Archon: Glory & Machination» Forums » General

Subject: Open remark on colours rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
@Publishers: Please don't ever use this colour scheme for cubes again. Pick colours that are easy to distinguish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Kitchen Rush: Piece of Cake - 16 April 2018 on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
@Publishers: Please don't ever use this colour scheme for cubes again. Pick colours that are easy to distinguish.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately many times what we request and what we receive differs. The tones we initially requested for each color were much more distinguishable than the ones we received in both print and wooden components.

A solution for any potential main board color distinction in to place a wooden cube on any spots that seem unclear.

Also, to answer your potential follow-up question as to "why we didn't just use standard colors like red, green, blue, and yellow", we tried to offer some more color-blind friendly options and at the same time avoid the "connection" between Magisters and players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rchon
Quote:
Also, to answer your potential follow-up question as to "why we didn't just use standard colors like red, green, blue, and yellow", we tried to offer some more color-blind friendly options and at the same time avoid the "connection" between Magisters and players.

Which is very much appreciated I actually do like the colour scheme. Much calmer than the garish combination you often get in games and which doesn't necessarily make it easier to differentiate. However, having played the game, it is true that they wood tones and white tones look very much alike, especially when you don't have strong lighting..

And, dear people at Artipia, one request though: (cause Drum Roll had the same "problem") please use different colours for the resources and player disks/pawns. There are 4 resources in Archon, and they ALL match one of the player's colours. It's quite confusing :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
regulus wrote:
There are 4 resources in Archon, and they ALL match one of the player's colours. It's quite confusing :/

I initially was afraid of this (due to nightmares of Attila), but as player colours have nothing to do with the resource cubes, I've not found this to be a problem. So I am wondering: What is the confusion about? (I'm asking because I want to see whether I've not run into this confusion because I am playing incorrectly or whether I am just not confused. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I do not see a problem in resources and player colours causing confusion.

What I do have a problem with is resource colours, and not only white to wood, but also on the print black to silver, really hard to distinguish if they are not next to each other on the same card. Unfortunately this causes problems especially for new players, before you learn what resources are needed where since it makes a quick overview difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, the silver could have looked more gray. I am actually gonna spray paint mine in actual silver, and make the natural cubes more brown.

The confusion is that new players tend to assiciate these cubes with heir colours, expand even though they can't serve another purpose, it would have been nice to see a clearer distinction. That's all :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea wow we played this tonight (ok 1/3 of the game) and the owner and other's played one full game earlier. After we started playing he (owner) pointed out that the grey cubes were useless and just for moving up the track and getting the better people for your deck. Well I had a moment between turns after hiring 2 soldiers with black cubes and noticed it said grey in the book. Well we looked at the board and cards and the black and grey are damn near identical. I actually had to stop playing after the first third as I got a headache trying to make sense of everything, only to look on KS which the owner recommended I to do and look at the darker board you were going to do, only to find out people didn't want that and I'm bummed. It's going to take some convincing to play this again because it just hurt to decipher everything, even the owner is trying to figure out what to do and is thinking of buying a marker and drawing on his board and cards. Poor form, the game has great potential but we screwed up the cubes needed on many occasions due to that. Not only the art on the board but the cubes being so close together (it sucks they didn't get you what you thought).

But man everything clashes together so closely on the board, it needs some better dividers or something. Glad I didn't back it or I'd be pissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to echo the comments. The colors make the game very frustrating to play. I would have rather received the game late than to have this disaster.

New players are struggling and confusing the black vs grey and the white vs off white. Insisting hat they misunderstood and they spent the past two turns acquiring the wrong resources thus causing their gaming experience to be ruined.

Notice, I'm not talking about gameplay. I'm referring to only colors. It is a great game ruined by bad colors. None of my players will play it anymore as this experience soured them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons and I played the game for the first time after receiving it just before Christmas. I loved the game -- the mechanics are facinating, the board and artwork is stunning. We all loved it. The only problem I saw was with the colors. I agree this can be frustrating, but once figured out would not ruin an otherwise tremendous game.

Just for clarification for me: what can I buy with silver (besides Magisters)? Do almost all buildings require stone (I am assuming that all building that have a whitish cube on them require stone).

Artipia: maybe you could post online the requirements and colors? Or someone could post a download file here on BGG? I think it would be very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dranton wrote:
My sons and I played the game for the first time after receiving it just before Christmas. I loved the game -- the mechanics are facinating, the board and artwork is stunning. We all loved it. The only problem I saw was with the colors. I agree this can be frustrating, but once figured out would not ruin an otherwise tremendous game.

Just for clarification for me: what can I buy with silver (besides Magisters)? Do almost all buildings require stone (I am assuming that all building that have a whitish cube on them require stone).

Artipia: maybe you could post online the requirements and colors? Or someone could post a download file here on BGG? I think it would be very helpful.

Hi Anton,

You use silver (with shield) to send warriors to the walls.
For buildings you use only stone (white) and/or iron (black).

Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.