Popular Tags: [View All]
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through a game, and got my butt handed to me because a fire broke out and destroyed two rooms. It was partly a factor of bad rolls, partly that the sprinkler room was too far away for me to put out the fire, and partly that I never drew any equipment to help put out the fire.

But having the Darkness Track advance one every time a room is destroyed is just fatal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is for sure. When I've explained the game every time I make sure to mention that if we let a fire run rampant, it's game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was after I learned this lesson that I realized that the firefighter is definitely worth using.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire is without competition the element in the game that is the most neglected by first time players. Usually they are so focused on the creatures they tend to forget the fire is spreading rapidly.
"Hey, we can handle that" is the phrase that usually is expressed...and that one fatal fire spread roll is performed and the crucial path towards the endgame is blocked

A session I never forget had the heli-mini-expansion integrated.
The team had battled their way through the house and defeated the Nemesis. However, an uncanny set of fire spread rolls had moved the fire towards the heli. The group had agreed the heli would be destroyed when 2 burn tokens would be placed on the tile. As guided by some evil force the spread rolls formed a perfect line from the center of the house towards the heli.
And sure enough....exactly one turn before the team would have entered the heli....
BOOM!

Needless to say this set of players have developed a very neurotic anti-fire attitude since that doomed session

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the mechanics of how a fire spreads, the odds that the fire will stay put and destroy an exterior room (and especially a corner room) go up significantly. So I figure that if a fire breaks out in an interior room, I'm probably ok for a couple rounds. But as soon as it hits a corner, I'm screwed unless I put that puppy out RIGHT NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.