United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the Carcassonne app lately and realized that I have no desire to play the boxed version again. I heard the Agricola app is quite good, but I'm worried that it will possibly burn me out on Agricola, which would be a shame.

I guess there are really two issues at work:

-Is the game simply better as an iOS game? (less fiddly, automated bookkeeping and scoring)

-Does the game hold up to hundreds of plays without getting stale? (impossible with in person gaming for me at least)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
iOS isn't as multiplayer table friendly.

Better for solo and linked play, or play at a restaurant, but real game nights function better with a boards easier for all to view simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not. I'd like to compare this to a book. I'm fine with reading e-books and I certainly see the advantages of e-books over old fashioned printed books. But for me it's just not the same feeling at all and I still prefer to read a paper-book over an e-book. With boardgames it's the same for me. It's okay to play virtual versions of games, no doubt bout that and it has its benefits like being able to play vs AI, to play on the train or the bus or to play against players from all over the world over the interwebs. But it's just not the same for me somehow. All the stuff you mention like scoring, setting up the game and ACTUALLY moving meeples, rolling dice and having a hand of cards in your REAL hand is what makes boardgaming what it is for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elder Sign app is a better experience than the physical game. I've heard that Neuroshima Hex is easier to play on the iPad than the physical game is. I personally don't care too much about the physical aspects of the hobby. The reason why I came to board game from video games is that board games are presenting more interesting gameplay at the moment. My girlfriend and myself play the pass-and-play mode on Small World a lot. It removes the fiddly tokens.

I also prefer reading on an e-ink screen over reading a physical book. An e-reader weighs less than the 800 page books I normally read and I don't have to hold down the pages with one hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ascension app did it for me, but in the long run it didn't hold up. One game got to looking very much like the last, and with different games between friends, it wasn't uncommon to have three, four, six, or more games going at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with OP. As a busy working parent with kids, having online and iOS versions of boardgames has really made it hard to justify pulling out cardboard. When the Dominion isotropic server was up, I played nearly 200 games; I've barely played Dominion since it came down. RFTG on BoardGameArena is so convenient and quick that playing it on the table is a major pain. Cities & Knights on Asobrain takes about 30 minutes, compared to 2-3 hours in person. Etc. etc.

Cardboard isn't dead - my in-person playing is now just limited to games that can't be fully replicated online, like Cosmic Encounter.

FYI - to avoid burnout on iOS games, don't play them solo or against AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder sign definitely. I could barely stand the print version, but really enjoy the app. I also prefer Neuroshima Hex app to the print version. Some of these apps help me play games I would otherwise never get to the table and will replace those versions in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, both are equally fun and viable. I have a ton of iOS games that keep me busy through the day or let me play with friends from around the country that I haven't seen in years. On game nights, it's all about the board games. My game nights completely overshadow any iOS experience I've had, but I wouldn't ever get rid of one or the other. Both have a well-earned place in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snappleman wrote:
For me, both are equally fun and viable. I have a ton of iOS games that keep me busy through the day or let me play with friends from around the country that I haven't seen in years. On game nights, it's all about the board games. My game nights completely overshadow any iOS experience I've had, but I wouldn't ever get rid of one or the other. Both have a well-earned place in my life.

This. I value both forms of gaming equally. And iOS versions of games have allowed me to play games that I would have never played physically, for various reasons, usually revolving around price and available people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjy Simpson
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apps have been a great addition to letting me game with friends more often. They've also really helped clarify rules for me. However, I unfortunately found out that easy repetitive play can definitely burn me out on a game. I played Ticket to Ride and Stone Age to death on my phone. I never want to pull my physical copy of TtR out anymore. And I would love to have the physical version of Stone Age, but as I've already tested so many strategies against the AI, I would decimate beginning players for quite some time while they learned the game - and that's not fun to new players (of course, throwing 25 games isn't fun to me either!)

I have to agree with what's been said above, "Play very little against the AI." With that in mind, I can now utilize the apps for long distance playing with friends and rules clarification....with a few solo games occasionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ios is great for 2 players, but for more I find it cumbersome. Also, card games seem to adapt better whereas games with larger boards are more tricky. I can't see myself wanting to play physical Ascension, but I wasn't too fond of Agricola on my tablet.

That said, if there were an electronic implementation I was comfortable with, I'd give away (or never get) my physical copy. I've got to clean up anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like playing Agricola or Le Havre shrunk down to a small screen. I have an easier time seeing the whole picture in cardboard form. Dominion is a game that I will pretty much only play in a digital format. I'll play Dominion in physical form if someone requests it, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hermann
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digital gaming has killed Dominion for me. I usually prefer the cardboard version over digital because the interaction is almost always better and it just has a better feel to it. I avoid the digital version of games for games I know I'll want to play as a cardboard version to avoid losing interest. On the other hand, games that feel too long for the complexity level(ex: stone age, seasons), I would prefer to play digitally since it reduces the play time dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no desire to play/buy the cardboard editions of Ascension and Penny Arcade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with previous posters that I would rather play the analog game around a table with friends rather than the iOS version. iOS games do fill a couple of niches for me, though.

Pass-and-play games are great on a family car trip. We use TTR frequently for this, and I'll play Tigris & Euphrates with my more game-oriented son (when someone else is driving).

Also, I tend to buy aps of games that i want to play but won't likely get to the table with my usual gaming partners. When Le Havre came back in stock at stores, I considered buying it as I really wanted to play it. However, we rarely get around to playing Agricola, even though several of us like it, so I don't think the Le Havre box would come off the shelf very often. So I bought the ap, and play against the AI when I feel like a game. T&E and San Juan fall into the same category.

So my answer to the OP is that there are times when I will buy the ap instead of the box game - but only if I feel that the box game won't get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The effects are mixed. Below are many of my various experiences with iOS or online games; but in summary, some iOS versions really got me interested in the physical games, some made me burn out on the games, and some helped me to realize that I really don't like the games and should not buy them. Overall, as someone who feels like he doesn't get to play physical games enough, I am very glad for electronic versions of games for increasing my playtime and exposure.

That being said, however, i would choose a physical play of a game with friends over electronic play in a heartbeat, of any game. The social experience, the tactile feel... can't be replaced.

Dominion: I own a physical copy, but playing online has greatly reduced my (once feverish) excitement to play my physical copy.

Ticket to Ride: have played quite a bit on my phone, and it has increased my interest somewhat in buying this game, although not enough to do it yet.

Ingenious: my wife and I playing together on our phones A LOT, leading us to buy a physical copy since we liked it so much, but we still play a lot more on our phones. It is our 2player on-the-go game.

Through the Desert, Samurai: have played on my phone and really love; would never have played in real life (because they are OOP and too hard to find), so extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to play these.

Tikal, Tigris and Euphrates: have loved playing these on my phone and am actively seeking to buy physical copies of these games that I never would have played without iOS versions.

Caylus: was interested by the hype, played on my phone, found the game quite drab and definitively decided not to buy it.

Blokus: own a copy and have physically played quite a bit but haven't found real players who can challenge me - however have found the AI to be more challenging than real players, increasing my interest in the game considerably.

Agricola: bought it for my phone, have played through the tutorial, and haven't been able to bring myself to play an actual game, making me sincerely question whether I would actually enjoy the physical game. We'll see.

Stone Age: have played extensively on my phone, was really into it for awhile but got a little burnt out on it. I feel like I've seen most of what there is to see in the game (except the computer never does starvation! ) and feel like the physical game will require too much calculation and take too long for what it is - so the iOS version convinced me this is a great game but also significantly decreased my interest in buying the actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Repeating Kits
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since playing Fruit Ninja on iOS, I never toss my fruit up to slice with my samurai sword any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lula lulacks
Greece
flag msg tools
Better(from printed version) on ios

1. Elder sign
2. Neuroshima hex
3. Small world
4. Eclipse
5. Pandemic
6. Stone Age (maybe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Repeating Kits
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
I guess there are really two issues at work:

-Is the game simply better as an iOS game? (less fiddly, automated bookkeeping and scoring)

-Does the game hold up to hundreds of plays without getting stale? (impossible with in person gaming for me at least)

To answer the OP specifically. I’m the same. Carcassonne was the first game I bought. And then bought the iOS version. And then sold the physical box soon after.

Similar thing happened with my copy of Dominion vs Tanto Cuore on iOS. Dominion is probably a better game. But Tanto Cuore is easier to play, and scratches the itch sufficiently.

In my case, my wife travels a lot, so these network iOS games fill in the dead time at airports etc. Especially now with FaceTime Audio built in, we can talk during gameplay.

hgoed wrote:
I think ios is great for 2 players, but for more I find it cumbersome. Also, card games seem to adapt better whereas games with larger boards are more tricky.

Tend to agree with this as well. We play 2-player Ticket To Ride on networked iPads. But for larger groups, the board game comes out. In the former, it’s an entertaining game. In the latter, it’s an event.

I also think this is one reason Settlers of Catan iOS (which is a 3-4 player game) is not quite as good as e.g. Carcassone iOS. The trading aspect is part of the social game, and doesn’t translate well onto the screen (also why the delayed multiplayer version is IMO still going to be lacking (speculation)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Scrybe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iOS is pretty decent for solo games but appalling for multiplayer. I definitely prefer the cardboard versions. I usually only play the iOS versions when I don't have access to my cardboard ones because I'm not at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Fischer
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest advantage of iOS board gaming is time efficiency. Games take a lot less time (no setup, no calculation etc.) and on top of that, many can be played in small chunks (asynchronous). If you're occupied by studying/working most of the time, that's an amazing way of still getting your board gaming going. As much as I like sitting down and playing an actual board game, I usually don't have the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Butt
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FYI some of these games are available on Android

Neuroshima Hex!
Carcassonne
' Catan
Tigris & Euphrates
Elder Sign
Ticket to ride

And Small World is in beta testing

Anyone know of any others on Android?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.