Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just scored a mint condition 1967 3M version off Ebay. Curious: the four boards are attached together with a sort of very thick clear tape "hinge" (so they fold up into a stack, but cant be rearranged). I know the Avalon Hill version I had as a child did not have this (boards were all separate). Just wondering if this is something 3M did, or if it was an invention of the previous owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
sunsanvil wrote:
Just scored a mint condition 1967 3M version off Ebay. Curious: the four boards are attached together with a sort of very thick clear tape "hinge" (so they fold up into a stack, but cant be rearranged). I know the Avalon Hill version I had as a child did not have this (boards were all separate). Just wondering if this is something 3M did, or if it was an invention of the previous owner.

Mine is the 3M version (purchased new at the time) and it came hinged also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thats actually very interesting. So the original designers felt there was only one way to arrange the boards. The "T" shaped layout for a three person game I remember playing in the 80s must have been an invention of Avalon Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know there were previous or other layouts. Interesting.

Since my copy is in great shape yet, not going to search/try alternative layouts. Haven't been able to get this gem on the table for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yea, IIRC the Avalon hill had suggestions for a small 2-person game using only two boards, or a 3-person game with the boards arranged in a "T" shape (so each player starts on their own board with the forth board connecting them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my 3M copies are hinged and so are other 3M titles like Ploy with the plastic boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3M 1969, no hinge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delusion  
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
My first copy was hinged, my second wasn't. The board layout of my second copy was also just slightly different with regard to where the mountain squares were (just one of them, actually, but it was in one of the "fast lanes", which is really odd), and that was somewhat jarring. I don't know if this was an edition quirk or a printing mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The more I thought about this, the more I recalled about our old AH edition: It came with "clips" to go on the underside of the board to hold them together (we never used them because they didnt hold well and made the surface more wonky than if you just set it on the table loose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Toth
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I inherited a copy of this from my uncle and always thought it was added later. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either my ebay copy came without being taped together, or I removed the tape immediately after I got it because as a kid I know we played it with completely modular boards.

Therefore, would someone who has them taped together please post a photo of the layout? That would seem to be the "recommended" layout and thus of interest, and something not provided in the instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.