Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

1. I just won as Spain (third game) with the Gunpowder Plot. I found the victory somewhat cheap as I found that there is little England can do about it. Mary Queen of Scots was alive in Scotland, giving me three dice, I played a 5 CP, had an informant and Cryptography, giving me 11 dice, without any Jesuits or troops. I very luckily got 6 hits to his 2, winning the game. I just found there isn't much England can to about it. They get their five dice, but hardly any other modifiers. Any thoughts?

2. How do you place Jesuits and what exactly do they do? I was very confused as they never (I much as I could see without an index) explicitly mention this in the rules.

3. England conquers all of Scotland. Do they capture Mary Queen of Scots? When the Scottish Lords Rebelled, the French won. Does Edinburgh flip back to them? I would hope not, since England went to the trouble of conquering Scotland.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is Walsingham when you need him? From T3 England should always keep him in reserve just to stop this sort of thing.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cs9804 wrote:
Mary Queen of Scots was alive in Scotland, giving me three dice, I played a 5 CP, had an informant and Cryptography, giving me 11 dice, without any Jesuits or troops. I very luckily got 6 hits to his 2, winning the game. I just found there isn't much England can to about it. They get their five dice, but hardly any other modifiers. Any thoughts?
In a situation like this where Spain is about to get 11 dice, England should definitely have played Walsingham defensively.

cs9804 wrote:
2. How do you place Jesuits and what exactly do they do? I was very confused as they never (I much as I could see without an index) explicitly mention this in the rules.
They are added with the "Plant Operative" action (19.2). They add dice to catholic rebellion and function as catholic units in conversions. (Hint: download the rules and use CTRL+F. Beats any index.)

cs9804 wrote:
3. England conquers all of Scotland. Do they capture Mary Queen of Scots? When the Scottish Lords Rebelled, the French won. Does Edinburgh flip back to them? I would hope not, since England went to the trouble of conquering Scotland.
No, England can't capture Mary by conquering Scotland. Mary is captured when she is betrayed by the Scottish, that is, when England or Protestants win the diplomatic status check.
Yes, Edinburgh goes back to France. When the Scottish Lords rebel, they kick everyone out, including the English, and then decide who they ally with, in this case the French. (Note that this is a special effect of the Scottish Lords Rebel card. If the diplomatic check had been triggered by Eloquent Ambassador and the French had won, then the English would have stayed. Also, the text on the Scottish Lords Rebel card has gone through a change which I think was important here, so you might want to look up the new wording if you haven't yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.