Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a team battle this past weekend with my wife and son. My son is a 3-year-old Star Wars fanatic who has taken a liking for all characters with "Darth" or "Fett" in their name. He chose Boba Fett and Greedo for himself. I let him choose my characters, and of course, I ended up with Jengo Fett and Zam Wessell. My wife chose a respectable nemesis for each of the Fetts - Han Solo with Chewbacca and Obi-Wan Kenobi with 2 clone troopers. My son chose to duel in the Geonosis arena. Turn order was Boba, Han, Jango, Obi-Wan.

My son has an obsession with taking out minor characters first, and this game was no different. On his first 2 turns, Boba and Greedo knocked out both clone troopers. Without cover, and facing 4 blaster characters, Obi-Wan hid behind the fallen pillars for a couple turns, building up a strong hand of cards. Boba and Greedo took advantage of his position and played a sudden arrival and rocket retreat to box in Obi-Wan. He was trapped between the two of them, the fallen pillar, and the edge of the board. Now, he had to fight his way out.

Meanwhile, Jengo and Zam were battling with Han and Chewie. After some heavy back and forth firing, Han was eliminated, but Jango was down to 1 hit point. He rocket retreated to safety behind the pillars, leaving Chewie and Zam to battle it out. Zam got the upper hand and simply outlasted Chewie. It was now 4 bounty hunters against Obi-Wan.

Finally, a ray of hope for Obi-Wan. He eliminated Boba. It was now down to 1 major character for each side. Maybe Obi-Wan could win this after all. Alas, Zam stepped in for Boba and kept Obi-Wan blocked in, buying time for Jango to build up a hand of cards. He fought his way out of the trap by eliminating Greedo.

Obi-Wan charged at Jengo and his 1 hit point. Jango played a rocket retreat, forcing Obi-Wan to travel the entire distance of the board to get back to him. Along the way, Obi-Wan was peppered with shots from Jango and Zam. By the time Obi-Wan reached Jango, he was down to 1 hit point as well. With all his defensive cards spent along the way, Obi-Wan was vulnerable. Jango went at him with 2 attacks, besting him on the second try. Jango kept his head on his shoulders in the Geonosis arena this time.

Matches like this one validate the game being called "Epic Duels". Clearly, maneuvering played a huge role this time, with the hiding, the trapping, the rocket retreats, and even a sudden arrival for good measure. My wife didn’t hold back, even though one of her opponents was a 3-year-old. I was impressed with my son’s ability to hold his own throughout the battle. He may not have made the best use of his cards and actions every turn, but that trap on Obi-Wan was pretty clever. Preventing Obi-Wan from building up a big hand of cards proved critical in the end, even though it ultimately meant sacrificing Boba and Greedo for the team win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
My wife didn’t hold back, even though one of her opponents was a 3-year-old.

Classic! Mean gamer wives rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.