United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with a Haas Bioroid deck that is meant to use huge ice early on to slow the runner. It then uses some cheap support ICE (like chum and sensei) to make it downright punishing to run without multiple breakers (or an Atman, I guess).

However, the deck breaks down if the game goes too long.

What do you think?

(Apologies for just a list without links to cards)

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Agenda (11)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x3
Project Wotan (Creation and Control #6) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus #51) x2

Asset (9)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3
Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x3
Private Contracts (Cyber Exodus #59) x3

ICE (21)
Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x2
Heimdall 2.0 (Creation and Control #15) x2
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x2
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x2
Wotan (Second Thoughts #30) x2
Sensei (Trace Amount #34) x3 ■
Chum (Core #75) x2 ■
Ichi 2.0 (Creation and Control #17) x2
Enigma (Core #111) x2
Wall of Static (Core #113) x2

Operation (6)
Bioroid Efficiency Research (Creation and Control #13) x3
Oversight AI (A Study in Static #79) x3 ■■

Upgrade (6)
Awakening Center (Creation and Control #21) x3
Tyr's Hand (Creation and Control #22) x3

Total Cards: (53)
Total Agenda Points: 22
Influence Used: 11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
Austria
flag msg tools
I like the idea and in fact my HB deck uses some of these concepts, but with a different focus.

Some details however make me slightly nervous:

*Only Asset Economy - that's kinda risky in case you ever end up R&D locked and/or the runner has enough money to consistently trash them... Also Hedge Fund is too good a card to not include (maybe even Green Level Clearance)

*Big Ice and Accelerated Beta Test synergize really well, make sure to include Jackson Howard so that you can actually trigger ABT's effect!

*53 cards are suboptimal - try to either go to 54 or cut down to 49. Tyr's Hand or Awakening Center could probably do with fewer copies each.

*You only use 11 influence... maybe 2 caduceus would be a good splash?

On another note since I'm interested in this kind of deck: Did you test the deck yet? How does it play? Is the heavy investment to lock out runners early worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
You have some inexpensive ICE but it is all support ICE, other than the x4 Static/Enigma, which are so diluted as to never be drawn early.

Without the cheap ICE to see you through the first few turns, all you will be doing is drawing cards, trying to put your combinations together, maybe setting up one power ICE on one of your centrals, while the others get pounded for Datasucker tokens, Desperado money and Agendas.

You are trying so desperately to Rez a Janus in someone's face that in the time it takes to draw and install the Awakening Center, draw and host the Janus, the Runner will be in an amazing situation economically, especially if they are running Desperado or Datasucker.

Meanwhile, all this "support ice" you think is cheap is sitting in your hand not doing anything waiting for your other combo pieces to come together. With no ICE with a cost 3 or less to protect you, you're going to get savaged.

Also, your essentially "all Bioroid" ice suite is completely hosed by E3 Feedback Implants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Eijolend wrote:
On another note since I'm interested in this kind of deck: Did you test the deck yet? How does it play? Is the heavy investment to lock out runners early worth it?

This deck will not lock out runners early.

There are 9 combo piece cards the deck is entirely built around. x3 Oversight AI, x3 Bioroid Efficiency Research and x3 Awakening Center. The chances of drawing more than one of these in your initial 6 card hand in a 49 card deck is something like 20%. The chance of drawing even just 1 of these in opening hand is only a 40%. Even when you factor in aggressive mulliganing, the odds of starting with enough of these "free rez" cards to protect multiple servers is just terrible.

Since every piece of ICE other than 4 is terribly expensive and can be clicked through, there is pretty much a statistical guarantee that the runner will be able to get in early, worst case scenario by spending some clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Eijolend wrote:
I like the idea and in fact my HB deck uses some of these concepts, but with a different focus.

Some details however make me slightly nervous:

*Only Asset Economy - that's kinda risky in case you ever end up R&D locked and/or the runner has enough money to consistently trash them... Also Hedge Fund is too good a card to not include (maybe even Green Level Clearance)

*Big Ice and Accelerated Beta Test synergize really well, make sure to include Jackson Howard so that you can actually trigger ABT's effect!

*53 cards are suboptimal - try to either go to 54 or cut down to 49. Tyr's Hand or Awakening Center could probably do with fewer copies each.

*You only use 11 influence... maybe 2 caduceus would be a good splash?

I've played 6 games now with the deck. I have won 5 of them. I also won all my corp games in a recent tournament. The deck works.

There's one change I'd make: I would take out the 3 Awakening Centers. Then, I would either replace them with Jackson Howards/Hedge Funds, or I would take out one false lead and make the deck 49. I only used the awakening center once in 6 games (and I lost that one game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
striatic wrote:
Eijolend wrote:

This deck will not lock out runners early.

There are 9 combo piece cards the deck is entirely built around. x3 Oversight AI, x3 Bioroid Efficiency Research and x3 Awakening Center. The chances of drawing more than one of these in your initial 6 card hand in a 49 card deck is something like 20%. The chance of drawing even just 1 of these in opening hand is only a 40%. Even when you factor in aggressive mulliganing, the odds of starting with enough of these "free rez" cards to protect multiple servers is just terrible.

Since every piece of ICE other than 4 is terribly expensive and can be clicked through, there is pretty much a statistical guarantee that the runner will be able to get in early, worst case scenario by spending some clicks.

Now that I've played it, I can say that I've locked out the runner early in almost every game. It's always either a fast wall/enigma to buy time or a cheap-rezzed big ice. Sensei helps to support keeping my bioroids alive, although admittedly, Chum has not seen any use in the last 4 games.

Plus, I just came in 2nd place in the local tournament. Would have probably been first if I hadn't lost my 2nd runner game.

Thanks for the thoughts, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Johnson
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I think the challenge to building a deck like this is having enough cheap early-game run punishment ice while still being able to draw and rez the big burly ones reasonably quickly. Here's what I've been using:

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core Set)

Agenda (9)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
1x Director Haas' Pet Project (Creation and Control)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
2x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (5)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
2x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)

Upgrade (3)
1x Awakening Center (Creation and Control)
2x Tyr's Hand (Creation and Control)

Operation (12)
3x Bioroid Efficiency Research (Creation and Control)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Oversight AI (A Study in Static) ••••• •
3x Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control)

Barrier (8)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
3x Heimdall 2.0 (Creation and Control)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set) ••

Code Gate (2)
2x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••••

Sentry (8)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Ichi 2.0 (Creation and Control)
2x Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead)
2x Rototurret (Core Set)

ICE (2)
2x Howler (Creation and Control)

Some differences: I use Jackson because I think he's a huge benefit to this deck. He can be used as a draw engine to get the right combos in play, and he removes the disadvantages to Accelerated Beta Test, making it one of the best cards in the deck. I'm also using Rototurret, Ice Wall, and Eli in addition to Enigma. I actually had Sensei in my first version of this deck, but I almost never got any use out of it. I've done really well with this deck, but I don't play competitively or anything. Have you had any issues with your deck's economy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocken wrote:
I think the challenge to building a deck like this is having enough cheap early-game run punishment ice while still being able to draw and rez the big burly ones reasonably quickly. Here's what I've been using:

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core Set)

Agenda (9)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
1x Director Haas' Pet Project (Creation and Control)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
2x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (5)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
2x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)

Upgrade (3)
1x Awakening Center (Creation and Control)
2x Tyr's Hand (Creation and Control)

Operation (12)
3x Bioroid Efficiency Research (Creation and Control)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Oversight AI (A Study in Static) ••••• •
3x Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control)

Barrier (8)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
3x Heimdall 2.0 (Creation and Control)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set) ••

Code Gate (2)
2x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••••

Sentry (8)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Ichi 2.0 (Creation and Control)
2x Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead)
2x Rototurret (Core Set)

ICE (2)
2x Howler (Creation and Control)

Some differences: I use Jackson because I think he's a huge benefit to this deck. He can be used as a draw engine to get the right combos in play, and he removes the disadvantages to Accelerated Beta Test, making it one of the best cards in the deck. I'm also using Rototurret, Ice Wall, and Eli in addition to Enigma. I actually had Sensei in my first version of this deck, but I almost never got any use out of it. I've done really well with this deck, but I don't play competitively or anything. Have you had any issues with your deck's economy?

I like it! Oh, and I actually did go ahead and reduce the above to 49 cards by taking out one False Lead and 3 Awakening Centers. Maybe I should take a few bigger ICE out and Jackson Howard it too...focusing on a couple heavy hitters may be better.

However, I cannot overemphasize how much of an asset the Sensei ICE has been. Surprisingly, my Chums haven't done much, but the Senseis have made the cheap rezzed big ice much harder to get rid of early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.