Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question on a rule that I have seen played both ways so I would like to get confirmation on which way is correct.

Do you still get the bonus points listed for spaces 1-4 on Kiev railroad(black track and locomotive out to these spaces), if you have advanced your gray track over these spaces? (assuming of course your locomotive reaches these spaces).

I played that you do not since these spaces no longer satisfy requirements - they are gray now, not black. However, I know another player who insisted that you continue to get the bonus points. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything in rules or these forums to confirm one way or the other.

This question is particularly significant if you put the Kiev medal token in to play (+20 pts for reaching space 5 on Kiev rail with Gray track). Would this scenario net you +30 points each round or just +20 for the medal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You still get the bonus. When it shows black track it means black track or better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
You still get the bonus. When it shows black track it means black track or better.

Exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ok but you won't get the accumulative points for both black and grey rail if both reach - let's say - level 8 and 9, will you?

If not, what is the point in advancing grey in Kiev?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you reach the 7th spot with the gray tile on the Kiev line all your revenue on the Kiev line is doubled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
no, this is true for St. Petersburg track! Kiev track is the one in the bottom ...

So why should one advance grey rail on Kiev?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry mixed up Kiev and Moscow. You get points for each grey track layed in addition to the bonus points awarded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sure, but that is not attractive at all, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Innovatormentor wrote:
So why should one advance grey rail on Kiev?

The Kiev medal - one of your ? token - gives you 20 more points as soon as you reach 5th spot with grey and a loco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see but if I don't choose this token I will hardly advance grey at all in Kiev track.

I find that the different tracks require a very specific strategy that is very obvious to everyone who played the game a couple of times. To me it boils down to the tactical timing, do I get this option first or later in my turn.

In Wladiwostok you go for the white rails, in St. Petersburg for the ?s, in Kiev for the bonus points and the extra worker.

I think the game and its strategery is not that vertile, and its rules are fairly complex for what it delivers (well written and awesome graphic design enhance the unterstanding, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Innovatormentor wrote:

I find that the different tracks require a very specific strategy that is very obvious to everyone who played the game a couple of times. To me it boils down to the tactical timing, do I get this option first or later in my turn.

True, but one hard thing is to choose the tracks you concentrate on - depending on the engineers and early actions of other players. The timing offers tough choices and many subtleties every turn.

Engineers are not the only possibility to have "private" actions spaces - a rush at one track might offer another - at least temporarily. There are many things to write on and consider imho, but I'm still starting to explore them myself and can't put my thoughts in a structure for an article right now. I will start with 2 thoughts:

1)I strongly feel, that scripted play 1. buy engineer 2. take money isn't the best way to play more often than not.

2)I don't think that money is always the better starting bonus than black track. Black track is the only inferior action among starting bonuses because you can always get it with your last worker, but advancing it at the start gives an advantage in speed towards other action spaces.

Your description of the tracks while true is way too simple imho. If you are still interested in the game I suggest to play a game at Yucata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for your reply:

Quote:
that scripted play 1. buy engineer 2. take money isn't the best way to play more often than not.

Is the double negation a mistake? Do you mean, although taking engineer and money early on your turn is very popular, it is often not the best option in your opinion?

Quote:
Your description of the tracks while true is way too simple imho. If you are still interested in the game I suggest to play a game at Yucata.

I completed one on Yucata, and still playing two there. I guess I just prefer more elegant yet more interactive games such as Imperial 2030. It strikes me that these multiplayer solitaire games such as RR, Agricola etc. are so popular nowadays ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
...If you are still interested in the game I suggest to play a game at Yucata.
News to me! I haven't been to Yucata for some time, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Innovatormentor wrote:

Quote:
that scripted play 1. buy engineer 2. take money isn't the best way to play more often than not.

Is the double negation a mistake? Do you mean, although taking engineer and money early on your turn is very popular, it is often not the best option in your opinion?

Yes, that's what I mean.

Innovatormentor wrote:
Quote:

I completed one on Yucata, and still playing two there. I guess I just prefer more elegant yet more interactive games such as Imperial 2030. It strikes me that these multiplayer solitaire games such as RR, Agricola etc. are so popular nowadays ...

Apparantely our opinions differ too much as I don't consider worker placement games multiplayer solitaire at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Innovatormentor wrote:

I completed one on Yucata, and still playing two there.

I had a brief look at it. First of all, I think the 2 player game - while giving an overall impression - is a bit weird as is often the case in worker placement games. I consider 4 player games much more interesting.

As for buying engineers: the grey engineer that gives 5 points and one grey track movement - as in your game - I wouldn't hestitate to buy because there are even better actions on the main board and essentially he only gives points while taking out speed as his action is always available anyway. That said, in 2 player games you often have to buy engineers early too and money might be more important because of the threat to monopolize it. That's why I dont' like the 2 player game experience very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.