Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a second time, I'm modifying another poster's ideas for play testing. Thanks to George Krubski for his Crew Keyword Abilities thread, and all who contributed. This is the version I'll be play testing.

FIREFLY: CREW OCCUPATION ABILITIES

By Chas

(Based on a First Draft by George Krubski)

Crew members with the following occupations also include the abilities noted under their own headings below. A “Normal” planet is a non-Supply planet, which also includes Contact location planets (unless they are both, in which case it is a Supply planet after all). An ability stated as occurring on a Normal planet cannot be performed on a Supply planet.

MECHANIC

A Mechanic can buy one Parts item on a normal planet. No more can be purchased during the same action, even if more than one Mechanic is present in the crew.

PILOT

A Pilot can buy one Fuel item on a normal planet. No more can be purchased during the same action, even if more than one Pilot is present in the crew.

SOLDIER

A Soldier can add $100 per soldier to a Make Work action on any planet.

MERCENARY

1. Two Mercenaries can add $100 to a Make Work action on any planet. Each pair can add $100 to the total.

2. If Mercenaries are not paid after a job and Disgruntled for the first time, make a Mercenary die roll: on a result of 1-2 they leave the crew and return to their supply planet discard decks.

COMPANION

Having a Companion allows a Leader to pay only all Disgruntled crew members during Shore Leave. This must include the Disgruntled Companion.

GRIFTER

1. “The Con:” When Passengers (not Fugitives) are on board, each Grifter may make a die roll. On a result of 5-6, gain $100. However, each Grifter can only make this roll once per Leader (per hiring, if he is taken on again, he may make another try). This does not count as an action.

2. “Slim Pickins:” Crew must Misbehave successfully once on a normal planet; this counts as a Work action. Each Grifter may roll a die: 5-6 gains $100 per successful roll.

3. “Rich Pickins:” Crew must Misbehave successfully once on a Supply planet; this counts as a Work action. Each Grifter may roll a die: 5-6 gains $200 per successful roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mechanic and Pilot sound a bit confusing to me. If you have them you can buy only one part/ fuel? I was pretty sure you could do that at any planet - and there was still no limit to it either.

Unless I have it wrong (which I could), I'd change it to a "Buy x2; get x1 free" deal.

I do like the Companion and Grifter option. For the later, I'd probably pass on "The Con" option, but thats just me. Looks like it would roll a LOT of dice.

I'd also reverse the Solider/ Merc deal. Mercinaries are more individuals and likely to be more "jack of all trades", while Soldiers are more squad-focused. Let the Mercs earn $100/ each with the penalty they can leave earlier, and the Soldiers earn $100 per pair.

My thoughts on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts!

The options are kept minimal, so as not to change the game balance. You are right about how the normal buying rules work.

PILOT AND MECHANIC: This is an option for gaining stuff on a normal (Non-Supply) planet, so you can get 'desperation' stuff on a planet where you usually can't buy anything (you can only buy on Supply Planets.) It is meant to help if you get stranded away from a Supply Planet. Hence the different and more limited mechanics.

GRIFTER: The average crew will only have one or two of them at a time, if that.

SOLDIERS AND MERCENARIES: Soldiers are the better alternative, when you can get them. Mercs are less reliable, less disciplined, etc., but easier and cheaper to get in the game. So its a game balance design intent, rather than a conceptual idea. The guy who did the first draft of these rules did it the same way, although with a slightly different mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.