Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glyn Hooper
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a game and two of us stayed away from corruption for the most part....the other went all in and had 9 corruption and still ended up 100 points ahead....is it possible to win without playing the corruption game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pwyll wrote:
We just played a game and two of us stayed away from corruption for the most part....the other went all in and had 9 corruption and still ended up 100 points ahead....is it possible to win without playing the corruption game?

Of course. I did it the first time playing both modules at the same time during a 2p session. However, based on the random nature of quests, intrigue, and lord cards, this isn't a for sure thing. My advice is to only take corruption if you have the ability to get rid of it through the use of intrigue cards or quest rewards. I normally don't start taking corruption unless I have a couple intrigue cards in hand to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of the Action spaces in Skullport are so good that it makes it worth it to take corruption. Getting 2 Fighters and 2 Rogues with only 1 corruption seems fantastic. I also try to snatch Quests that help me get rid of corruption. I don't think I have lost a game yet from having too much corruption but I have lost a game when I tried to stay away from it and let other players hog all the good spots in SKullport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How easy or hard it is to win without taking corruption depends a lot on how much corruption the other players have at the end and how high the track is. If only one player takes corruption then the track won't get very high so he's not losing very many points per skull, in which case the extra resources he got from the corruption spots was probably worth it. But if multiple people take a lot of corruption and the track gets high then the negative points skull won't be worth it.

Personally I've won both when I was the only person taking corruption and I've won when my opponents got into a corruption arms race and I avoided taking it because the track got too high. In fact the last time I played the other players went a little corruption crazy, it was the first time I had seen the track completely empty, the guy with the most corruption lost 72 points from his skulls! Needless to say he didn't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
Pwyll wrote:

Of course. I did it the first time playing both modules at the same time during a 2p session. However, based on the random nature of quests, intrigue, and lord cards, this isn't a for sure thing. My advice is to only take corruption if you have the ability to get rid of it through the use of intrigue cards or quest rewards. I normally don't start taking corruption unless I have a couple intrigue cards in hand to get rid of them.

..or there's at least one building out that lets you get rid of it.

How effective you can be with corruption in the game is highly dependent upon the cards and buildings available, but that's what makes this game fun, IMO.

We actually haven't bothered taking out quest cards or any other changes, we just throw everything in and go for it. Haven't really had any issues with game balance that we've noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dugman wrote:
How easy or hard it is to win without taking corruption depends a lot on how much corruption the other players have at the end and how high the track is. If only one player takes corruption then the track won't get very high so he's not losing very many points per skull, in which case the extra resources he got from the corruption spots was probably worth it. But if multiple people take a lot of corruption and the track gets high then the negative points skull won't be worth it.

That's not exactly right either though. If everyone is going to take corruption, then everyone is going to lose points so all players will be on roughly the same level.

I see corruption as an excellent way to get a quick start on things -- if you can get a plot quest or two done early for the price of a few corruption, it's almost always worth it. It's pretty rare that you don't come across ways to get rid of it later. Typically I will have a few corruption in the early game and most if it will be gone by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
dugman wrote:

That's not exactly right either though. If everyone is going to take corruption, then everyone is going to lose points so all players will be on roughly the same level.

I see corruption as an excellent way to get a quick start on things -- if you can get a plot quest or two done early for the price of a few corruption, it's almost always worth it. It's pretty rare that you don't come across ways to get rid of it later. Typically I will have a few corruption in the early game and most if it will be gone by the end.

I guess I wasn't quite clear on what I meant. I meant that if you end the game with the most corruption it's not that big a deal if you're the only one who has it because the penalty won't be too high. But if you have the most corruption at the end and other people also have some corruption, but not as much, then the track can get pretty high and each extra corruption you have over the other players can add up to a hefty penalty.

I definitely agree that corruption is a useful way to get extra resources. You just have to be prepared to get rid of as much as you can by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Dart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
[q="Robman"]
..or there's at least one building out that lets you get rid of it.

How effective you can be with corruption in the game is highly dependent upon the cards and buildings available, but that's what makes this game fun, IMO.

We actually haven't bothered taking out quest cards or any other changes, we just throw everything in and go for it. Haven't really had any issues with game balance that we've noticed.

It seems to me that the net effect of corruption is to add a big random factor to the game.

In my last game, for instance, just about everyone was using corruption. Three of us were roughly tied on points, but the winner was the one of us who got lucky draws of Intrigue cards allowing him to get rid of all his corruption, while I was only able to purge half or so, and some essentially none.

I actually had a strategy aimed at maximizing my chances (a Plot Quest that lets you play the first face down Intrigue card from the deck whenever you play one from your hand), but it only helped a little.

A side issue, by the way, is that corruption turns a bunch of Intrigue cards into "can't or don't want to play" cards ("Take one corruption then do this good thing.") Before corruption, Intrigue cards were pretty much always A Good Thing for the person playing them, but for considerations like the contents of others' taverns or how worried you are about ticking off a rival and what retaliation she might exact on you.

It's annoying if you're using a strategy that encourages you to play Intrigue cards, but the ones you've got will lose you 10 victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.