Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
letters initially sit on squares numbered from 1-6. (like B-1 C-2, D-3....J-1, K-2... etc), After each word, a 6D is rolled and all remaining letters on that number move one square AWAY from the player's side toward oblivion, (the other side could be a cliff or a fire or into a tornado, etc.) So, each new word creates an incentive to 'save' the letters most in danger. If a letter is 'lost' the group loses. Adjust the difficulty with different numbers of cards to play.

Could use a D20 and a track numbered from 1-17 I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Keller
Germany
Dietzenbach
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Save the Letters Co-op variant idea
That is actually a neat idea. I will test it! :D

Thanks,
Bernd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Winter Osterhaus
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't you also want to have a safe zone on the other side where you can save all of the letters, thus giving the game an end point? Then it would function just like the normal game except that the spaces would have the numbering and roll the D6 or d20 to move them.

Actually, you might want to roll 3 or 4 d20's each time to move that many letters. For the extra 3 numbers (18,19,20) they could have special effects like "move all letters one space" or something else.

cool idea.
max
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, a d6 , would give the 'Cliff of Doom' side the possibility to move about 3 letters each time, sometimes it would be the same letters as before. If testing found that to be too aggressive, then a d8 or more might work. Increase the number of spaces/'lanes' w'ever. If it was too easy for the co-op side, then maybe a d4 could be used? Or, as you say, multiple rols of the D6. Maybe even, 'add an additional roll of the D6 to move letters towards the Cliff for each additional 2 Players on the co-op team'.

maybe a letter is 'saved' if it's pulled back the center (or even one space back?), then flip it over to remove it from play? i dunno. Or letters on the co-op side become immune from the die?

It definitely needs some testing to balance it. If rules could be developed for the original board, it could be an expansion with number stickers or a numbered strip and a die and rules. makes the game a 1 player/solitaire option too!

The end could be either a letter 'falls' or, there are no letters left (masters game) or, some agreed-upon number of cards are played. maybe even something like; 10 cards plus an additional number determined by a die roll at game set-up? so 11-16 cards ? If you make it thru the card stack with no 'fallen' letters, you win. Of course, you could play until all letters are gone and if more fell from the Cliff, the Players lose.

I have to disclaim a little as, I just added the game to my wishlist so, those of you who have played/designed the game probably can suggest the best way to proceed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many colors do you guys use on the tiles? You might be able to use dice with colored faces. That way, no need for any numbered stickers. For increased challenge, 2-3-4 dice could be thrown.

maybe any letter that was pulled towards the cliff, becomes 'safe' when brought back to the center. Indicate it's safety/immunity by rotating the tile 90 degrees. perhaps have a few 'Rockslide' cards mixed into the deck that, when drawn, put all the 'safe' letters still in the center (or anywhere on the board?) back at risk and then rotate them back to original condition?

I just realized, I have 6 games in my small collection from AMIGO or OotB ! Bohnanza is what got us hooked on games way back in the 90s and I JUST got Take 6! from china thru dealextreme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any test results?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herbergsvatter wrote:
That is actually a neat idea. I will test it!

Thanks,
Bernd

any results yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered the revised edition for myself!

Hoping to play around with the variant idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game with 5 others on T'giving. Game went to 52 cards before it ended 8/7. 3 players per team. loads of fun!

I've thought more about a co-op/solitaire variant and I think just a number strip 1-17 and a custom card deck for the Cliff side of the street will work better and potentially be more fun.

I may try a version where, any letter pulled back to the median is saved (turned 90 degrees) Game over if the Cliff gets 6 tiles, the Players get 6 tiles, OR 9 tiles are saved.

Say - 2 'sets' of 1-17 for 34. That way, it makes card counting more difficult as the same number 'could' appear immediately or soon for the Cliff.

Now, some fun cards for the Cliff. Suppose there were a card that, if pulled for the Cliff, said, Players must choose a tile and move it 2 spaces to the Cliff.

Another card that says the tile moved on the Cliff's last turn, moves over again.

Another that the Player's can keep to cancel a normal Cliff move of their choice.

Another card that lets the Player's 'save' a letter of their choice. (letters are 'saved' by rotating 90 degrees.)

maybe some or all of the above cards are removed from the game when used once.

Also, difficulty could be increased by flipping 2 or more cards on the Cliff's turn. Stay with one flip for teams with kids.

I'm gonna buy a cheap deck of cards to mess around with today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cliff is DEFINITELY too weak at one card. Seems weak at 2 so, I think the Cliff needs to flip 3 cards - and maybe 4 after the Players win 6 or 7 tiles.

The game doesn't seem to need the 'rotate a tile 90 degrees' business. Basically, the tile is 'saved' when the Players get it off the street.

Just trying to get the Cliff as powerful as a human team is enough I think.

This is because the Cliff cannot 'target' a letter so, it really needs to keep/gain power as the game moves on.

Actually, solitaire is not bad this way but, I think co-op would be better.

At present I have 2 'Players lose a turn' cards, and 2 'Players Move a Tile 2 Spaces to Cliff', cards mixed in with the Cliff's 2 sets of 1-17 cards. Just reshuffling when I get thru Cliff's deck.

Maybe if each card had 2 or 3 'random' numbers 1-17 printed on it, but really, it's the same as flipping 3 I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - I just won, 8/3 after 54 cards of solitaire. The Cliff sucked-up the letter 'F' fairly early!

I did change to flipping 4 cards after I won 7 tiles.

Seems a little long so, maybe Solitaire should be; flip three Cliff cards until you win 5 or 6 tiles, then flip 4 after that.

I learned I need to tweak the 'special' cards but, it seems to work fairly well. I like the special cards, they add tension and variety.

the rules should definitely say, resolve/move each Cliff card in the order they are drawn.

I need to really thik about what happens when 2 or more special Cliff cards occur in sequence.

Other than that, and maybe tweaking a little for co-op, it works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After I won 5 tiles, I began flipping 4 cards for the Cliff til the end. I played to 8 to be more consistent with the rules and what I had done before.

59 cards for me to win 8/7, I was using the timer for myself. Felt like I had to really concentrate on 'defense'. I think co-op would be easier, not sure though.

re-cap;

34 number cards, 2 each 1-17 to match a numbered strip (1-17) on the Cliff side of the board.

5 Special cards as follows;

Players move a tile of their choice 2 spaces towards the Cliff (2 each)

Players move 3 different tiles 1 space towards the Cliff (1)

Players lose next turn (1)

Players flip 2 more cards. (1)(this one is sometimes in your favor, sometimes to the Cliff's advantage.)

(since 'special' cards count as one of the 3/4 cards, it sometimes reduces the Cliff's power so, it's kinda off-set)

And yes, it's sometimes frustrating when these flip sequentially!

I switched to 4 Cliff cards after my fifth tile. I think multiple players might switch after their 4th tile but, that needs testing. And of course, some of you vocabulary wizards may find this too easy so, use 4 card flips each time or after winning 2 tiles w'ever.

There is a fair amount of reshuffling of the Cliff deck but, it's kinda nice that there's a break from the tension. In a co-op game it would give a little 'socializing' time.

Thinking about 2-3 more types of cards for the Cliff deck.

maybe one that the Players keep until the next shuffle that lets them negate any single card the Cliff gets - a tile move, or any special card. One time use. If used or not, it goes back in at the next shuffle.

Maybe a 'move 2 tiles one space to Cliff' card.

Maybe a 'Players take an additional turn'.

Kinda needs more testing. Since I just have myself as a tester, it seems weird. Still, there's enough room for tweaking with special cards and how many Cliff deck cards to flip that I think it could work for other folks.

fun stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
same as above except I switched to 4 cards for the Cliff after I won 4 tiles.

I won 8/7 after 37 cards.

Most of the special cards really give the cliff a lot of strength in the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The street's landslide toward the Cliff only got 3 letters to my 8 this time. I played 37 of the green cards. I also added some more special cards. I'm gonna pull one that favors the players.(players gain an extra turn)

There is room on top/under the tiles for my Cliff deck and an accordion folded strip of paper about 2 1/2" wide with the numbers 1-17 on it. Box still closes. I also have a few experimental Cliff cards under the category card caddy.

It occurs to me that, if custom cards were being printed, or some type of letter flashcards could be found, you could do away with the number strip and just use the letters themselves printed on the cards. Plus of course, the special cards. I quite liked the ' save this card to negate a Cliff card' special card. Creates a debate on how long to keep it/when to use it. Since it must go into the next shuffle whether used or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played a coupla rounds of solitaire and the Cliff won round 2 !

8 to my 6

Played about 22 of the green cards, I flip 4 cards until I have won 5 tiles, then I flip 5 Cliff cards for the rest of the game. The first game playing this way, I won 8/6 in 17 cards.

I must say, whether this solo variant or the normal rules, this is a great game. I like how you have to be defensive as well as offensive.

This game and Tisby are probably the best wordgames I've played. Not that I don't like Boggle or Scrabble, etc. , but they are below Word on the Street for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played a co-op round with 5 players and the humans won 8 to 6.

everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Played with one modification over my solitaire games; began flipping 5 cards after we won 4 tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
After I won 5 tiles, I began flipping 4 cards for the Cliff til the end. I played to 8 to be more consistent with the rules and what I had done before.

59 cards for me to win 8/7, I was using the timer for myself. Felt like I had to really concentrate on 'defense'. I think co-op would be easier, not sure though.

re-cap;

34 number cards, 2 each 1-17 to match a numbered strip (1-17) on the Cliff side of the board.

5 Special cards as follows;

Players flip 2 more cards. (1)(this one is sometimes in your favor, sometimes to the Cliff's advantage.)

(since 'special' cards count as one of the 3/4 cards, it sometimes reduces the Cliff's power so, it's kinda off-set)

And yes, it's sometimes frustrating when these flip sequentially!

I switched to 4 Cliff cards after my fifth tile. I think multiple players might switch after their 4th tile but, that needs testing. And of course, some of you vocabulary wizards may find this too easy so, use 4 card flips each time or after winning 2 tiles w'ever.

There is a fair amount of reshuffling of the Cliff deck but, it's kinda nice that there's a break from the tension. In a co-op game it would give a little 'socializing' time.

Thinking about 2-3 more types of cards for the Cliff deck.

maybe one that the Players keep until the next shuffle that lets them negate any single card the Cliff gets - a tile move, or any special card. One time use. If used or not, it goes back in at the next shuffle.

Maybe a 'move 2 tiles one space to Cliff' card.

Maybe a 'Players take an additional turn'.

Kinda needs more testing. Since I just have myself as a tester, it seems weird. Still, there's enough room for tweaking with special cards and how many Cliff deck cards to flip that I think it could work for other folks.

fun stuff!

I still want to dump the number strip, and get about 40 letter cards. (like some cheap Flash cards) for The Cliff. I'd use 2 letter cards for each tile, plus write the special functions on a few others. maybe 40-42 cards total.

In addition to the functions mentioned above, my middle daughter suggested a card; "Move the alphabetically first remaining tile to the Cliff" and it's corollary; "Move the Alphabetically last remaining tile to the Cliff" as more challenges to the humans. Or one card to move first AND last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Save the Letters from The Cliff (like the Street is on the side of a mountain)

well, it kept developing but, if I were going to do it NOW, I'd get 2 cheap Alphabet Flash card sets, pull out the letters that match the tiles to begin building The Cliff's deck. So, there's 2 letter cards for each tile (34 cards). Then, get a marker to create 'special move' cards for the Cliff's deck (write on the vowel/unused cards);

'Special' cards as follows;

Players flip 2 more cards. (1) (this one is sometimes in your favor, sometimes to the Cliff's advantage, since 'special' cards count as one of the 3/4/5 cards, it sometimes reduces the Cliff's power so, it's kinda off-set)

Another special card I have tried and you might experiment with was "Players keep this card as a Token to use on a subsequent turn to ignore ANY Cliff card, as if it weren't drawn. (but, this Token card must be shuffled back in on the next discard pile shuffle)"

In addition to the functions mentioned above, my middle daughter suggested a card; "Move the alphabetically first remaining tile to the Cliff" and it's corollary; "Move the Alphabetically last remaining tile to the Cliff" as more challenges to the humans. Or one card to move first AND last.

So, you create a Cliff deck of 39 - 42 or so cards.

And yes, it's sometimes frustrating when these flip sequentially! But, it's fun to try to 'card count' which special cards may be left as the Cliff's deck is depleted.

Play for the humans is the same as a regular game, use the timer to time yourselves after a card draw. The Cliff is kinda weak, having no brain, so, after the humans' turn, flip 4 CLIFF cards and move letters toward the Cliff per that shown on the card, or follow the instructions written on the 'special' cards. After the humans have won 4 tiles, begin flipping 5 Cliff cards. You can adjust this for difficulty . Flip more Cliff cards sooner, or start with 5, or 3 or, remove a special card or 2 for younger players depending on whether vocabulary Gurus or kids are playing. Discard the Cliff cards after moving for The Cliff. Perform the moves for The Cliff sequentially. If you run out of Cliff cards during its turn, shuffle the discard deck and draw to finish the turn.
Oh, we have a house rule; no use of 'refrigerator' or 'Mississippi' ! lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Osborn
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the flashcard idea is good, but I don't have those now. I played with a D20 against the 1-17 number strip and added the following tweaks:

Rolling an 18 or 19 - Move a tile of your choice which is closest to your side towards the Cliff

Rolling a 20 - Move a tile of your choice which is closest to the Cliff towards the Cliff.

--------

This variant provided a good, back-and-forth fight for tiles. Easy to set up and play.

------------
Edit:

After scanning this thread again, I don't think I followed the variant as closely as I thought. I really played the standard rules for the most part. I approached it was the "first to 8 tiles wins" goal and used the die to pull tiles away from my side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good idea! Hmmm.... if you used 2 D10s or D12s, you'd have more 'special' moves PLUS doubles for special moves!

And I thought of a fun new Special Move; - PRISONER EXCHANGE, the relative position of 2 tiles is swapped. That is, move - say - a W or P that is in danger on the Cliff side back towards the center, your choice of how far, - then, the humans must choose a tile to move CLOSER to the Cliff an equal number of spaces.

I need to either scan in the tiles and have Printerstudio print a deck; or, just pay for and modify 2 sets of; http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

if you like word games, get Quiddler ,old but is still quite fun. I wish Tisby would be reprinted - or made into a computer game. Probably my favorite word game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I realize it's been about a year since the last update but I just stumbled upon this topic today after having a similar idea following a recent game play.

I like the idea of using the flashcards. However, I was wondering if there was some way to use blind draws from a bag of Scrabble letter tiles to move the Word on the Street letters away from the player's side. That way, due to the distribution of letters in the Scrabble bag, the more common letters are more likely to be drawn out the bag.

I guess one could remove the missing Word On the Street letters from the Scrabble bag or, better yet, use these letters for Special Moves like those mentioned above (some additional ideas- If it is a common letter, Player is required to use the letter in their answer or 2 letters drawn. If it is an uncommon letter, if Player uses it in the answer, no letter drawn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh yeah, I could see that working well. Just create a 'cheat sheet' for the 'special moves'. Assign one to each vowel?

might be easy enough to pick-up a scrabble game at a thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.