Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nice little article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24904517

There's even a mention of Settlers of Catan in the final paragraph.

So, are there any games that would make a good spectator sport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dancing Eggs (with celebrities?)

edit. Sorry, sport. Well there is running, so in that sense it's kind of a sport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of a few:

Techno Witches
Elk Fest
PitchCar

I think this type of game could make good spectator games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:

Soccer seems to do pretty well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
pltinum wrote:

edit. Sorry, sport. Well there is running, so in that sense it's kind of a sport?

Sure it does. Chess doesn't have any physical dexterity challange to it except perhaps "pulse-twitching", which can be dangerous at times. Sports is in a broader sense of "competition" here, which is what made Chess be recognised as a sports because it can be improved by training.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
I can think of a few:

Techno Witches
Elk Fest
PitchCar

I think this type of game could make good spectator games

Pitchcar could actually work. Maybe 'Racing' games in general?

Ave ceasar, formula d?

It has to be something with no to little hidden information. Something that a general public can understand or can SEE who is doing well and who is not. That's why racing games are good. you see who is in the lead and who isn't. Maybe Tigris & Euphrates? it's pretty visual. Not much hidden information. Could be confusing for the general public, but with good commentators it might give a clear image of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
pltinum wrote:

Sure it does. Chess doesn't have any physical dexterity challange to it except perhaps "pulse-twitching", which can be dangerous at times. Sports is in a broader sense of "competition" here, which is what made Chess be recognised as a sports because it can be improved by training.

Yeah I know, I just went with the physical, since the game isn't that competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding from the article I believe a spectator game should have the following traits:
plays in a decently short and predictable time frame (football goes for about 2 hours but it's a very active thing compared to a board game) I'd say about an hour tops would be good.
rules have to be simple for everyone to follow the play (This excludes hordes of board games already. You wouldn't want to explain Arkham Horror over television).
gameplay has to be visually easy to follow. You can't have loads of cards littered with critical text like MtG. While you competitive players might know most current meta game cards on sight, your average viewer will not.
The basic strategy has to be understandable for average viewers. If you know why a certain move was legal and what it will do but have no idea WHY the player did that then it's not going to be engaging.
Should work well in a 2 party format: either 2 players or 2 teams facing each other.

Space Cadets: Dice Duel could be fun to watch. I'm not sure how suitable the game would be from a skills perspective and it would probably be hell to supervise for rules violations. But it would certainly short and visible enough.

In Switzerland Jass is a televised "sport"... But only as part of larger cultural and festive program.

Dog could work as long as you can show the hands to the players.

Coup, The Resistance or One Night Ultimate Werewolf might work in a similar way as Poker does.

I think some could carve a small niche for them selves but probably only online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Go is inherently a better game for TV than Chess. Because the stones never move around on the board, the commentators can illustrate what they think are likely to be key points, and show viewers where the players are likely to play. With Chess, the potential moves involve moving pieces around and are more likely to be disorienting.

Of course, the familiarity of the viewership with the game is more likely to be a significant factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
Steerpike wrote:

Soccer seems to do pretty well...

Ah yes... I guess that should have been board games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooker. It's hardly more active than chess, but it considered a Sport.

I don't like Sport, but I like Snooker. It's basically a boardgame with a very specific Board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Snooker. It's hardly more active than chess, but it considered a Sport.

I don't like Sport, but I like Snooker. It's basically a boardgame with a very specific Board.

I was about to say Snooker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of poker in this thread, given that this is the one non-physical game that has actually made the conversion and thrived as a spectator sport. I guess the keys to poker's success is:

1. It's simple - Everything in poker can be boiled down to 'bet', 'check', 'raise', 'call', 'fold'. There isn't anything else to the game really. It's comparatively easy to figure out what is going on at any given time.

2. It's easy to follow the game state - If you have a chip count (or can just estimate the size of piles) then you have everything you need to know about the game state. Every hand is a fresh start there is nothing you have to keep track of over time as a spectator.

3. It's exciting - Players going all-in, busting out, changing fortunes on the turn of a card makes for good viewing. Slow, methodical 'slogs' to victory are not fun to watch.

Note that these facets are also common to most other popular spectator sports. If you want to find another geeky game that would work as a spectator sport, you need to find one that can emulate the above three facets of poker. It's easy to see why most board/card games wouldn't work by noticing how they would not comply with the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! And I was about to mention Poker too!

shake

piemasteruk wrote:
1. It's simple - Everything in poker can be boiled down to 'bet', 'check', 'raise', 'call', 'fold'. There isn't anything else to the game really.

Apart from bluffing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wil Wheaton's Tabletop shows that there is a niche audience for spectating board games, provided that the focus of the show is the interaction of the personalities and not the game itself. If someone did a celebrity chess show similar to Spellslingers or Tabletop I suppose it could grab some chess fans
as viewers, but overall I think other games lend themselves better to social interaction and would make for better viewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering has tournaments streamed weekly and generally does quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool
pltinum wrote:
It has to be something with no to little hidden information.

But... what about poker tournaments?! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Gah! And I was about to mention Poker too!

shake

piemasteruk wrote:
1. It's simple - Everything in poker can be boiled down to 'bet', 'check', 'raise', 'call', 'fold'. There isn't anything else to the game really.

Apart from bluffing.

Even bluffing falls into that basic model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox Sports turned my event (The World Rock Paper Scissors Championships) into a one-hour televised special and boy did that make for awful TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about hybrid sports? Like Chess boxing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Chess is it is similar to watching two people mimic The Thinker. If the players had any sort of engaging personalities, it would go over much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I think Go

I think I'd rather watch grass grow.

As for the OP, games are for playing, not watching. i.e. not a sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem with chess and many other board games is they're hard to edit for broadcasting. That's why poker works - you don't have to show the hands where everyone folds. You don't really lose the narrative even if you skip half the hands.

In chess, you *could* edit out some the time the players are thinking, but you'd need enough time to explain to the viewers what's going on. It's hard to quickly comprehend what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From 1976 to 1982 there was a BBC2 programme "The Master Game" which was 30 minutes of chess, showing one game a week from a tournament of 8 invited players, initially all British, but later including Karpov, Korchnoi and other top players. The players added a voice over to illustrate what they were trying to do, and there was continous analysis through the game.

I found it gripping, and although the players' voice-overs were added after the game they gave a sense of how a good player thought and the occasional exclamation as they realised how they were in trouble. I still remember a final with the charming Czech GM Hort and a grand master where Hort declined a Queen exchange which cost him the game. His comment of "My mother would have been so proud, ah well" is for me a definitive comment on nearly winning a big event.

It ran for 6 series, in the last one they tried to sex it up and totally ruined the entire thing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two biggest problems for Chess is that: (1) there is a lot of downtime and downtime isn't exciting to watch; and (2) Chess moves seem dull since most people have a casual understanding of the game but do not appreciate why one particular move is optimal or suboptimal.

However, I think there are some games that would work well. As Poker has shown, bluffing games like Coup could be enjoyable to watch. Werewolf or Resistance would also be good. In fact, someone posted a pilot of a Werewolf game show that was interesting.

Some CCG/LCG finals are interesting to watch - but only if you really know what's going on. So, sort of like Chess I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.