Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be looking for a practice basket. I really need to work on my putting. I think if I can improve and increase my comfort distance I'll enjoy the game more.

I want something as close to the permanent PDGA approved baskets on official courses as possible, but not $300. Some of the portable ones look really flimsy and small.

On the flip side, I guess, practicing with a small target should make the larger official ones easier to hit right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called a tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Short distance putting against a recliner/couch works great. Just don't miss and hit the painting behind it.

Edit: Have you considered making one? You can do so cheaply with an old bicycle rim and some chains. Not official but it will serve its purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an Instep basket in my back yard. I got it off craigslist for $50 but the new ones are only like $100 or so anyway.

It only has one set of chains, still it caught just fine, and my putting has improved greatly, but I went to home depot and bought seven more chains and a steel ring and created an inner ring of chains too. I think they all cost me less than $10 I just zip tied the chains to the top of the basket, and hooked them to the free floating ring at the bottom so they curled inward like the inner set on typical baskets.

Here I googled a thread on the modification to add chains, this is probably a bit more professional than the way I did it.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=19430
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
My putting is so wildly inconsistent. Some days I'm magic. Other's I'm poop. I'd settle for consistently average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
It's called a tree.

Using the one in my back yard was actually my first thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
erak wrote:
It's called a tree.

I use a tree in a stranger's backyard, and over the fence. That's where my discs usually end up anyway, so I might as well practice like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
erak wrote:
It's called a tree.

I use a tree in a stranger's backyard, and over the fence. That's where my discs usually end up anyway, so I might as well practice like that.

Would be tough to put the tree in the garage to practice over the winter. The wife would most likely not approve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Shadowen wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
erak wrote:
It's called a tree.

Would be tough to put the tree in the garage to practice over the winter. The wife would most likely not approve.

Well if you're gonna practice in the garage, why not use a round laundry basket? I'm sure you could find some way of elevating it, if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
This thread is worthless. The guy wants a portable basket. Either recommend one or keep the stupid ass comments to yourself.

Jeff - Go look at dgcoursereview.com or discgolfscene.com for actual recommendations.

Ah, make fun of disc golf, and there's always the one guy who gets offended.

Then again, try to convince me to use anything other than an Ultrastar in a game of Ultimate and watch me rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
... or keep the stupid ass comments to yourself.

Hi, welcome to Chit Chat, you must be new here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Then again, try to convince me to use anything other than an Ultrastar in a game of Ultimate and watch me rage.

I have a Wham-O Official Ultimate Frisbee that works just fine. Besides, the game is called Ultimate Frisbee, so I mean, we might as well use the company that owns the name Frisbee's Frisbee, right, otherwise, we're not really playing the game right.

Right?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
erak wrote:

I have a Wham-O Official Ultimate Frisbee that works just fine. Besides, the game is called Ultimate Frisbee, so I mean, we might as well use the company that owns the name Frisbee's Frisbee, right, otherwise, we're not really playing the game right.

Right?!?

Wham-Os don't feel right to me. Both the material and the depth of the lip are off. And technically, it's just called "Ultimate", but that's a pretty stupid name for an otherwise fun sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
erak wrote:

Right?!?

Wham-Os don't feel right to me. Both the material and the depth of the lip are off. And technically, it's just called "Ultimate", but that's a pretty stupid name for an otherwise fun sport.

Your rage has become quite tame as you get older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
erak wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
erak wrote:

Right?!?

Your rage has become quite tame as you get older.

Your FACE is tame as you get older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Your FACE is tame as you get older.

Snap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.