15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cyclades or nexus ops? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, after posting help for a recommendation on the Cyclades forum, asking for advice whether or not to buy this game as mainly a 2 player game, sometimes up to 4 but rarely, people did however suggest nexus ops. I'm struggling to decide which one to buy, any advice will be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Nexus Ops but I love Cyclades. That said, I would never suggest anyone buy Cyclades to be played primarily with two players. I wouldn't play it myself with fewer than four; there are just too many other great games out there for those player counts. Good luck and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I would recommend neither as a strictly 2P game as both thrive on multiplayer conflict. If I had to choose however, I would go with Nexus Ops although it may take a little more time before fights begin proper. Other things you may want to consider:

- Cyclades is a heavier game, with more icons and card powers to learn. Auctions are also an integral part of the game.
- Cyclades is also longer, taking about 90 mins for your first game. Nexus Ops takes about 60 mins.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is better with 2.

Cyclades is better with 4.

With 3 its a wash IMO.

I owned both and traded Cyclades (kept Nexus Ops) for the fact that Cyclades didn't do well with 2. Bidding at that point becomes stupid.

Nexus Ops is a much simpler game with dice combat and strategy in the secret missions and energize cards.

I felt Cyclades combat was there but weak, bidding was there but weak, and card drafting was there....but weak. It had a whole bunch of mechanics but not one ever really shined for me. Also the game always felt very anticlimactic. It's a much prettier game though.

YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Davis
South Korea
flag msg tools
I've played Nexus Ops once (four player) and Cyclades (two player) a couple times. I enjoyed both a lot, though I can see how Cyclades is likely better for a larger group. From this imperfect comparison:

Nexus Ops is strictly fighting. Your objectives regularly change, adding and cycling through different challenges designed to encourage and reward aggressive and shifting tactics. You don't build anything in Nexus Ops (though you can grow your force), and you don't interact with your opponent within the game except for attack and defense. 3+ player games do include negotiation, but in my game it was not very interesting because camps aligned and stabilized quickly between players who did not share borders.

In Cyclades, fighting is still integral but must compete for players' attention. Attacks are easier to predict because they often must be preceded by a build-up of resources toward ships or men. There is resource building as an end-goal, not just resource mining to fuel your forces. The auctions for gods' favors adds a different form of in-game competitive interaction. I found that I had to keep track of more types of opponent information to play well.

Nexus Ops was a little more asymmetrical because of the changing, secret point-scoring objectives. The winner of our game was able to eek out his win by swinging between a series of hail mary attacks for high-point objectives while two players relentlessly ate away at his resource base. Had the game gone one more round, he would have been eliminated. Instead, he won. That made for a very tense and exciting game. Cyclades objectives are uniform, so the tactical fighting objectives are more obvious. The dynamic interest came in the bidding wars. We had to prepare resources for multiple tactical objectives to take advantage of possible auction outcomes.

I like Cyclades better because I enjoy the challenge of keeping track of interlocking mechanisms and predicting how players may implement them. Nexus Ops is more brawl-like fun; for pure dudes-on-a-map fighting, it's my game of choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players Nexus is better. For 4 they both great. Cyclades is a deeper game, you can win by no combat at all, it really is a fantastic hybrid game but needs 4 to shine.
Nexus ops is also really great and works fine for 2.
Both games have great components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Go for KEMET!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Go for KEMET!!

Kemet is rubbish with 2 imo, and Cyclades is better with more, tho Kemet is a good fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Zhou
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like playing Cyclades as a 2 player game. I don't think it's as bad as other people suggested. The trick here is that you got to bid for 2 gods in different orders, and there are some interesting strategic combinations. In someway I think it's similar to playing Citadels as 2 players, which is not bad at all.

Cyclades is my only 10/10 game. Maybe because I'm a sucker for greek mythology theme. I also like the combination of naval and land combat, where you can't invade other islands without a navy. Kinda reminds me of war between Germany and GB in WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
danithaca wrote:
I like playing Cyclades as a 2 player game. I don't think it's as bad as other people suggested. The trick here is that you got to bid for 2 gods in different orders, and there are some interesting strategic combinations. In someway I think it's similar to playing Citadels as 2 players, which is not bad at all.

Cyclades is my only 10/10 game. Maybe because I'm a sucker for greek mythology theme. I also like the combination of naval and land combat, where you can't invade other islands without a navy. Kinda reminds me of war between Germany and GB in WWII.

+1 to this. I am also sick of people around here dismissing a game simply because they personally like it better with more. I own both games and enjoy the, with two. I mainly game with my girlfriend and we have fun with both. They both play fine with two players.

One thing that is cool with Nexus Ops is the hidden objectives so it keeps things interesting. With Cyclades it is obvious what each player is trying to do. We also have the Hydaes expansion and that adds a ton of options to the game. Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I am also sick of people around here dismissing a game simply because they personally like it better with more.

Hey, Thomas. No need to be sick of anything (!) this is just a statement of preferences. We've been asked to anticipate whether the OP would enjoy the game primarily played with two players. As of this writing, 40.2 % of 132 voters say that Cyclades is "not recommended" as a two player game. This isn't to say that some people don't enjoy it and wouldn't enjoy it played with two. However, a sizable number of the game's players feel that way so it bears passing this on the OP. I don't think anyone is "dismissing" Cyclades. You "personally" like it with two. I'm sure you would agree that those who don't enjoy it with two have just as valid a point of view as your own. I'm glad you posted, though, as it gives a nice sample of the different feeling about the game. Hey, we can both agree it's a beautiful hybrid and a heck of an experience to play!

Now about that two player version of Cthulhu Wars...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Brother Jim. I only said it because I wish people could be more subjective when offering suggestions to new players; just because you like it with more doesn't mean they wont like it it with less.

Looks like CW 2-player rules are just each player controlling 2 factions. seems like a half ass solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Good point Brother Jim. I only said it because I wish people could be more subjective when offering suggestions to new players; just because you like it with more doesn't mean they wont like it it with less.

Looks like CW 2-player rules are just each player controlling 2 factions. seems like a half ass solution.

I'd agree with you on that first point. Hopefully that came though in my earlier post. As for CW, I bet we have a whole handful of alternate two player variants within weeks of its release.

I would suggest Claustrophobia to the OP but it looks like the game would be needed to accommodate four on occasion. Oh, well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, swaying towards nexus ops after reading everyone's advice, now now you have mentioned claustrophobia it's got me thinking of that as it is mainly for 2 players. I did look at that but wasn't Sure. You can probably tell I'm new to gaming at this level. Only other game I own with miniatures is ghost stories. I really like it as a solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Thanks guys, swaying towards nexus ops after reading everyone's advice, now now you have mentioned claustrophobia it's got me thinking of that as it is mainly for 2 players. I did look at that but wasn't Sure. You can probably tell I'm new to gaming at this level. Only other game I own with miniatures is ghost stories. I really like it as a solo.

Both my girlfriend and I hated Claustrophobia, it's a stripped down dungeon crawler. You would be better off investing in Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)! It plays great with two and up to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.