Chris Wiswell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a short essay about why designing for the tabletop is different than designing for a computer.

To begin with, perspective is a lot trickier to deal with (because you don't know what side of the table people will be on).

Also, offering brief explanations for why various board game components are so popular, i.e., cards conceal information well b/c they have two sides (it wouldn't be fun to play poker using meeples instead of cards b/c meeples have the same info from every perspective).

While working on this, I got to think I'm probably reinventing someone else's wheel, and I'm not a professional writer.

Can anyone point me to such an article?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The book "The Theory of Fun" might be useful to you.

http://www.theoryoffun.com/

The book's main focus is computer games; however, it does spend time addressing some aspects of board games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Good articles on tabletop game design vs video game desi
I think I remember Greg Costikyan writing on this topic in the past, although I don't have an exact link for you. It might well be worth scanning his website for thoughts: http://www.costik.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wiswell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy of the Koster book (theory of fun) around here somewhere- I suppose I should finish reading the darned thing. :-)

The geeklist is interestingly informative, although I might only completely agree with one of them (change the rules). Thanks for the tips, people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an article on Gama Sutra not too long ago about the game Galactic Civilizations 2. GC2 is a turn-based strategy game and in the article the designer talks a little about the differences between a turn-based computer game and a boardgame.

Here is the link to it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060405/wardell_01.shtml

Also, if you haven't heard of Galactic Civilizations 2, it's a very good game. Also, the company that puts it out is pretty cool as well.

www.galciv2.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick s
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TinMan1997 wrote:
I'm working on a short essay about why designing for the tabletop is different than designing for a computer.

To begin with, perspective is a lot trickier to deal with (because you don't know what side of the table people will be on).

Also, offering brief explanations for why various board game components are so popular, i.e., cards conceal information well b/c they have two sides (it wouldn't be fun to play poker using meeples instead of cards b/c meeples have the same info from every perspective).

You seem to be using the word "design" in the sense of "graphical design" or "usability design" instead of "game mechanics design" - is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wiswell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Hadn't realized it at the time, but that's what I'm interested in.

For example, I got all giddy when I saw how the perspective works on a Stop Thief! board (the opposite corner always looks great).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
TinMan1997 wrote:

You'll certainly want to keep this in mind:
http://www.hiptechblog.com/2006/04/02/video-multi-touch-tabl...

Is there a difference anymore? What does the future hold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.