitän!’
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
Yet again, nice AAR!
I'm no solitaire player, yet I may truly give this game a thought.
I write because I have to pass through La Spezia when I visit my parents, it feels strange to think of it as a one time u-boot base!
One Decoration !
Best of luck winning the Oak Leaves !
If you continue as a star skipper Doenitz might transfer you to a new U-Boat in the Atlantic, where your chances of survival are better.
- Last edited Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:37 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:34 pm
Great reports, keep them coming! I can't wait to get this game. Congratulations on the promotion, and give those gunners an extra portion of bier!