Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is preparing for the AP French exam and her teacher is eager to have the kids practice speaking French more often outside of class. There's a French club that meets at school and Timeline: Inventions was not only a big hit as an activity, but also prompted some fun/interesting conversation among those playing. Which led me to start thinking about other games that might have the same effect or, even better, require casual conversation.

Dixit was my first thought, but since fluency and quickness are what they're looking for in terms of speaking ability, the surrealism might actually impede discussion.

If I were answering the parallel question for an English as a Second Language course, the game I'd probably recommend would be Snake Oil (which basically requires you to make a convincing elevator pitch for a fictional product).

The school isn't prudish (and I know that there are some Cards Against Humanity lovers in the group), so that's not an issue, but they are all American teens, so any game that depends heavily on French cultural references probably wouldn't work for them.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time's Up!
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game
Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box

might also fit the bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cranium! Or buy simple game in french! Like Dominion in french or things like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
A french version of a trivia game?

Good old Trival Pursuit... french version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a ton of great options.

Petits Meurtres & Faits Divers or Petits meurtres & faits divers: au tribunal - These are basically pure storytelling games where the innocent suspects all have the same unusual set of three words they must utter in their alibi. The guilty player has three different unusual words that they must work in.

The Big Idea - This has enjoyed a second wind and seems to have been quite popular in France, I think they even have some expansions. This is basically the same thing as Snake Oil, isn't it? Just in French.

Who Would Win - This was recently released in French and would be perfect (it's called simply "Win" there), though I would imagine that some of the people might not be as familiar to American teens.

Speed Dating - This is very similar to Who Would Win, you have a hand of attribute cards and have to make a case for why your person would be a good match for someone else. There are a few risqué cards and some that would only make sense to a French person, but there are still a ton that would work well.

Duplik - The French version is called Identik (though I think the newer English-language version is also called Identik, it used to be called Portrayal), I think this would be really good for having them have to describe something in French.

Ici Londres - Might be a little too simplistic. This is very very similar to Dixit Jinx, with a French Resistance theme on top and a stricter requirement on what you can say (basically a simple sentence with a subject, verb and object)

Thématik - The talking here is more just yelling out things that fit the particular category though.

Où étiez-vous? - You basically have to give the exact same alibi as your partner under the questioning of the rest of the group, except that you are not both in the room at the same time.

Fame Us - This was originally in French, but is also available in English. This is most similar to Such A Thing - you just keep adding attribute cards. The discussion would arise when someone calls your bluff and you have to defend your choice of celebrity.

I also think games like Werewolf, Resistance, Intrigue, Quo Vadis? or 2 Rooms and a Boom would work well if simply played in French. I think a French version of Taboo would be really good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.