Popular Tags: [View All]
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of us could find it spelled out in the rules but it seems like something that should be pretty explicit: when can we move items from our Hold to our Stash or vice versa?

This leads us to other questions related to the Hold and Stash areas of our ship. When we obtain items (like passengers, contraband, etc) is it our choice to place them into either location? And what happens if both Hold and Stash are filled and we have the opportunity to take on something else, do we lose it? Or can we choose to dump something we already have and fill it instead with the new item/s? If we can dump, can we choose to dump from either Hold or Stash? The FAQ addresses the ability to dump fuel/parts/cargo/contraband at any time on our turn as a free action but it still doesn't address any of the above concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
when can we move items from our Hold to our Stash or vice versa?

I have no idea which thread it was, but I'm positive GF9 responding somewhere saying items can be rearranged at any time.

Ender Wiggin wrote:
This leads us to other questions related to the Hold and Stash areas of our ship. When we obtain items (like passengers, contraband, etc) is it our choice to place them into either location?

This is one of those things where I would say "Yip, you can put things anywhere" but then have nothing to back it up with. You raise a good point that it is never explicitly stated, but it seemed the natural/obvious way to play it.

Ender Wiggin wrote:
And what happens if both Hold and Stash are filled and we have the opportunity to take on something else, do we lose it? Or can we choose to dump something we already have and fill it instead with the new item/s? If we can dump, can we choose to dump from either Hold or Stash? The FAQ addresses the ability to dump fuel/parts/cargo/contraband at any time on our turn as a free action but it still doesn't address any of the above concerns.

I think the FAQ does address this one. If you don't have space you can't take anything else unless you get rid of something first. And since you can dump at any point during your turn, it seems fine to me to (for example) start a mission, get cargo, realise your hold/stash are full, dump something for space, put cargo in empty slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ruling that you can do it at any time during your turn. This becomes extremely important when using the "Bushwacking" variant I am about to play test. It is also important to clarify before the Alliance comes a-calling, of course. This would allow you to make any necessary changes when you take on more cargo, dump stuff, or make any other rearrangements--during your own turn.

It is, after all, another strategic decision that is part of the game, and must be made and lived with afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tricky part about being able to move items to/from Hold/Stash at any time during that player's turn is what if they pull the Nav card that tells them they lose any contraband stored in Stash? Can they then move the items into the Hold (assuming there is room there) before the effects of the card take place? "Any time during your turn" is just too forgiving. I'm not usually a rules lawyer but this was a point that kept coming up for all 4 players when we played it the first time just the other night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
The tricky part about being able to move items to/from Hold/Stash at any time during that player's turn is what if they pull the Nav card that tells them they lose any contraband stored in Stash? Can they then move the items into the Hold (assuming there is room there) before the effects of the card take place? "Any time during your turn" is just too forgiving. I'm not usually a rules lawyer but this was a point that kept coming up for all 4 players when we played it the first time just the other night.

You mean the one that says lose all contraband/fugitives NOT in your stash? Why not just keep contraband/fugitives in your stash until you run out of space? Pre-decide what is more valuable, or get solid with Harken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing "any time during your turn EXCEPT not while resolving a card, unless loading as a result of that card."

Basically, once you flip over a card, you have to deal with that card before rearranging stuff (if the card lets you load stuff, you can rearrange then).

It doesn't seem unreasonable to go to a simpler (but harsher) rule that says "before or after, but never during, an action on your turn." Thematically, you shouldn't be shifting stuff around during a full burn anyway, you should secure your cargo before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
You mean the one that says lose all contraband/fugitives NOT in your stash? Why not just keep contraband/fugitives in your stash until you run out of space? Pre-decide what is more valuable, or get solid with Harken.

That's the one (at work so I couldn't check). Not looking through the stack of Nav cards, we assumed there were other cards that force you to lose items in your Hold as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the show..(yeah, I'm gonna be THAT guy for a second...) They always seem to have time to put things in and out of the stash while "preparing to dock" Seems like every time they had a run in with the alliance, they were putting in, or taking back out.

I agree that it shouldn't be that easy in the game. I would lean towards the "do it whenever you want, EXCEPT when affected by cards flips, dice rolls, etc."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone. I suppose it would be nice to have an addendum to the FAQ for an official response - perhaps someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
dlhammond wrote:

That's the one (at work so I couldn't check). Not looking through the stack of Nav cards, we assumed there were other cards that force you to lose items in your Hold as well.

Customs check. The only other one is the Reshuffle card but stash won't protect you from that. Things are NEVER safer in your hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. How about "any time during your turn except when resolving a Navigation Card." (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, we started playing that you could rearrange only at the start of your turn. I don't know if I read it somewhere or carried it over from another game, but it seems to work fine.

Thematically, I like what everyone has been saying above: anytime, except when resolving a card. Even the captain can move cargo if the ship is in autopilot, but not quickly enough to respond to a sudden event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.