Hide
6 Posts

HeroClix» Forums » General

Subject: Starting with Heroclix DC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gonzalo MTG
msg tools
Hi people, I recently purchased some Heroclix to try this game, but I don't know if the sets I bought are compatible between them.

I got some Hypertime starters, some Batman Alpha boosters, and the War of the light and Darkest night starters.

My first discovery was that the Hypertime sets didn't come with any cards, so after a brief research I read that they are old sets and don't use cards, the habilities are determined by the color in the stat numbers. So now i'm concerned that they won't mix with the others sets, or none of them mix, and wasted my money.

Also, I readed about different types of rules, golden age, modern, and I'm confused what should I use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're going to take part in the competitive scene, just play whatever figs you like. That's what I do with my clix, I have stuff from the Infinity Challenge set (first set) as well as from many later sets. Of course, those earlier figs generally have a glass jaw (they drop off quickly after their first click).

Even figs that come with cards, many times it just has a flavourful name for an ability that does just what the PAC ability does (someone has Quake ability, it's just named for what the character does in comics).

Rules though, should download the latest rules + PAC (2013 version):

http://heroclix.com/downloads/heroclix-rules/#axzz2kRDLNoBS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The older figures are compatable , they are just not very competitive compared to the newer figures who have much better stats then the older figs.
If you plan on playing tournaments, talk to the store and find out who the Heroclix judge is. The judge should be able to explain which type of format they use. IF you are just playing home game like my group we don't limit which figures you use.

Also, go to hcrealms, the best heroclix site on the web and find out all about my favorite miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of your heroclix are older "Golden Age" clicks, some of which were made when the game first came out ten years ago. Since then, the game has changed a lot, advanced a lot, and the rules/powers have been changed.

- You'll find that the starter sets were good purchases and have some nice figures. They're fun. I don't know if the Hypertime stuff and whatnot will really be all that useful.

- Older heroclix like yours didn't really need the cards because they contain no unique information. They were just handy references. We place tokens on the card instead of placing them by the figure, for example. For the Batman Alpha figures, the cards actually contain long out-of-date inaccurate information and should be ignored altogether. With the clix you have, I would recommend not using cards at all. Modern HeroClix need the cards, because the cards contain rules unique to the particular figure. That's not the case with older sets. You can leave all the cards in the box and play just fine.

- Each of your starter sets came with a Powers and Abilities Card (PAC), which you need to play the game. That's fine if you and a friend are sharing this collection but if you are playing with other people who have their own collections, you will need the latest 2013 PAC, which can be downloaded from the WizKidz website.

- Modern Age is a tournament format that uses only HeroClix released in the last two-years. Not many people play in Modern Age, except tournaments. Golden Age is just a way of saying "anything is legal!" and all of your games will be Golden Age. This is not important information except to keep in mind you will want to avoid signing up for any Modern Age events at game stores and such.

I don't really like older clix like Hypertime and Batman Alpha, and I doubt you'll get much use out of them. The two starter sets were a good purchase. I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of these figures and get a very good feel for the game. The Blackest Night starter was the one that hooked me back into the game. I still have those figures, and enjoy the thought of Scarecrow with a yellow power ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo MTG
msg tools
Thanks a lot guys! You've been really helpful!

I'm planning to use them to play with friends just for fun, not for tournaments.

Another idea that came out of these, Can I use a modern card with this figures? I mean, I got a superman from Hypertime, but I use the card and all abilities and cost from one the card from the modern set (I know the stats are probably different, but I don't think they'll by much), and that way I'll be able to use it with the newer models.

What do you think? It's pretty far fetched or seems good enough to work?
If not, I could just use each set with it's own ruleset, but that way I could pitch Batman against Yellow Ring Scarecrow laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzalomtg1 wrote:
I'm planning to use them to play with friends just for fun, not for tournaments.

Then this should work out well.

gonzalomtg1 wrote:
Another idea that came out of these, Can I use a modern card with this figures?

If you're talking about the individual reference cards that come with some figures, then no, there's no need. If you are talking about the Powers And Abilities Card (that comes with starters or can be downloaded) then yes, you should use the latest P.A.C. possible for all of your figures.

gonzalomtg1 wrote:
I mean, I got a superman from Hypertime, but I use the card and all abilities and cost from one the card from the modern set (I know the stats are probably different, but I don't think they'll by much), and that way I'll be able to use it with the newer models.

No, using a modern Superman's reference card won't work because the card don't tell you WHEN superman gets those powers. If he has invulnerability, for example, does he have it on his first click? What about his last? Does he keep it all the way through? For the answer, you need to look at the dial on the heroclix figure, which you don't have from a modern superman. The individual cards just act as a reference (or mini P.A.C.) to remind you what the colors on the dial do.

gonzalomtg1 wrote:
If not, I could just use each set with it's own ruleset, but that way I could pitch Batman against Yellow Ring Scarecrow laugh

To be clear, you can already use your Hypertime and Batman Alpha characters with or against your power ring Scarecrow. Everything's compatible. You don't need to use each set with its own rulebook -- use the latest rulebook and P.A.C. for all of your pieces! Older information and rules should be ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.