Subject: Advance after combat against an headquarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Thibault
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation : a stack with an HQ and an combat unit is attacked and the attacker roll a 0/2 (no trench). I understand this :
- the HQ can't take the loss, so only the combat unit is eliminated
- the hex is not empty, so the attacker can't advance after combat
Am I right ?

The rules are :
15.63 (HQ) : "...can never be taken to satisfy loss points."
10.71 (Advance after combat) : "Whenever a defending hex is completely vacated as a result of combat..."

but :
15.63 (HQ) : "...either through movement or advance after combat"

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But see also 15.63
Advance after combat eliminate the HQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Thibault
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the only way to kill an HQ during an advance after combat is the second hex of the shock troop's two hexes advance.

Any opinion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why?
For the rule 15.63 there are no difference between an advance of one or two hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Thibault
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because rule 10.71 : no advance if the hex is not empty

10.71 (Advance after combat) : "Whenever a defending hex is completely vacated as a result of combat..."

My understanding is if the hex of combat is emptied, the attacker can advance and the shock-troop can kill an HQ during the second hex advance... ?? ...

I think the rule 10.71 and 15.63 are opposing rules, so this topic !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also post your Question on Consimworld, but I'm sure about my answer (15.63 take precedence on 10.71).
Surely this system, made up with few basic rules and an exaggerated amount of exception does not help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bünger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules of the game are full of sloppy wordings. 10.71 is one of them.

The whole concept of HQs in TGWiE is that they are no obstacle to combat units moving through them. HQs don’t represent any fighting troop, but a logistic effort.

A clearer wording of rule 10.71 as intended would be: “Whenever a defending hex is completely vacated of combat units and fortifications as a result of combat, ...”

Ted Raicer answered this some time ago on Consimworld (post 2115):

Q: “I attack Belgrade at 6-1 odds, which shifts three to the left, for final odds of 3-1. There are two Serbian units in Belgrade, and the Serbian HQ. The Austirans roll a three, which calls for a 1/2 result. Does Belgrade fall? Or does the presence of the HQ, or the imaginary fortress unit with its strength of two, keep Belgrade from falling?”

A: “The HQ is irrelevant, but you'd need to inflict 3 steps to take the city-two for the units, and one for fort garrison.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.